Trey Burton mild groin strain (unrelated to surgery)

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
No other TE on the team is the threat that Burton is in the throwing game.

I think the problem most of us have with this is that it appears that there was no contingency plan in case this happened.

At the very least, Patterson, Nall or Wims could have taken reps at TE in the preseason to see if the option was at least there.

The TE has been an issue with Nagy, when Kelce was hurt, the chiefs had no one that could step up and even be average. It appears to be the same situation here without Burton.

With Shaheen, Braunecker and Sowell I will be surprised if we get any decent production from the position until Burton is able to return.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Some notes from NBC Sports Chicago on the Burton situation:

“The Bears insist Trey Burton’s groin injury is mild and unrelated to the sports hernia surgery he underwent this spring. The tight end practiced Monday in a limited fashion, which for now seems like a good sign as the team operates with a day-by-day approach to Burton’s status for Thursday’s season opener against the Green Bay Packers.”

“The good news — if there really is any with this latest setback — is the Bears will be better prepared to handle Burton being sidelined. Coach Matt Nagy said the team is scheming for both Burton playing and not playing Thursday, and from a personnel standpoint, this is a deeper group of offensive players than the Bears had at their disposal eight months ago.”

“The Bears aren’t creating those contingency plans with a narrow focus on Ben Braunecker replacing Burton in the lineup. There’s much more that would go into it, as Helfrich alluded to, from a personnel standpoint. Instead of Jordan Howard, Benny Cunningham, Taquan Mizzell, Josh Bellamy and Kevin White, the Bears have David Montgomery, Mike Davis, Kerrith Whyte, Cordarrelle Patterson and Riley Ridley. Each of those five players represents a talent upgrade over the guy they replaced.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/b...jury-questionable-cant-play-against-green-bay

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Some notes from NBC Sports Chicago on the Burton situation:

“The Bears insist Trey Burton’s groin injury is mild and unrelated to the sports hernia surgery he underwent this spring. The tight end practiced Monday in a limited fashion, which for now seems like a good sign as the team operates with a day-by-day approach to Burton’s status for Thursday’s season opener against the Green Bay Packers.”

“The good news — if there really is any with this latest setback — is the Bears will be better prepared to handle Burton being sidelined. Coach Matt Nagy said the team is scheming for both Burton playing and not playing Thursday, and from a personnel standpoint, this is a deeper group of offensive players than the Bears had at their disposal eight months ago.”

“The Bears aren’t creating those contingency plans with a narrow focus on Ben Braunecker replacing Burton in the lineup. There’s much more that would go into it, as Helfrich alluded to, from a personnel standpoint. Instead of Jordan Howard, Benny Cunningham, Taquan Mizzell, Josh Bellamy and Kevin White, the Bears have David Montgomery, Mike Davis, Kerrith Whyte, Cordarrelle Patterson and Riley Ridley. Each of those five players represents a talent upgrade over the guy they replaced.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/b...jury-questionable-cant-play-against-green-bay
Of the players that they say are upgrades over those that they replaced, none of them are TEs.
Montgomery, Davis and Whyte are RBs and will have their own role to play when on the field. Patterson and Ridley both are in the best position to fill in the TE role but neither one has taken any reps at the TE position.

While I like the fact that these players (appear to be) upgrades, they are not a substitute for a TE.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Patterson has been known to line up and play the Burton role. He’s not going to block for you but he will give you the same match up

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Of the players that they say are upgrades over those that they replaced, none of them are TEs.
Montgomery, Davis and Whyte are RBs and will have their own role to play when on the field. Patterson and Ridley both are in the best position to fill in the TE role but neither one has taken any reps at the TE position.

While I like the fact that these players (appear to be) upgrades, they are not a substitute for a TE.
It's not about having another TE to play Burton's role. It's about having other weapons Nagy can use to overcome not having a Burton-type TE.

We were caught without anything in the playoff game last year. That's not the case bow, as Nagy says they are preparing 2 game plans: one with and one without Burton. We will be ok. Not ideal, but ok...

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I know what you're trying to say, but ultimately I don't think he's going to make or break our offense in general, or really affect the Packers game this Thursday. He's a bit soft when blocking, misses big games (for whatever reason) and does have a slight tendency to drop the ball. In other words, it's all about Mitch, IMO.
Dude he’s missed one game. That’s it.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
At least when that oaf shaheen falls down when the wind picks up he doesn’t injure anyone and just injures himself. When Simms fell down he injured strong man Kyle long. If you factor this in to the game plan we are already in a better spot at te than last year!

We should have enough at wr and rb to pick up the production.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I said Mitch gets no excuses this year and I’m sticking to it. Mitch better find a way to not only win this game but also looking good doing it.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Trey Burton
6-2, 238lb
Cordarrelle Patterson
6-2, 238lb

Patterson while not a TE, took quite a few snaps there last season in NE and Burton is not an inline TE himself, so while in name they may not be directly interchangeable, in function they much more are so. And I think it would be naive to think Nagy hasn't had Patterson all over the place including TE this offseason.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ryan Nall

6-2, 239lb

I suspect Nall and Burton are better inline blockers than Patterson simply because they they have an inch shorter arms and maybe even shorter legs. Sound counterintuitive but in this case where we're talking about light guys, a lower center is probably more important than reach. That said, I'm sure Nagy has plenty of plays with Patterson lined up tight. ?

Last edited:

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Patterson has been known to line up and play the Burton role. He’s not going to block for you but he will give you the same match up
Agreed, I thought that Patterson should have been taking reps, and Nall (if he would have made the 53) would have been a good fit too, because he actually gives you a blocking threat.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Trey Burton
6-2, 238lb
Cordarrelle Patterson
6-2, 238lb

Patterson while not a TE, took quite a few snaps there last season in NE and Burton is not an inline TE himself, so while in name they may not be directly interchangeable, in function they much more are so. And I think it would be naive to think Nagy hasn't had Patterson all over the place including TE this offseason.
Hope you are right, but I don't remember hearing any reports that Patterson, was practicing in that role.

It would be great to be able to have Patterson burst out in that role, because as a WR, he is the #3 or more likely in the #4 roles.

He could end up being a lot more valuable as the #1 TE threat while Burton is out.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have not seen any hard evidence that Burton has missed time due to mental issues, dogging it, or being injury prone. And he really hasn't missed much time, much less than an average player. And his play on the field was extremely good IMO last year.

However, some of you guys must be onto something here, I guess.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have not seen any hard evidence that Burton has missed time due to mental issues, dogging it, or being injury prone. And he really hasn't missed much time, much less than an average player. And his play on the field was extremely good IMO last year.

However, some of you guys must be onto something here, I guess.

what you have is a combination of stupid Bears fans and a lack of insight into what is going on.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I said Mitch gets no excuses this year and I’m sticking to it. Mitch better find a way to not only win this game but also looking good doing it.
While I have the same attitude, I'm not coming to a conclusion after one fucking game, even if it's at home vs the Packers. I also won't say he's arrived if he plays lights out. Give it a 1/2 dozen weeks for the O to gel and see what happens after D's adjust.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
While I have the same attitude, I'm not coming to a conclusion after one fucking game, even if it's at home vs the Packers. I also won't say he's arrived if he plays lights out. Give it a 1/2 dozen weeks for the O to gel and see what happens after D's adjust.
He won’t “arrive” if he plays great but if he looks like shit that’s certainly a red flag.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Trey Burton
6-2, 238lb
Cordarrelle Patterson
6-2, 238lb

You are 100% correct. Nagy is the most creative OC in the nfl, I'm sure he will figure out a way to implement a gameplan without trey burton.

His issue last year in the playoff game was that he got 24 hours notice on an injury. No one can recover from that.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He won’t “arrive” if he plays great but if he looks like shit that’s certainly a red flag.
For me, it's one game until it's not. Wentz threw a 31 rating against NO last year. It happens and was an out of context game that can come at any time. I won't be happy if Mitch doesn't play well against GB but it's simply a data point in terms of where he's at this year.