Top 10 Lines I gotta See Pre-season

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still do not understand the plan or purpose of stan.

I understand not drafting the D man since there was no spot for him and he has to play now.

You would have thunk they would have moved a d man or 2 before loading the roster again.

It feels like the plan is hoping a betteran gets hurt and helps make room for Bovquist as it is.

I just got a bad feeling that Maata or deHaan is gonna be that perennial d man signing that does not fit the system. Leaning toward deHaan since Maata will block shots.

I believe De Haan is pre-injured...

which would be hilarious if so...in terms of cap relief acquisitions. But also, I think that creates the necessary wiggle room to try Bovquist up if you want, and then look at Maata before you trade Gus.

Maata and Seabrook...now we have two super slow guys. Thats why I fear Maata is the fear you speak of...we see what speed does to the value of Keith and Seabrook...so to double down on that and bring in Maata is questionable.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ok...here is a good one. Yes...Kubalik could start at 1LW or 2RW, but to start the season I see him paired with his countrymen Kampf as he gets comfortable so information and situations can be explained to him as fast as possible.

(Saad/Jewels/Shaw)-Toews-Kane
Cat-Strome-Perlini
Kubalik-Kampf-(Shaw/Saad/Jewels) flip Kubalik's side if you like depending on mate.
(Saad/Jewels/Shaw)-Dach-Smith

13. Carp

Obviously, you slide Carp into Dach's role, and if its a 9 look thing maybe you move Dach around every couple nights,and try Kubalik around too, but this line-up has alot to love.

If you made me guess, I would say first 9-

Shaw-Toews-Kane
Cat-Strome-Perlini
Saad-Kampf-Kubalik
Jewels-Dach-Smith

(I'm actually more worried about Saad-Kampf-Kubalik than that 4th line, but what do you think? I think they could more than hack it, while that 4th line has potential to drive opponents crazy)
13. Carp

I actually think our line-up is nasty. Kubalik/Dach are raw and Perlini/Kampf are the weakest links. Hard to compare to past teams that had Shaw/Hossa/Smaltz/Hartman and I forget the other center 1st rounder they traded, to Montreal? D...

Kampf and Perlini probably struggle to make the championship teams, or the 2016 team with Ladd/Hossa. Everyone else I feel like could hack it in a role.

Carp/Maata/De Haan should for sure help the penalty kill, our biggest weakness.

1. PK- addressed
2. Centers/faceoffs- addressed
3. team speed- still lacking
4. defense- addressed (Bovqist, Beudin, Gilbert, Krys, Maata, De Haan, and the newest guy?)
5. shooters- addressed (Kubalik, Q2, Saarella, Nylander)

Dach, Kucherov, Barrett, Mitchell are all going to be here in 12 months too and will all upgrade someone.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jewels-Toews-Kane
Cat-Strome-Perlini
Kubalik-Kampf-Shaw
Saad-Dach-Smith

is also particularly balanced. Don't like to see Saad on the 4th there, but in terms of a couple veterans to carry Dach, while giving Kubalik-Kampf a net front agitator in Shaw...

I could see this working out nice. Saad/Jewels/Shaw are almost interchangable and my feeling is you can stick them about anywhere, but the players around them will act a bit differently playing with each flavor. Gotta try some guys out together, but this right here is the status quo, chemistry line. Pound for pound (2's vs 2's, 3's vs 3's, etc) the 2nd line might even be the weakest.

Last edited:

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
So how many of these lines did you get to see

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So how many of these lines did you get to see

Well...none. But we learned things anyway.

I just hope they are only building Nylanders confidence and looking at him where they plan to have a need down the road. Kubalik is probably the best piece for Cat-Strome, or Toews-Kane, but that Saad-Kampf-Kubalik line is really fast and versatile.

Saad-Kampf-Kubalik are a thing, and their job is to crush third lines and be able to defend top lines and counter attack.
Jewels-Carp-Smith are a thing. I don't think Dach makes it, even for the 9, I think he comes back for 9 at the end, no playoffs. Hawks keep the year and let him emotionally mature a bit. If Dach is the 13 though they can insert him anywhere. So that still makes some sense, and Dahlstrom would probably shed less tears than even Holms.

But for Bovquist and Dach to both make it, now you are talking about losing Koekkoek to waivers or trading Gus.

Wedin is being taken seriously, and probably is the piece that goes down to rockford that would be first up to replace anybody on that line.

Hoping Holms clears waivers, he looked good and probably they need a more defensive guy on the roster so he goes down to get familiar again with the short fast ice.

It just means that either Bovquist made the team, or they want to explore Dahlstrom/Murphy some more, or they keep Koekkoek and 13 forwards. 8 D seems likely to me even without Bovquist.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Todays new practice lines

Here's how it looks:

Nylander-Toews-Caggiula
DeBrincat-Strome-Kane
Saad-Kampf-Kubalik
Smith-Carpenter-Shaw
Perlini-Wedin-Saarela

The only thing I see wrong with it is the second line not being on top,

Cant wait til Kubalik gets to that Toews line with shaw or jewels

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think Nylander has a role if its not top 6, and he lacks the stamina for top line. I don't see it yet, but he has shown some good things and gotten better throughout process which is great to see.

My first 9 treatment....has a couple fetishes before we decide on Dach's season.

This kid is going to be so hungry by the time they unleash him...hahahahaha...funny shit could be by design.

Autistic Optimizer
Kubalik-Toews-Kane (he is the finisher that can best feed off Kane and is defensively compliment to Toews)
Cat-Strome-Dach (this kid is the kind of muscle/speed passing combination to help our skinny little emo millenial friends)
Saad-Kampf-Shaw
Jewels-Carp-Smith

Thats just me...thats what I see as our optimized balance of strengths, speed, fit guys. However...another one that makes tons of sense

Shaw-Toews-Kane
Cat-Strome-Perlini
Saad-Dach-Kubalik
Jewels-Carp-Smith

whenever I do this I'm just not sure if Perlini will even make the team. I really doubt he survives mid-season trading spree, because he only fits on the 4th with Carp-Smith but there are better options, and with Cat-Strome for whatever reason. I guess his path to the Hawks is keep making that produce and pray Kubalik ends season on top line.

I realize I ramble forever and nobody reads this shit, but the advanced statistics that came out on the Cat-Strome-Shaw pairing were fucking horrendous, like he makes those guys a negative. They need a board bruiser and they kick ass. Smith or DAch or Perlini or Kane are the best options for me, as Kane flips the ice with firebolts from his arse and lasers from his eyes. Kubalik is big enough but more of an elongated body type...he patrols the middle with a long stick and leads team in takeaways this pre-season, but I wouldn't call him a board bruiser.