Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I binge watched it for the first time this past summer. It was awesome, I can't believe I didn't watch it the first time around.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I watched for the 4th time this year. Still like it better each time. I am still appreciating shit I missed before. Its pretty insane how intricate the show really is.

Also watched the wire for a 3rd time this year. Unlike sopranos, for me, that show loses a little luster each time I watch and I notice more problems with it.

I still like the wire better for a more direct reflection of society and image of a world foreign to me. As an empathy device.

But from an artistic perspective, I now think Sopranos is a far superior show. There are some downright genius episodes and as a whole, the series is a masterpiece within the medium. The very pinnacle of long form narrative imo.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I watched for the 4th time this year. Still like it better each time. I am still appreciating shit I missed before. Its pretty insane how intricate the show really is.

Also watched the wire for a 3rd time this year. Unlike sopranos, for me, that show loses a little luster each time I watch and I notice more problems with it.

I still like the wire better for a more direct reflection of society and image of a world foreign to me. As an empathy device.

But from an artistic perspective, I now think Sopranos is a far superior show. There are some downright genius episodes and as a whole, the series is a masterpiece within the medium. The very pinnacle of long form narrative imo.

agreed. it's not really fair to compare them.

as far as noticing things you missed the first 3 (or in our case 6) times, I just noticed in a scene where Carmela and Tony are arguing with Meadow about her wanting to go to Europe while she's fucking off from college after Jackie Jr. died, she calls Tony out for being a mob boss and he just out of nowhere denies killing Jackie Jr., and Meadow and Carmela are both like 'where the fuck did that come from?' And the scene ends with Carmela just staring at the floor and letting herself realize that Tony did make that happen. Obvious but so powerful and totally missed it the first 6 times

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They showed tremendous restraint with that show. And the actors did a spectacular job conveying subtext. Its all there if you're paying attention. Good shit.

Did you watch nurse jackie? first 3 seasons are phenomenal.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
They showed tremendous restraint with that show. And the actors did a spectacular job conveying subtext. Its all there if you're paying attention. Good shit.

Did you watch nurse jackie? first 3 seasons are phenomenal.

nah, we just cut the cord and lost showtime, but will check it out. Edie Falco, and, well, just, everyone from the Sopranos have earned my lifelong respect for how they made that shit work.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
also, Johhny Sack is my spirit animal.

'That ship has sailed.'

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I personally believe it is the greatest television drama of all time. It also changed the television industry forever. There are certainly other great TV shows worthy of praise but I don't think any before or after have been written with as much depth or subtext. Additionally, the show had outstanding acting and production values rarely, if ever, previously seen in television shows.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This fucker never works. The office time thief

It's kind of mind boggling to think about how rich you've told us you've become and how you worked out with Walter Payton and golfed with the greats, and yet here you are in your alleged retirement, spewing venom at anonymous people online.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I personally believe it is the greatest television drama of all time. It also changed the television industry forever. There are certainly other great TV shows worthy of praise but I don't think any before or after have been written with as much depth or subtext. Additionally, the show had outstanding acting and production values rarely, if ever, previously seen in television shows.

Totes. I do believe TV had a golden age (or at least subscription 'prestige' television), and people like to point to Oz or generally HBO for kicking it off. I agree with that, but I really think Sopranos was the one that established the foothold, changed the game, and inspired tons of inferior antihero narratives.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
It's kind of mind boggling to think about how rich you've told us you've become and how you worked out with Walter Payton and golfed with the greats, and yet here you are in your alleged retirement, spewing venom at anonymous people online.
legacy-of-anger-min.png

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I always wondered what Ray Liotta would have brought to the show had he accepted a role.

Fun fact- 28 Sopranos cast and guest members were also in the move Goodfellas

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I always wondered what Ray Liotta would have brought to the show had he accepted a role.

Fun fact- 28 Sopranos cast and guest members were also in the move Goodfellas

I don't think I would have liked it as much, and that's nothing against Ray in Goodfellas. It's one of the things I love about the show, though. Like how Chrissie got shot in the foot as Spider in Goodfellas and then 'pays homage' to it when he's getting his pastries. And they never gave a fuck about disrupting their 'universe' by referencing the Godfather, Scorcese, etc.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I don't think I would have liked it as much, and that's nothing against Ray in Goodfellas. It's one of the things I love about the show, though. Like how Chrissie got shot in the foot as Spider in Goodfellas and then 'pays homage' to it when he's getting his pastries. And they never gave a fuck about disrupting their 'universe' by referencing the Godfather, Scorcese, etc.

I tuned in religiously when it was running. I have a few seasons on DVD. And I stop and watch if I ever catch it whilst surfing.
You and snotfly have made me want to revisit it and binge watch.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The Sopranos is still my favorite TV show of all time. Depending how the last season of GOT goes, that could change.

I didn't occur to me that there were still people that have not seen it, sorry

Tony definitely got killed in the diner at the end.

Last edited:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I guess imma have to watch the Sopranos. I watched a couple seasons when it was on and then fizzled out on it. Is it as GOAT as The Wire tho?

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I guess imma have to watch the Sopranos. I watched a couple seasons when it was on and then fizzled out on it. Is it as GOAT as The Wire tho?

The wire was great, Sopranos is better IMHO opinion.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The wire was great, Sopranos is better IMHO opinion.

Tard and u keep saying this and it's making me feel small. Thoughts on Battlestar Galactica?