Thread of List...........Guitarist

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Kerry Livgren -- is of course the lead guitarist and main music writer for Kansas. Having penned and played acoustic guitar for Dust in the Wind, penned/lead guitar for Carry On My Wayward Son, Death of Mother Nature, Hold On, etc., and solo project Seeds of Change which featured fantastic guitar/solo on Live for the King (with lead vocal by Ronnie James Dio), Ground Zero and Whiskey Seed.

Here's classic Kerry Livgren guitar solo work on his instrumental Colonnade Gardens:

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No love for John Petrucci?

A buddy of mine..far and away the best guitarist I have personally known...idolized petrucci.

Love the guys playing, but there were 2 giant obstacles to his rise to all time great.
He came along at a time when shredders were a dime a dozen, and he was with a group that was borderline christian... not a great draw for the metalheads.

Dream theater was undoubtedly wildly talented.. just not my speed.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A buddy of mine..far and away the best guitarist I have personally known...idolized petrucci.

Love the guys playing, but there were 2 giant obstacles to his rise to all time great.
He came along at a time when shredders were a dime a dozen, and he was with a group that was borderline christian... not a great draw for the metalheads.

I first got into Dream Theater from the metal angle. But I've been less and less of a metalhead and more and more of a prog can since my 1st DT show, 5-13-98. My 10th DT show was 5-13-08. Friend's birthday (also friend of DT, she's thanked in liner notes for Awake), guest list and aftershow pass courtesy of Jordan Rudess.
If you can find it check out "An Evening With John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess". It's a live set, mostly acoustic and piano but there's some electric and synth in there too

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

It also doesn't help that their frontman sounds like REO Speedwagon...which is definitely not my speed. :p
Not bad, but also not my speed. Good thing that I can't see them walking into a talent agent's. :p

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It also doesn't help that their frontman sounds like REO Speedwagon...which is definitely not my speed. :p

Not bad, but also not my speed. Good thing that I can't see them walking into a talent agent's. :p
Not everyone can hang with the pig and chicken jam.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I honestly prefer Guthrie’s improv over most of his songs. But he is an encyclopedia of knowledge and there is nothing he can’t play.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I only know his stuff from The Aristocrats and the two Steven Wilson albums he played on.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not everyone can hang with the pig and chicken jam.
I don't know if you've ever heard anyone do a good telling of the joke (or rather, anti-joke) called "The Aristocrats", but "hanging with the pig and chicken jam" takes on a whole new meaning within that context. :LOL::ROFLMAO:.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
^ oh, DT show count is now 18

I have seen them a few (3?) times and they always sounded rock solid- well worth the money.

I was the same way with pantera when I was younger.. saw them tons of times. Probably as much as you have seen DT.
Never once was the show good. kept hoping, but was always dissapointed (however, little teenage airtime is imortalized with a slow motion, full on shot in one of their videos they filmed in chicago.)

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have seen them a few (3?) times and they always sounded rock solid- well worth the money.

I was the same way with pantera when I was younger.. saw them tons of times. Probably as much as you have seen DT.
Never once was the show good. kept hoping, but was always dissapointed (however, little teenage airtime is imortalized with a slow motion, full on shot in one of their videos they filmed in chicago.)
I saw Pantera half a dozen times or so. My buddy got kicked in the head and knocked out by a crowd surfer at the Aragon.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jagori Tanna

I Mother Earth was just so fucking good.
Never got to see them live.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Steve Hackett....used to play with Genesis in the 70s.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If this is for R&R guitar, you cannot go without mentioning Link Wray, father of the power chord with vibrato, feedback, and distortion, in 1958. All attitude.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Mark Knopfler at #91 is a travesty. He's top 5 for me.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Not in any particular order.

It looks like people are not getting that part, you should just erase the numbers to avoid confusion.