Upgrading the OL

Buddy Dale

Liked Posts:
The way I look at the offensive line is that the three interior lineman need to be good. If one of those three
has problems your entire offensive line has a problem. The Defensive line is different, you can have a mediocre
defensive player but it is not going to hurt you as much.

I would get two guards and have Daniels as a backup. Daniels only weighs 304 lbs, and a 30 lb difference is
tremendous when blocking. Another item is when the Defensive lineman is taller, arm length matters, and Daniels
is short on weight and arm length which is a big factor.

As far as the tackles are concerned, I understand they have big contracts. I would bring in another tackle,
and use my tight end with the weaker tackle.

Therefore two guards and one tackle or two guards and using the tight end.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
It just seems like Hiestand isn't giving them any help. Let's grab a few guys in FA, draft a dude. And get a new OL coach!

Zone run. They're standing still and moving sideways as directed.

The scheme doesn't work for the players.

Change the scheme or replace all the players on the line.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Is this true what the writer says in this article that we'll take a $9.6 mil cap hit to let K.Long walk this offseason? I didn't know that if true.

maybe someone will google it for you, chowderhead
I heard Kyle Long had an option in his contract to play his Nintendo Switch on the sidelines instead of reviewing his gameday photos on a team Microsoft Surface. I don't know if true.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They need 3 OLmen

-Veteran RG capable of starting week 1

-High upside OT to compete at RT or LT.

-Mid round OG/OT to develop to replace someone.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Is this true what the writer says in this article that we'll take a $9.6 mil cap hit to let K.Long walk this offseason? I didn't know that if true.

This is wrong, 9.6 is his cap hit if he's still on the team. Bears get 8.1M in cap savings for cutting Long at any point before season starts. He only has 1.5M in dead money. Skeptical of a "writer" who can't read Spotrac.com giving FA opinions.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I agree with your general approach, with the exception to your statement that there is only 1 spot to upgrade. I think there are 4. Now I agree with you that Leno and Massie’s contracts makes it hard to move them this year. Fine. I still allocate as many resources to the position group and let the 5 best win. If that means 2 overpriced OTs ride the pine for a year, so be it.

Re-watching these games, it is pathetic how soft and undisciplined they have played. I’m sure part of it is scheme/coaching. Get a new OL coach and get back to basics of moving the guy in front of you off their spot. But that doesn’t change the fact that I think we have only 1 person (whitehair) in that group who is a bonafide starter. Until that is fixed, it won’t matter what new stud TE, RB, etc they try to bring in.

Well, I'm speaking form realism. Realistically, they aren't going to allocate tons of sources to 3 guys getting paid over 8mil and a high 2nd round pick. Leno is a year removed from the probowl, and deserved it (as an alternate). Daniels is still developing. The best hope is getting someone to push Massie, but odds are that a rookie won't be any better. And there's almost 0 chance the Bears spend more money on the position in free agency.

2020- Leno (hope he gets back to 2018 levels), Daniels, Whitehair, starting RG in free agency, Massie are starters.
backup OT in draft, Bars, Coward, veteran that can play C if you don't want to move Daniels back in case of injury.

2021- Leno or 2nd rounder, Daniels/Bars Whitehair, 2020 FA, 2nd rounder. Bars/Daniels backup, Coward a FA. Massie cut. Draft another OT early if Leno doesn't rebound. Draft an OG early if Daniels/Bars don't step up.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Well, I'm speaking form realism. Realistically, they aren't going to allocate tons of sources to 3 guys getting paid over 8mil and a high 2nd round pick. Leno is a year removed from the probowl, and deserved it (as an alternate). Daniels is still developing. The best hope is getting someone to push Massie, but odds are that a rookie won't be any better. And there's almost 0 chance the Bears spend more money on the position in free agency.

2020- Leno (hope he gets back to 2018 levels), Daniels, Whitehair, starting RG in free agency, Massie are starters.
backup OT in draft, Bars, Coward, veteran that can play C if you don't want to move Daniels back in case of injury.

2021- Leno or 2nd rounder, Daniels/Bars Whitehair, 2020 FA, 2nd rounder. Bars/Daniels backup, Coward a FA. Massie cut. Draft another OT early if Leno doesn't rebound. Draft an OG early if Daniels/Bars don't step up.

We just disagree on Daniels and Leno from a talent perspective. I don’t care that Leno went to the Pro Bowl last year, and I don’t feel he deserved it, just like Long didn’t deserve it that year he played RT. He was above average last year, which was an anomaly for his career. He has been getting his ass handed to him every game this year. He got trucked by a blitzing CB in one game. I have little doubt that a 2nd round OT With talent who catches on quickly would replace either Leno or Massie. They both have been that bad.

Daniels wasn’t great last year, and has looked awful this year. Absolutely no push up front and constantly gets walked back into the pocket or jyst put on his back outright. I believe a Solomon Kindley or Trey Smith take his spot before the opening game.

I do agree with you that we obviously can’t allocate ALL of our resources to the OL, and Leno and Massie’s contracts make it unlikely they get released, but if we go into next season with Leno-Daniels-whitehair-middling FA-Massie, then we will all see a repeat of what happened this year.

4 out of 5 of the starting OL suck, and would not start on most teams currently having success.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Crazy deep OT draft.

That's what I've been waiting to hear. There was really no options to fix the oline last year.

If I'm the GM I'm talking him into retiring. He can't be feeling too good.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
We just disagree on Daniels and Leno from a talent perspective. I don’t care that Leno went to the Pro Bowl last year, and I don’t feel he deserved it, just like Long didn’t deserve it that year he played RT. He was above average last year, which was an anomaly for his career. He has been getting his ass handed to him every game this year. He got trucked by a blitzing CB in one game. I have little doubt that a 2nd round OT With talent who catches on quickly would replace either Leno or Massie. They both have been that bad.

Daniels wasn’t great last year, and has looked awful this year. Absolutely no push up front and constantly gets walked back into the pocket or jyst put on his back outright. I believe a Solomon Kindley or Trey Smith take his spot before the opening game.

I do agree with you that we obviously can’t allocate ALL of our resources to the OL, and Leno and Massie’s contracts make it unlikely they get released, but if we go into next season with Leno-Daniels-whitehair-middling FA-Massie, then we will all see a repeat of what happened this year.

4 out of 5 of the starting OL suck, and would not start on most teams currently having success.

It's not an anomaly that Leno was good. It was called progression. He was getting better each year, as a guy that was picked in the 7th round. And he's not as bad as you think he's been this year. His bad plays just stick out because 1) they are very bad and 2) he's usually facing the best pass rusher on the defense.

I don't disagree on Daniels. Just saying he can and should get better. If he doesn't we have Bars that we have the same hope for.

As for the future, the Bears came into this season with Leno, Whitehair, Daniels, Long, Massie as the OL.....all returning from 2018's playoff team. 2 coming off the pro-bowl (whether you think they deserved it or not, their peers did), 1 more with a probowl past. 4 of the 5 had played together for multiple years and they added a top 40 talent to the group. Nobody thought the OL would be the Achilles heel this year, even knowing Long would get hurt at some point. So you can't really predict they'll be a disaster next year. They'll hopefully have better contingency plans in place and improvement by the younger guys.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
It's not an anomaly that Leno was good. It was called progression. He was getting better each year, as a guy that was picked in the 7th round. And he's not as bad as you think he's been this year. His bad plays just stick out because 1) they are very bad and 2) he's usually facing the best pass rusher on the defense.

I don't disagree on Daniels. Just saying he can and should get better. If he doesn't we have Bars that we have the same hope for.

As for the future, the Bears came into this season with Leno, Whitehair, Daniels, Long, Massie as the

OL.....all returning from 2018's playoff team. 2 coming off the pro-bowl (whether you think they deserved it or not, their peers did), 1 more with a probowl past. 4 of the 5 had played together for multiple years and they added a top 40 talent to the group. Nobody thought the OL would be the Achilles heel this year, even knowing Long would get hurt at some point. So you can't really predict they'll be a disaster next year. They'll hopefully have better contingency plans in place and improvement by the younger guys.

Perhaps you’re right and I’m being too hard on Leno. I agree with you on Bars, I thought he was a nice pickup. But the right side certainly needs to be fixed. Scherff would be awesome and hopefully a 2nd round OT pans out and takes Massie’s spot.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t move Daniels back.

The mental part of the game got him. 202 beat him up as much as 10.

Leave him and let him grow at one spot.

But the guy did just fine calling protections at Iowa. Admittedly not the most complicated offensive scheme, mind you, but known for developing OL and still did the calls for 3 years. Is the problem perhaps more than 202 was overwhelming, or overly complicated? Could be that the fundamentals he learned, and knows from his time in an offense that preaches and prides itself in teaching fundamentals, didn’t jive with the poor fundamentals inherent in Nagy’s version of an offense?