Thoughts on Week 1 Packers-Bears (Amos Game)

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
*Game MVP = Packers punter JK Scott (who looks like…JK Rohwling)

*Big Play of the game = 3rd quarter, Bears down 7-3, 2nd and 5 from the GB 28…Allen Robinson gets behind everyone, Trubisky can either throw the ball in front of Robinson into the end zone for a TD, or he can throw the ball to the wide open middle of the field and have Robinson run to the ball for a TD. Instead, Trubisky throws the ball late and toward the sideline short of the endzone…Robinson catches the ball but is out of bounds. After a comedy of errors, the Bears wind up with 0 points.

*Funny that Adrian Amos of all people gets the game-clinching INT. I like how he was kind of showing off the ball to the Bears, and Cohen knocked it out of his hands.

Positives:

*Week 1 of an NFL season is usually the worst barometer of a team. I think we’ll probably see that the Packers will be a bit better than projected this year, but they still don’t have much going for them on offense at either the skill positions or the interior OL. I expect the Bears to finish with a better record than GB.

*The Bears played poorly and still were in the game and only lost by 7. Had they played this poorly against GB five years ago, they would have lost by 30. I think it shows how much better the Bears roster has become.

*Allen Robinson reminded me of Terrell Owens in that Eagles-Patriots SB from many years ago. He went beast mode while the rest of the offense was dreadful.

*Bears defense very strong, especially the DL. Packers OL is a ‘finesse’ unit, and the Bears DL mauled them. The Packers had a little success running the ball by letting Roquan Smith overrun the play and cutting back, but usually the RBs were stonewalled behind the line (many times by Smith).

*Eddy Piniero made his FG attempt.

*Roy Robertson-Harris played particularly well. It seemed like every 3-down set from GB’s offense would have at least one sack/OL holding penalty.

Negatives:

*Last year when the Bears lost to GB in the opener, you felt like the Bears took a step forward because they played well. This year it’s the opposite. I think the worst part from a ‘narrative’ standpoint is that the Bears were so bad that things became inarguable….lack of preseason work cost them offensive cohesion, Nagy’s playcalling sucked, Trubisky is inaccurate, Trubisky is a product of Nagy scheming guys open, Bears lack of a proven kicker affects how they manage the game.

*Whomever was touting the Bears OL needs to reassess. The no-name Packers defense kind of dominated them. The Packers blitzed a lot, but perhaps that was because the Bears showed early on that they couldn’t handle it. Leno, Daniels and the RBs were regularly beaten. Trubisky didn’t really help, because on the times when the Bears did pick up the blitz, Trubisky held the ball for a “Jay Cutler” length of time.

*David Montgomery had a surprising deep reception, but he looked terrible running the ball. Too much Marion Barber in his style, fighting off defenders one at a time, too much stop-start, breaks 4 tackles and gains 1 or 2 yards. I didn’t like what I saw.

*Roquan Smith getting beat deep for a PI by a lumbering/bionic Jimmy Graham was ridiculous.

*Aaron Rodgers had a Jon Lester game…his best stuff left him years ago, baserunners were always on, yet he found a way to outsmart the Bears defense to do just enough to win the game. His box score isn’t impressive, his 3rd down conversions were nonexistent, but I think it was impressive that Rodgers didn’t get strip-sacked, he recovered his own fumble (somehow), and didn’t throw an INT.

*The only game I’ve seen Trubisky play worse was the Rams game. We had the expected CCS idiocy coming into the game of Drew Brees comps, but I think the more interesting conversation was someone saying “at least we know Trubisky’s floor is Alex Smith” or something along those lines. I guess we don’t know that Trubisky’s floor is, TBH. He was inaccurate, indecisive, and surprisingly showed poor pocket presence. During the broadcast Collinsworth said something like “I really expected the Bears offense to take the next step due to all of their offseason acquisitions” and my response was “HUH?” Who did the Bears acquire on offense that would move the needle? It was just a bunch of Eddie Royal type guys who Nagy was supposed make into superstars…Patterson, Mike Davis, Montgomery, Ridley, etc.

*The Bears really missed Jordan Howard. His running, his blocking. Its not a popular opinion, but perhaps they win this game if they still have Jordan Howard.

*Another unpopular opinion is that the Bears desperately need/needed Anthony Miller to develop into a WR2. Gabriel is so much better as a WR3, and Miller was virtually invisible last night. Whoever did that video breakdown of Miller that lazily touted his TD catches and called him a ‘workhorse’ couldn’t have been happy with last night’s performance.

Criticisms of Nagy:

*Yeah, it gets its own section.

*Completely abandons the run, again, despite the game being close. The Packers were blitzing virtually every down in the 2nd half because they knew Trubisky was passing. Its almost like they welcomed an aerial assault from Trubisky, a la Charles Woodson-Jay Cutler. Tarik Cohen had zero carries.

*The Packers’ tackling greatly improved from last year. Those underneath passes that Trubisky (and Trubisky’s QB rating) feasted on last season only got them a few yards with no RAC, and eventually a sack or a holding penalty would disrupt things. Cohen averaged 6 yards on 8 receptions, Davis averaged 2.8 yards on 6 receptions.

*Not sure of the point of having Cohen split wide against nickel/dime defenses. Kind of stupid because its not creating a mismatch. Either have Cohen carry the ball against a pass defense, or have him split wide against base 4-3 to get matched up against a LB/SS.

*No adjustments. Kept doing the same thing over and over. Why not try Patterson at TE and see what happens in the passing game? Why not go jumbo and try to bulldoze GB with Davis/Montgomery? The one thing Nagy did was the short-yardage carry with Patterson…come on, man. That Jordan Howard trade is looking worse and worse.

*Final thought…the sequence after Trubisky’s “big play” misfire to Robinson in the 3rd quarter was Marty Mohrningweg level moronic. You start off with a manageable 3rd and 5, but then Nagy is late with the play for some reason and the delay of game puts you at 3rd and 10. You then have a seemingly designed pass play to Patterson short of the marker when all game long the Packers have given you no RAC, but Trubisky misfires anyways. So it’s a 7-3 game and points are at a premium, your offense has been bad and your QB in particular has been terrible, your defense has been playing lights out, your kicker is 1-1 in FGs…yet you bypass a 51-yard FG attempt thinking you’ll convert a 4th and 10? WTF? I wouldn’t even do that on Madden (although perhaps a sneaky fake punt with Tarik Cohen as the punter would be my play call). That was indefensible from Nagy.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I'm already anxious to see game 2 , if only for the development aspects.
This is a good team. But are they going to be great?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm ready for the fucking billboard.

Nagy out there making me wish we had Mike Tice as head coach so last night would have been less embarrassing.

He even made a comment about how we only had 15 rushing attempts. And it's like, 3 of those were Trubisky running for his fucking life, idiot. So that's 12 rushing attempts from your backs. 12 rushing attempts while your QB is struggling. 12 rushing attempts while Green Bay is either dropping 8 or 9 into coverage, or blitzing Trubisky because they KNOW 100% that Nagy isn't calling a running play.

Stellar fucking coaching. Jesus. I honestly think Nagy might be on the spectrum.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good take, but I want to comment on this:

*Whomever was touting the Bears OL needs to reassess. The no-name Packers defense kind of dominated them.

That no-name defense is a lot better than anyone thought. They also came in with an excellent game plan. Kudos to the Packers coaching staff.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Completely agree with everything outside of the assessment that Jordan Howard would’ve made any difference.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Have to agree with most of that I thought Mitches accuracy was fine this game with better willingness to throw it away and live another day but at the same time, he wasn't reading the field well at all and often picking tighter spots than needed. The Robinson pick was actually a VG throw but the choice sucked. AR got held up by running into the DB while tracking the throw or I suspect he'd have got the ball in front of Amos. Being an accurate throw doesn't mean it wasn't a bad decision and we saw why. That throw was no worse than when Rodgers caught Bush sleeping. Doesn't excuse it as neither ball should have been thrown like they were.

That said, our WRs were well covered in general. Mitch made some choices I didn't care for but he also often didn't have great choices. That's on Nagy who I thought called a really shitty game. That doesn't mean that Mitch didn't suck, he did. Good reads and leadership are what the position is about and he kinda failed at both yesterday. I think his actually throwing and general mechanics looked fine but that's it, the rest was a fail.

Gabriel if overrated, that sideline non catch reminded me of last year when he dove for a deep ball that he could have run through for a TD but he dove awkwardly for and hurt his ribs on the catch instead. Miller disappeared and Shaheen is confirming his oaf rep. The OL looked uncoordinated. Hard to blame the D for anything. they did give up a few big plays but that's more expected in the new scheme, the other side of that is plenty of drives were stopped cold.

This O has zero identity right now and we better establish something quickly or this will be a very long season.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Good take, but I want to comment on this:

That no-name defense is a lot better than anyone thought. They also came in with an excellent game plan. Kudos to the Packers coaching staff.

Let’s not kid ourselves here .... the packers defense did nothing special. The bears offense was shit.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
You make a ton of excellent posts, mostly spot on!

I think the defense showed us that they will win a lot of games for us, regardless if the offense is poor. 5 sacks allowed? At least three were stupid plays by Trubisky where he could have thrown the ball away and saved some yards.

The play calling was suspect a few times, 3 and 1 and they’re gimmicking plays. Better off getting to the line quickly and running the ball. If you’re going to go gimmicky, then why not try a deep shot but I’d rather they just get the first down.

Everyone questioned left eye on that challenge but what it was brilliant because it killed all momentum on that drive and we self imploded. No reason for jet to put his hands on that guy, he was in the wrong position. Then again, a better throw and it’s a td as both wr’s on that side were well behind the cb’s. It’s a game of inches and there were a few plays that were a couple of inches off and were the difference between big plays and instead went the other way turning into incompletions or penalties.

I’m a little worried about Trubisky targeting Robinson so much. We were much better when we distributed the ball all over the place. Where the hell was miller during that game?

I do think that Green Bay is very talented at the cb position which is very important in today’s nfl. Wish any Kamara was more physically gifted with speed, time to get younger st his position next year.

Special teams were still terrible. Their punter was definitely the difference maker. I don’t get how so many people get down to make tackles so quickly. If you’re not trying to block the kick, you better be much better at blocking! This seems to be a part of the game that doesn’t get as much talent and practice as it looks to be over looked. How does Cohen let so many kicks bounce in front of him? I’m not worried about him as he is very talented but he needs to play smarter than that.

I realize that running the ball doesn’t win games in the nfl as much as used to but you can’t abandon it like we did last night. I personally would play Tarik Cohen a lot more than Nagy does at running back. Our window is very small considering we don’t have a difference maker at QB.

Like you, I’m not that worried about us moving forward but losing a divisional game at home under the lights has plagued this franchise for years. I believe that the bears are a much more talented team than gb player per player outside of the most important position which should tell us a lot.

Mitch just isn’t going to be the guy. He just isn’t and I really am routing for him. I just don’t see it. Even when he hits the right receiver it’s rarely ever in the right spot. The receivers seem to always be jumping our slowing down to get the ball, they may be completions but he’s leaving yards and td’s on the field in a game of inches. He played ok last year on scripted drives but not last night which makes me believe opening up the playbook might be a detriment to this team. Last night he looked slow in his runs as if he was still looking downfield to throw or something. Last year he would run with purpose as soon as he chose to run but not last night. I’ll blame some of his bad play on the play calling but if you throw the ball 45 times for 230 yards, it’s a bad sign.

How can run the ball 15 times in a one score game? Fox would have probably won that game! None of the running backs looked very good in this game. How does Davis start in a game? He wasn’t bad but he should never play more than one series in a game. They couldn’t be tired.

Shaheen needs to be let go. He is abysmal with zero physical talent what so ever. He made one catch early on and then puts his hand up to come out? Wtf! Then he drops an easy catch on the most important drive of the game in the red zone then complains to the ref as if it were a catch but just lets the ball lay on the field???? The guy just doesn’t have the heart to be playing for this team.

It’s sad that burton means this much to this offense and you’ll see it when he comes back but he scares me to with all this injury crap staring from last year. Some guys just aren’t that into playing this game. I want guys that want to play and win. I’m sure most guys on this site would have to be dragged off the field bc we live the bears that much. It’s sad thatpros getting paid huge sums of money don’t see it the same way.

I’m worried bc it’s tough to find a silver lining when you score three points in your second year. Let’s hope that it’s because they haven’t seen live game time since last year. I would play the offense in ore season, especially when they haven’t proven themselves as studs. The defense doesn’t need nearly as much prep but they were still a bit rusty too.

Let’s hope it’s just rust! I really do think had they played ore season snaps, they would have won this game. We need to improve on all fronts of the game to make the playoffs but early on it looks as if most people were right about the regression of this team.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Time will tell. As a former receiver watching the WR/DB action downfield however, let me tell you that Jaire Alexander is legit. Like future all-pro legit.

Yeah sure but the packers front 7 made life hard for the bears. That is not an impressive group. The lions and Vikings both have better fronts than the packers.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t think he was. Even if he was I don’t think the bears were a ‘Jordan Howard pass block’ away from scoring more than 3 points.

Howard would’ve gotten tackled 2 yards behind the LOS just like Patterson did on that run play.

Actually, the game could have very well been that, as it was a one score game. Who knows? I thought DM was pretty good, all things considered, but I did not pay any attention to his pass blocking, as I don't pretend to know what his assignment was on any given play.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm already anxious to see game 2 , if only for the development aspects.
This is a good team. But are they going to be great?
I'm not that excited. We play in Denver against the only Defensive coach who knows this offense better than Nagy. It could very well be a complete blood bath and the Bears Interior OL is going to get completely destroyed.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Trubisky never looks Miller’s way for some reason. It’s so strange.

I’m also starting to think that U TE is what runs this offense. Missing Burton hurts.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Time will tell. As a former receiver watching the WR/DB action downfield however, let me tell you that Jaire Alexander is legit. Like future all-pro legit.
This, their coverage was surprisingly good. What bothered me is how we couldn't answer what they were doing. Mitch got tunnel vision and missed some reads but they weren't big windows or open that long. That Nagy couldn't adjust to what they were doing bothered me more than Mitch's play and Mitch's play definitely bothered me.