Watching the Sopranos for the 7th Time

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I have been loving Tony's repeated mantra that family is everything..all you can count on.
And his family fucks him coming and going.

As far as I can see, the only people that are rock solid dependable are Sil and Paulie.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I have been loving Tony's repeated mantra that family is everything..all you can count on.

As far as I can see, the only people that are rock solid dependable are Sil and Paulie.

Word to the wise... remember Pearl Harbor!

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:

Paulie was a bitch. In the end only Sil served him well. Did he survive?

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Paulie was a bitch. In the end only Sil served him well. Did he survive?

Sil was messed up, last we heard they didn't know if he would live.

At one point Paulie was giving inside info to Johnny Sack, Johnny lied and told Paulie that Carmine Lupertazzi loved him and wanted him to come to New York and be a capo. That worked out great until Paulie said hello to Carmine at a wedding and Carmine had no idea who Paulie was. lol

The info that Paulie gave NY cost Tony millions.

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
FWIW, it seems like airtime isn't up to that point.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sil was messed up, last we heard they didn't know if he would live.

At one point Paulie was giving inside info to Johnny Sack, Johnny lied and told Paulie that Carmine Lupertazzi loved him and wanted him to come to New York and be a capo. That worked out great until Paulie said hello to Carmine at a wedding and Carmine had no idea who Paulie was. lol

The info that Paulie gave NY cost Tony millions.

Yep, that’s why I said he was a bitch. Johnny Sack played him and Paulie confided all too much in him.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cool video, there are spoilers.

[video=youtube;cSUFaSVPCRQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSUFaSVPCRQ[/video]

At 33:10 it is confirmed that Chase new the ending when the show started. How Tony died may have evolved, but the fact that he died was written in stone.

Last edited:

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I saw that on the elevator captivate thingy. Not sure how to feel about it. They also cast Vera Farmiga an Jon Bernthal, who always does this super fake Brooklyn guy shtick, so hopefully it won't be too much of a shit show

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
I saw that on the elevator captivate thingy. Not sure how to feel about it. They also cast Vera Farmiga an Jon Bernthal, who always does this super fake Brooklyn guy shtick, so hopefully it won't be too much of a shit show
I do like Jon Bernthal but cringe at the thought of him in anything related to The Sopranos

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Whatever that accent is supposed to be on The Punisher is bad. He did a good job on the accent in Fury. I always thought he was a good actor, maybe just looked good compared to the rest of TWD cast.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Whatever that accent is supposed to be on The Punisher is bad. He did a good job on the accent in Fury. I always thought he was a good actor, maybe just looked good compared to the rest of TWD cast.

Didn't mind him in Fury or Walking Dead, but disliked him in everything else I've seen him in, because it always seemed to be this faux wannabe Mean Streets De Niro BS. I haven't seen the Punisher but my brother told me to check it out even though I'm not a big comics/superhero/Bernthal fan.

Then again, I thought I'd hate Little Steven in Sopranos and ended up loving him in it and even more in Lilyhammer.

What I mean is that his performance is so over the top (even though he is a legit Jersey wop IRL) that I thought it would grate on me, but David Chase (and he) had a way of making it work, and Little Steven continued it to great comedic effect in his own series. Also helps that he is just an awesome dude IRL too.

Fun fact: Little Steven was in the original running to play Tony, as was Ray Liotta, David Provale (who ended up playing Richie Aprile), and Michael Rispoli (who ended up playing Jackie Aprile Sr), and some other surprising folks whom I can't remember right now.

Tony Sirico (Paulie) originally auditioned to play Uncle Junior.

Lorraine Bracco was the original idea to play Carmela, although she'd already 'done that' in Goodfellas. She and Chase offer conflicting stories about whose idea it was for her to play Melfi.

Last edited:

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Didn't mind him in Fury or Walking Dead, but disliked him in everything else I've seen him in, because it always seemed to be this faux wannabe Mean Streets De Niro BS. I haven't seen the Punisher but my brother told me to check it out even though I'm not a big comics/superhero/Bernthal fan.

Then again, I thought I'd hate Little Steven in Sopranos and ended up loving him in it and even more in Lilyhammer.

What I mean is that his performance is so over the top (even though he is a legit Jersey wop IRL) that I thought it would grate on me, but David Chase (and he) had a way of making it work, and Little Steven continued it to great comedic effect in his own series. Also helps that he is just an awesome dude IRL too.

Fun fact: Little Steven was in the original running to play Tony, as was Ray Liotta, David Provale (who ended up playing Richie Aprile), and Michael Rispoli (who ended up playing Jackie Aprile Sr), and some other surprising folks whom I can't remember right now.

Tony Sirico (Paulie) originally auditioned to play Uncle Junior.

Lorraine Bracco was the original idea to play Carmela, although she'd already 'done that' in Goodfellas. She and Chase offer conflicting stories about whose idea it was for her to play Melfi.

Little Steven killed it, I've never seen Lilyhammer, heard it's good. Little Steven's RL wife played his Sopranos wife, she was great, type casting, tough Jersey broad.

David Provale as Tony would have been a huge mistake, that guy is just too unlikable. Gandolfini was a charming guy, and he needed every bit of it to keep the audience on that psycho characters side.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Little Steven killed it, I've never seen Lilyhammer, heard it's good. Little Steven's RL wife played his Sopranos wife, she was great, type casting, tough Jersey broad.

David Provale as Tony would have been a huge mistake, that guy is just too unlikable. Gandolfini was a charming guy, and he needed every bit of it to keep the audience on that psycho characters side.

Provale was perfect as Richie; couldn't see him in any other role, or carrying the show.

Gandolfini being cast as Tony made the show. Chase was already tired of TV and didn't think the show would make it past the pilot stage. His plan was to tack on another 30 minutes and pitch it as a feature once it didn't get picked up. I truly believe Gandolfini changed all that.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Provale was perfect as Richie; couldn't see him in any other role, or carrying the show.

Gandolfini being cast as Tony made the show. Chase was already tired of TV and didn't think the show would make it past the pilot stage. His plan was to tack on another 30 minutes and pitch it as a feature once it didn't get picked up. I truly believe Gandolfini changed all that.

I saw Gandolfini in other things and he was a good actor, but he was Tony. Perfect fit actor to role.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I saw Gandolfini in other things and he was a good actor, but he was Tony. Perfect fit actor to role.

yeah, chase pretty much said the same thing (even after gandolfini ended up flaking on or walking out of like 3 auditions), and sadly, I think it would have been hard for him to be seen as any other character. kinda like jon hamm/don draper.

the one movie where I really saw him post-sopranos where he was given room really to show some range was Enough Said (I think it was his last movie; I kinda got choked up watching it :( ), which is worth watching for him and Julia Louis-Dreyfuss.