Upgrading the OL

Mattracer82

Liked Posts:
Not really. Coward has been worst on the line. Between Leno and Massie, Leno the better pass blocker and Massie the better run blocker.
You obviously don’t watch leno play. He is out of control and plays really soft

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
You obviously don’t watch leno play. He is out of control and plays really soft
Leno has not been at his best this year for certain. Nobody on that line has been which hints at some coaching/scheming weaknesses. You obviously haven't watched Coward though, he's been far worse and easily has been the weakest link.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Leno has not been at his best this year for certain. Nobody on that line has been which hints at some coaching/scheming weaknesses. You obviously haven't watched Coward though, he's been far worse and easily has been the weakest link.
Agreed

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
While the line has played poorly enough to be blown up, it's not happening. Whitehair, Leno and Massie have contracts that mean they are going to be here. Daniels was a high with a good pedigree, who they aren't going to give up on. That leaves only 1 spot to upgrade.

Leno and Whitehair are a year removed from playing at a pro bowl level so I think they can get that back. Part of that is scheme, coaching, and having too much to worry about. A really good RG would solidify the line. And with Massie missing time this year, and with an out in his deal after the year......I think Windy has the right idea.

Spend the largest amount of cap space on RG. Draft a tackle in the 2nd round. Get Leno and Whitehair to 2018 levels, get at worst similar level RG. Then if Massie is bad or hurt again, you got a 2nd round pick on the bench. If Daniels doesn't develop, you have Coward and Bars, who are raw but talented (and now experienced in Coward's case) to push him.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
While the line has played poorly enough to be blown up, it's not happening. Whitehair, Leno and Massie have contracts that mean they are going to be here. Daniels was a high with a good pedigree, who they aren't going to give up on. That leaves only 1 spot to upgrade.

Leno and Whitehair are a year removed from playing at a pro bowl level so I think they can get that back. Part of that is scheme, coaching, and having too much to worry about. A really good RG would solidify the line. And with Massie missing time this year, and with an out in his deal after the year......I think Windy has the right idea.

Spend the largest amount of cap space on RG. Draft a tackle in the 2nd round. Get Leno and Whitehair to 2018 levels, get at worst similar level RG. Then if Massie is bad or hurt again, you got a 2nd round pick on the bench. If Daniels doesn't develop, you have Coward and Bars, who are raw but talented (and now experienced in Coward's case) to push him.

I agree with your general approach, with the exception to your statement that there is only 1 spot to upgrade. I think there are 4. Now I agree with you that Leno and Massie’s contracts makes it hard to move them this year. Fine. I still allocate as many resources to the position group and let the 5 best win. If that means 2 overpriced OTs ride the pine for a year, so be it.

Re-watching these games, it is pathetic how soft and undisciplined they have played. I’m sure part of it is scheme/coaching. Get a new OL coach and get back to basics of moving the guy in front of you off their spot. But that doesn’t change the fact that I think we have only 1 person (whitehair) in that group who is a bonafide starter. Until that is fixed, it won’t matter what new stud TE, RB, etc they try to bring in.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The last Packer game solidified the fact Bears OL must get tougher, to improve short yd and managable 3rd down situations. Upgrade Long (Coward, Bars) to Scherff. Draft best OT in 2nd and have him compete for either T position.

They wont try that because it would make sense

Mattracer82

Liked Posts:
Ya but coward is a backup for a reason not a LT that the team gave a decent contract to.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I don’t get it, if I’m 6’5” 320lbs, I’m fucking people up at the line of scrimmage! Leno is a Pusey for sure and Daniels is young and very weak against some of the bigger guys

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Steal the niners offensive coordinator or line coach run coach or all of them! Then we could win. I seem to remember thinking Raheem mostert was good when he dominated pre season games for us!

dumbasses in front office!

the niners have three rb’s that can take it to the house any any given time! That’s what you need to succeed, fear! The bears would be better off if Cohen played every rb just bc of the fear of pass and explosive runs

jive

Liked Posts:
2 big issues are missed assignments and penalties. Those are coaching issues. The OC or OL coach needs to be replaced, or need to rethink how they are approaching things because it's not working. The O-line wasn't perfect last year, but they didn't suck like they do now.

If nothing changes, this is the best we can hope for:
Leno and Massie return to 2018 form
Whitehair continues to play well.
Daniels develops to be a good LG.
Bars or Coward develops to be an NFL caliber RG.

The holes that need to get filled are RT, LT, and RG. A tackle will probably take a high draft pick or some FA dollar, while a guard could be found in later rounds in the draft or cheaper than a tackle in the FA market. Massie and Leno's contracts make them hard to cut, but they certainly can use some competition. They would be upgrades over the backups we currently have, so we could keep them on the roster. We definitely need a TE, and I think much of the OLs woes have been impacted by the poor blocking of the TEs.

When you add it all up, there's 4 positions that need to be replaced by hit the ground running players, since this is the final year of Mitch's contract. Considering the lack of capital that we have in the draft, and limited space in free agency, I highly doubt that all 4 positions could be filled in the offseason effectively. I certainly hope so, but it would be close to miraculous. I think we're going to have to hope for some guys on our current roster to step it up in 2020.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Steal the niners offensive coordinator or line coach run coach or all of them! Then we could win. I seem to remember thinking Raheem mostert was good when he dominated pre season games for us!

dumbasses in front office!

the niners have three rb’s that can take it to the house any any given time! That’s what you need to succeed, fear! The bears would be better off if Cohen played every rb just bc of the fear of pass and explosive runs

Ya, those 2 big plays Cohen had this year have opposing D's trembling. Or when you said house were you talking about the sideline? Cuz ya, Cohen is a threat to take it to the sideline every time he touches the ball.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
2 big issues are missed assignments and penalties. Those are coaching issues. The OC or OL coach needs to be replaced, or need to rethink how they are approaching things because it's not working. The O-line wasn't perfect last year, but they didn't suck like they do now.

The holes that need to get filled are RT, LT, and RG. A tackle will probably take a high draft pick or some FA dollar, while a guard could be found in later rounds in the draft or cheaper than a tackle in the FA market. Massie and Leno's contracts make them hard to cut, but they certainly can use some competition. They would be upgrades over the backups we currently have, so we could keep them on the roster. We definitely need a TE, and I think much of the OLs woes have been impacted by the poor blocking of the TEs.

When you add it all up, there's 4 positions that need to be replaced by hit the ground running players, since this is the final year of Mitch's contract. Considering the lack of capital that we have in the draft, and limited space in free agency, I highly doubt that all 4 positions could be filled in the offseason effectively. I certainly hope so, but it would be close to miraculous. I think we're going to have to hope for some guys on our current roster to step it up in 2020.
By "missing assignments " does that include Danials lining up face mask to face mask with GB's DT and completely whiffing on the "assignment" pass block for a sack 2-3 times?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My OL Awful Power Rankings

1. Long
2. Coward
3. Leno
4. Massie
5. Daniels

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
An upgraded line can open bigger holes for Montgomery to not run through while he's showing off his dance moves

Thedude

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sign a veteran RG: Graham Glasgow

Draft a 2nd round OT: Mekhi Becton, Josh Jones, Prince Wanogo
Bears track record for drafting OT is bad, so they are due to hit on one. When bears pick in 2nd how many OT will be off board 8 plus

alexbear1

Liked Posts:

I think it's possible to sort out two positions on the OL in the offseason. Sign Brandon Scherff (RG) and draft a player like Lucas Niang (RT) in the 2nd round. Gives you - Leno Jr., Daniels, Whitehair, Scherff, Niang. This immediately makes the run game look better. I'd actually like to see the Bears use a FB as well.

On the left side of the line and if you could trade Leno Jr. then a player like Josh Jones (LT) who still needs some work could be interesting or Prince Tega Wanogho.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
My OL Awful Power Rankings

1. Long
2. Coward
3. Leno
4. Massie
5. Daniels
The first two play the same position. Absolutely ZERO fucking reason Bars shouldn't be playing there the next two games.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Is this true what the writer says in this article that we'll take a $9.6 mil cap hit to let K.Long walk this offseason? I didn't know that if true.