Trevon Diggs at 43

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No one expects Pace to go 100% in the draft.

We expect that he won’t consistently miss on offense players, leading to a bad offense, leading to no sustained success and wasting a really good defense.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
20181211-RVS-Hotels-19-Camera-Point-002-LAYERS-beard-crop.png

:snoop"

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

We expect that he won’t consistently miss on offense players, leading to a bad offense, leading to no sustained success and wasting a really good defense.

By consistently miss you mean Trubisky and Shaheen??

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:

I think you’re drastically underrating the strength of the roster from where it was when he took over.

IMO, his drafting mistakes in the low rounds were Floyd, Shaheen, and then the big one-Mitch. That is the pick that may cost him his job, not because of his the success of his draft picks as a whole, but because he missed on the most important position on the team.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
By consistently miss you mean Trubisky and Shaheen??

If we're talking first couple of rounds on offense you missed White and Grasu.

We go around in circles because you consistently lower the bar of what a good GM looks like.

We're coming up to his sixth draft in a couple of weeks. At this point we know what he is....

+ He is good in mid to late rounds
+ He has improved the infrastructure at Halas Hall and tried to drag the organization into the 21st century
+ He has had some hits in free agency
+ He pulled off the Mack trade

- He cannot draft for shit in the first round, with one starter on the team (Roquan), one fighting for his career and two busts
- His QB resume at this point is Glennon, Trubisky (Mitch was a critical misevaluation)
- He cannot evaluate the TE position
- He consistently overpays in FA and trades

? Too soon to say on Nagy

Unfortunately the first two minuses are absolutely crippling and undermine the pluses.

I can totally get on board the Foles train for a year and keep everything crossed. If the offense upgrades to mediocre and the defense is top 5, who knows. But if we have another down year, you have to question where we are going with Pace.

Could you really give him another first round pick if we go 8-8 and we need a QB?

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I think you’re drastically underrating the strength of the roster from where it was when he took over.

IMO, his drafting mistakes in the low rounds were Floyd, Shaheen, and then the big one-Mitch. That is the pick that may cost him his job, not because of his the success of his draft picks as a whole, but because he missed on the most important position on the team.

I think his overall record is probably slightly above average in the draft as a whole.

Unfortunately he is really poor in the first round and made a generationally bad decision with Trubisky.

If only it were skewed the other way but you just cant survive if you cant evaluate QBs or first round talent. Sooner of later it (the missing generation of players) catches up with you.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I think his overall record is probably slightly above average in the draft as a whole.

Unfortunately he is really poor in the first round and made a generationally bad decision with Trubisky.

If only it were skewed the other way but you just cant survive if you cant evaluate QBs or first round talent. Sooner of later it (the missing generation of players) catches up with you.

Agreed man. I just think people are going a little overboard on Pace and the draft. He has built a talented roster. A roster with holes like almost any other team.
White was not a bad pick-just freakin unlucky what happened. Shaheen was a bad pick. And as you said, his most important pick-that’s the one he missed on and that’s what will define the Pace era (unless by a miracle Mitch pulls it together). It won’t be Pace’s overall drafting history.