Top 10 Lines I gotta See Pre-season

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Before anything is settled, I'd like to watch a few line sprints. These are my chemistry from the ether pairings I gotta see to believe, or unbelieve.

10) Saarela-Toews-Kane You can put just about any monkey in this slot....but the right monkey? Well..that might be just about having the right tool to maximize glory.

9) Cat-Strome-Dach Well...the risk in taking a look here is it might actually work, and work...well.

8) Saad-Kampf-Shaw The liklihood of these guys ending up getting a look on #3 is high.

7) Cat-Strome-Kane Cat played opposite Kane at the worlds, and so its a question likely to be asked internally at some point. Might as well look at it in pre-season.

6) Jewels-Toews-Shaw I wonder.

5) Saad-Dach-Smith The best wingers early in Dach's career, imo. A couple of veterans with versatile games, together they can get work done and allow him to flow to roles that suit his strengths.

4) Kubalik-Toews-Dach Toews has played well with an enforcer before. If this line had special chemistry it would open up many lethal possibilities in the bottom 9. For that reason I would be curious what it looked like.

3) Jewels-Dach-Nylander IDK

2) Dach-Kampf-Shaw

1) Kubalik-Toews-Kane This is another howitzer to drop into the spaces and wait. Saarela can probably do the job, but its Kubalik who might astonish. If he can continue to beat goalies like he did in Switzerland, the Bread Man wound might heal. 24 years old, he is ready for the spotlight.

My gut for first 9
Kubalik-Toews-Kane

Cat-Strome-Perlini

Jewels-Smith-Dach

Saad-Kampf-Shaw

13. Carp

or

Jewels-Toews-Kane

Cat-Strome-Dach

Kubalik-Kampf-Shaw

Saad-Smith-Saarela/Nylander

13. Carp

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
One that I would like to see @Raskolnikov is Nylander Toews Kaner

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Still got it for Perlini. I dont know when this RFA impasse is going to..............well, pass. Got some big names that might be getting 10 million holding up the guys who will make less than 2. I dont see why other teams are not making offers to restricted guys.

It will be interesting to see how JC runs his preseason. We have gotten used to Kane and Toews dressing for opposite games, not together, so I doubt we see any of these lines til really late.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have relatives in NY and Buffalo and I have very little expectations from Nylander. I hope he surprises, but...meh.

Specifics. What are people complaining about? The guy deserves a second chance location and we are so negative. How did his attitude get so fucked up? Is this truly the second coming of Prince Caspian?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So...

besides attitude, skills, strength, and speed though Nylander is good right?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Line-watch...

well since we begin in Traverse city...

of course I'd like to see some Dach on the wing just to project Hawks fit, the way that could work on that team is

Hagel-Kurashev-Dach

but any Entwhistle-Dach formations could also signal a potential future fit with the big club in Dach's early years.

Enwhistle-Dach-Smith for instance could form a big heavy energy line that serves some purposes, and allows for smith carrying face-off loads and effeciency.

Hagel-Kurashev-Dach would be the most promising line in Traverse city, imo...but I expect more like

Line 1- Knott-Kurashev-Hagel

Entwhistle-Dach- Purboo or something. Nice heavy line, might look defensive but I have a feeling if you put Bovquist and/or Beudin behind that trio you will cause problems for opposition.

The other teams don't have Bovqist, Dach, Kurashev, Beudin level talent in that quantity, so I will be disappointed if they don't bring home the trophy.

This should show what happens if you fortify Chicago skill players with some beef block. Should be a nice successful mix and shows new direction of club has potential.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
McGlaughlin is the most recent arrival to Hawks system that is worth looking at. Him and Teply are kinda off the radar guys with actual potential.

Teply 6'3" scoring winger from Chech who has skill and could grow into frame in 2-3 years. Seems serious about adapting to North American game quickly I would say is a good sign, hopefully he doesn't get discouraged and can see the path isn't really that long if he just keeps working a couple years he will be ahead of the game.

Teply, Hagel, McGlaughlin, Kurashev, Dach, Knott, Entwhistle should carry this team offensively with a strong defense of Krys, Gilbert, Beudin, Bovqist.

Its that defensive 4 plus solid goaltending that makes me believe its trophy or bust, even if the offense takes a moment to find their footing. They don't have a Cat who carried this thing and won it, but they do have a 100pt OHL player in Hagel, and the indomitable forces of Dach/Entwhistle...

and honestly, I count Kurashev as the 4th 1st round talent they are sending. Its a joke the Hawks got him, similar I think with Teply in a couple years, we will be wondering how we had the opportunity to draft them where they did. I'm high on Dach/Bovqist, Beudin all reaching their ceilings right now...so anybody else emerges it starts to create squad depth I can't really remember since Saad developing faster than expected.

Kampf, Carpenter, Maata, Gus level guys just might not have the ability to hold some of these guys off. Kurashev/Dach/Beudin/Bovqist/Kubalik are knocking on the door right efffing now. They are here and they are way better than a betteran.

But those guys you expect, its the Hagel, Saarela, Nylander, Q2, Entwhistle guys where...ok...now where do we put them? Thats 10 guys not counting Dahlstrom/KK/Sikura who can probably contribute to an NHL roster which is why I say Rockford is going to just smash people even without ever seeing Dach.

I can't imagine this over stocking trend will last once they realize the game is already up. It seems that no longer will base salary placeholders be able to hold their place.

I am sure with Nylander, they think their quacky fitness guru might help him. That could be true. Nylander has hockey family skill and knows what to do...he just has this bad low energy about him. They overpaid because he does seem like that guy you just hope the light goes on, but never does. I hope they have the right roommate for him.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The question I ask is did Toews ever have to play wing? If they want the path to center solidified, I expect Dach to play center only, go to the OHL or wherever and play center, then be ready for next year.

Its probably the better option since center spots are full this year and we have to doubt they will eat any of these deals.

Still dont know who else is coming to camp, like Versteeg, if he has been invited or other PTO's that will take time away from the kids.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The question I ask is did Toews ever have to play wing? If they want the path to center solidified, I expect Dach to play center only, go to the OHL or wherever and play center, then be ready for next year.

Its probably the better option since center spots are full this year and we have to doubt they will eat any of these deals.

Still dont know who else is coming to camp, like Versteeg, if he has been invited or other PTO's that will take time away from the kids.

I don't see how Dach in particular progresses playing with the Blades? I think he feels done there, he is too big and strong and fast for that league...they don't want to play against him from the footage I have seen. He is a terror to the entire league and should be with men.

He can't go to Rockford, so I say the best place to develop is next to Toews or maybe do some dirty work for Cat and Strome would really excite me...I just don't want to hold back Cat but that might not be the case.

If Perlini doesn't re-sign I would love to glance at Dach next to Cat-Strome.

As for the center part of the equation, Dach makes that difficult because at 18 he can't win a face-off against an NHL center to save his life.

But Kucherov can, and is ready now and might be superior to Kampf or Carpenter even before 2019 season gets going.

I hope Kucherov, Dach, Bovqist, and Kubalik all make the roster for first 9 games because it would mean the competitions aren't close.

That might be the thing to consider with Dach...is that they can look at him at both center of the third line, as a top 6 wing, and as a bottom 6 energy wing all in the span of the first 9 games and see if he finds a roll that works for him now.

I hope they elect to take that look and I hope his play forces them to keep him. Other than aging a year and practicing face-offs with children I don't see the value in holding him back, when he has physical attributes and abilities that can contribute right away and give him better experience addressing his weaknesses rubbing elbows with Toews, Smith, Kane, etc.

Once you see the physical presence and help he brings even as a limited player you won't want to send him away. Just give him Smith on his wing, or hide him on the bottom 6 if he isn't some magical ingredient for Cat/Strome.

I guarantee you day 1 Dach will carry the puck out of our zone, and into their zone better than half our veterans. Combine that with his forechecking, back-checking, size/speed ratio...he is so strong on the puck...is what to me makes him unlike most rookies. The best case for the opposition is to piss him off by engaging him and start a 200 ft tussle most won't want part of.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Sounds like he will play offensive center, but there will have to be a stronger faceoff veteran on his line like smith to handle the bulk of the draws. I just dont see how that get him to the point of being a top 6 center in this league unless he learns how to win draws.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Specifics. What are people complaining about? The guy deserves a second chance location and we are so negative. How did his attitude get so fucked up? Is this truly the second coming of Prince Caspian?

I believe you mean Kyle Beach

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am d
I believe you mean Kyle Beach
Baun gave us just as little.

I am not writing Nylander off at all. Surely he and Saarella will lead Rockford in goals scored if Kubalik is able to hold first shot early.

With a dominate AHL line in the cards, or what looks to be 4 scoring line opportunity in Chicago when desired, I expect Nylander/Saarella/Kubalik all to get a chance at some point this year. The more that do well the better.

Sikura/Entwhistle/Hogan/Kurashev round out most of that list of guys who are going to get some ice and fight for spots all season long.

Once they come this far I wouldn't put him ahead of anyone in that 7, or behind. They are all trying to find themselves in the league and working on their weaknesses. When the right skill clicks or the right line fit snaps into ideal place...is a fluid question always changing in parameters.

The key is the Hawks finally have some quality depth and variety to ask questions of. Team should have less weaknesses this year as it looks to me they just keep putting different tools in the toolbox...and Nylander is one.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Laziness, lack of motivation, not much heart and doesn't seem to want to get involved. I hope he proves them all wrong because I believe Joker will have a good career.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Laziness, lack of motivation, not much heart and doesn't seem to want to get involved. I hope he proves them all wrong because I believe Joker will have a good career.

sounds fixable, unless he is just not strong either emotionally or physically. Can't win them all, but you gotta believe they have a plan for him and I'll wait to see it.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tempered expectations. Nylander has done absolutely nothing yet and guys like Strome are the exception, not the rule.

Much like Sikura (a guy who promised the stars and delivered the sewers last season), I'm 100% confident he'll get every chance to succeed. If he (or they) do, awesome. If not I am worried that they will be used out of their depth past their use-by date like Sikura was last year--especially if they have negative chemistry with their linemates.

Given that Stan's job is on the line (and if it isn't it should be), I'd expect Runbladian love affairs to be cut short especially if it's the difference between winning and losing.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well Sikura is also one of the most limited athletes I've seen in the NHL, Jewels shelf life can't be long for this NHL world either as he isn't as thick as Shaw or Debrincat. But psychotic intensity does help guys get through pain for a while.

I have no idea where Sikura fits, I don't see how he helps anything except the team to lean too hard toward pussdom. His vision and defensive angles are cool...but he isn't even Hinostroza on offense and hasn't shown that grit or tenacity a little guy needs. He is a tiny tiny cerebral player. Show me some kamikaze (racist as fuck but I'm serious...you gotta show me it, I played Rugby with over 10 different asians in southern ca...I know I how tough they can be and strength/weight ratio is ideal) mentality, but Sikura is going to have to fly into hard areas and fuck shit up like Jewels and Shaw or he can go win championships in Rockford probably. Have a short painful career, or have no career...I view that as his choice. Take the pain killers and just turn into a nasty hateful rat...trust in his cerebral understanding of game and skills will be fine...what he needs is the will to die to win today, or sacrifice his health. Nothing short of that will overcome the length of his legs, or the size of his hands.

I'm not saying he is a bad athlete...hands and coordination. I'm saying he is a "limited" athlete. He can't get stronger, faster, longer...there is no frame there.

Transplant Sikura's mind into Nylander and he would be worthy of draft selection. Don't like to see a legacy player in Nylander that doesn't have the mentality or work ethic. Has the skill, the frame, the hands...but we need to see some anger and dedication to his body and conditioning.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well Sikura is also one of the most limited athletes I've seen in the NHL, Jewels shelf life can't be long for this NHL world either as he isn't as thick as Shaw or Debrincat. But psychotic intensity does help guys get through pain for a while.

I have no idea where Sikura fits, I don't see how he helps anything except the team to lean too hard toward pussdom. His vision and defensive angles are cool...but he isn't even Hinostroza on offense and hasn't shown that grit or tenacity a little guy needs. He is a tiny tiny cerebral player. Show me some kamikaze (racist as fuck but I'm serious...you gotta show me it, I played Rugby with over 10 different asians in southern ca...I know I how tough they can be and strength/weight ratio is ideal) mentality, but Sikura is going to have to fly into hard areas and fuck shit up like Jewels and Shaw or he can go win championships in Rockford probably. Have a short painful career, or have no career...I view that as his choice. Take the pain killers and just turn into a nasty hateful rat...trust in his cerebral understanding of game and skills will be fine...what he needs is the will to die to win today, or sacrifice his health. Nothing short of that will overcome the length of his legs, or the size of his hands.

I'm not saying he is a bad athlete...hands and coordination. I'm saying he is a "limited" athlete. He can't get stronger, faster, longer...there is no frame there.

Transplant Sikura's mind into Nylander and he would be worthy of draft selection. Don't like to see a legacy player in Nylander that doesn't have the mentality or work ethic. Has the skill, the frame, the hands...but we need to see some anger and dedication to his body and conditioning.
Some guys just never put it together though. Think Morin. Think Skille. Think Stalberg. Hell, even Runblad. Sikura/Nylander could be them (hopefully in Nylander's case not another Beach). Those issues are not necessarily "fixable" unless the player wants to fix it. I think it's less of where those guys fit and mare about what they actually bring to the table vs. Stan/JC balancing "their guys" vs icing the best squad--and so far neither of those guys have proven anything. Preseason? Fine--let them earn a slot. I just worry one will be gifted to them--especially since Stan might want to give him every opportunity to succeed to make the Joker trade look good.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Some guys just never put it together though. Think Morin. Think Skille. Think Stalberg. Hell, even Runblad. Sikura/Nylander could be them (hopefully in Nylander's case not another Beach). Those issues are not necessarily "fixable" unless the player wants to fix it. I think it's less of where those guys fit and mare about what they actually bring to the table vs. Stan/JC balancing "their guys" vs icing the best squad--and so far neither of those guys have proven anything. Preseason? Fine--let them earn a slot. I just worry one will be gifted to them--especially since Stan might want to give him every opportunity to succeed to make the Joker trade look good.

Yeah but can we worry about it after the "villainous" Stan forces either onto the roster after a lackluster pre-season occurs?

Neither has happened yet. I am doubtful the plan for either could possibly be the big club, given the numbers, but at most one of them would earn a shot and honestly they are near the front of the line in terms of time served so it wouldn't be unwarranted.

ASSUMING THEY EVEN KEEP 13!! 8 Defenders would be just as good of a bet.
LOCKS
1. Kane
2. Cat
3. Toews
4. Strome
5. Shaw
6. Saad
7. Smith
8. Jewels

PROBABLY keep their spot
9. Perlini
10. Kampf
11. Carp

2 to Fight over
12. Kubalik/Saarella/Sikura/Nylander/Hogan (one guy for possible scoring role)
13. Dach/Kucherov/Entwhistle/Hackerainen (one grunt for some work, could go to Dach for 9 games and see, or send him to Canada to grow up and bring him back for the last 9, or could go to a second scoring threat)

The balance is good. The depth is good. We probably still suck but I can feel a plan and a purpose to the organization.

Our biggest issues for me to start the season is

1. How good is Kubalik? Can he slot top 9 right away?
2. Who is the best guy to center the 3rd line?
3. What do we do with Dach?
4. I'm less worried about the defensive pairing plan, because I think they have an idea to send Bovquist, Beudin, Gilbert, Krys, Dahlstrom to Rockford.

Now De Haan is injured, so he may pave the path to roll with both Gus and Bovquist in the top 6 for a minute and buy time to showcase and trade Gus.

So without getting too complicated hopefully KK can stay in the 7, Seabrook and Maata have some pressure and a timeline to prove they aren't too slow for the league. This is good for our team value. Let those two sink or swim and hopefully not together.

Maata-Murphy
Seabrook-Bovquist?

Then Beudin and De Haan can be worked into the mix later.

I can't complain...the Hawks addressed the Defense the best they could and they started 3 years ago in 2016. They had a face-off % issue cutting into their possession I complained about for 2 years, and that was addressed cheaply. They got bigger and started that a couple years ago. Good mix of size, steel, and skill after getting too soft for 18 months. The future looks better in that area.

They got the best back-up goalie in the league, a top 5 tandem after playing a beer league player at one point, and depth extending into the near future if they keep one of them going forward.

The salary cap issue has become more about having too many bulky items in our grocery bag, then the torn bag and food splattered all over the floor problem from 2-5 years ago.

So I am encouraged and want to see what Colloton can do with a full deck of options. Defense has to get their shit together but the calvary has arrived and its their jobs as well if they don't. So thats it.

I could see a slow start and one of the goalies going down making a playoff birth ever interesting in this fucking division, but a little luck and I am more curious to what kind of momentum and chemistry they can muster by seasons end, and if Stan pulls a trade to save his job with all this ammo...hahahaha..

that would be my biggest fear. After finally accumulating ammo they keep the green light on Stan and he just goes crazy trying to tread water and save himself.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I still do not understand the plan or purpose of stan.

I understand not drafting the D man since there was no spot for him and he has to play now.

You would have thunk they would have moved a d man or 2 before loading the roster again.

It feels like the plan is hoping a betteran gets hurt and helps make room for Bovquist as it is.

I just got a bad feeling that Maata or deHaan is gonna be that perennial d man signing that does not fit the system. Leaning toward deHaan since Maata will block shots.