Watson is the best player in the world

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I just can't objectively say after 6 games, "This guy is the best player in the league". And I couldn't say that if I had ONE game to win, that out of every QB in the league, I would start Deshaun Watson over guys like Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers(obviously a healthy Rodgers). He probably wouldn't even be in my top 5, honestly.

I feel like in order to be the best in the world, you need to display a lengthy pattern of playing Hall of Fame caliber football at the NFL level.

It's within reason to think that teams could play him tougher next year after studying lots of tape on him. It's also within reason, that while defenses defend him better, he learns their tendencies and weaknesses, adjusts, and exploits them. Only time will tell.

I'm not going to be one of the people to bash or be pissed off like it's Watson vs. Trubisky or anything. But I definitely can't agree with you. To each his own!

Thanks for the reasoned response.

The way I feel is that is that if GMs were to pick a player to build a team around from scratch, he would likely win it (before the injury more so, I guess). Rookie picks in the otherwise ridiculous stat line, of course, but I think he's the most important football player in the NFL at this time. What he's shown capable of if his leg will be ok, I think he's the top guy in the NFL looking forward.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The way I feel is that is that if GMs were to pick a player to build a team around from scratch, he would likely win it (before the injury more so, I guess). Rookie picks in the otherwise ridiculous stat line, of course, but I think he's the most important football player in the NFL at this time. What he's shown capable of if his leg will be ok, I think he's the top guy in the NFL looking forward.

I find it hard to believe they would actually pick Watson myself, and i am a big Watson fan. I just don't see, under that scenario, any gm picking a rookie QB with 5-6 games under his belt. Rodgers, Ryan, Stafford, Wentz would all be well above him on that list.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What does that have to do with Watson? RGIII took his whole rookie season to put as many TDs on the board as Watson did in six games.
RGIII had 5 more TDs (27) and Watson matched his INT total in 2 games. Same passer rating.

I expect Watson to continue to improve even if his stats don't but many said the same about RGIII.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Right now, that young guy is Wentz. Carr, Watson, Prescott and Wilson are in the same area. Cousins may not be bad choice either. Heck, with what Goff is doing this year, do you exclude him? Issue also comes down to fit, associated personnel and what you're willing to run. It's still a pocket passing league and Watson, while seemingly good at it, may be the worst of that group. May not be as well but it's too early to know.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
RGIII had 5 more TDs (27) and Watson matched his INT total in 2 games. Same passer rating.

I expect Watson to continue to improve even if his stats don't but many said the same about RGIII.
Watson was accounting for over 2.3 more TDs than ints per game. Over a season that's a TD to int differential of +37, compared to RGIIIs +22. And they were scoring over 30 every game with him. I think Watson is a much more dynamic playmaker than RGIII was. It would be scary if he did improve.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's fine but 8 games doesn't tell a story for a season and they have the same passer rating. Do you remember who the last guy was that you went ape shit like this about? It's early. It would have been fun to see if a D could figure him out and if so, how he countered. Now we'll need to wait until next year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

It's interesting stuff and some of what I was referring to, to see if teams could find the key to defend it. He's a bit dismissive of O'Brien and Watson in terms of luck and consistency. They made the moves and plays. It counts. I've always said the NFL is a big play league and Watson has been making them like no one else this year. The issue becomes, what happens if an opponent can defend those? It's hard to keep Hopkins and Fuller in check all game but it may be something else. Does he run more? I personally wouldn't want that. Can he sustain drives with judicial passing?

It's a great start and both those guys deserve kudos for doing what they did but it's 8 games and there's usually a team that figures something out to defend any O. It then gets mimicked and an O has to adjust. Maybe this O would sustain itself as is but that's not the norm. Maybe they have more in their trick bag and adjust quickly but we just don't know that yet.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Lol, Mick gonna ruin Watson's career with this early endorsement. Although he may not have the knees to take a knee during the anthem, like Mick's other most important football player QB from a few years ago.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
How did I miss this gem of a post by Bearmick? This should have been up for the worst thread of the year award

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Originally Posted by bearmick View Post

What does that have to do with Watson? RGIII took his whole rookie season to put as many TDs on the board as Watson did in six games.

per bearmick ......
not sure what RG3 has to do with Watson or why it's relevant

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
For what it's worth Texas was awful with Savage at Qb....with Watson they became a top 10 "O".....might've been top 5

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For what it's worth Texas was awful with Savage at Qb....with Watson they became a top 10 "O".....might've been top 5

The difference couldn't be more stark. Almost dead last in drives that led to points with Savage. Immediately top 10 in the league with rookie Watson with the same team around him.

Deitz8rVAAEK7lC.jpg

Deiu_7-VQAAP8Og.jpg:large

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jimmy better than Brady. Jimmy better than everyone. Jimmy is the elite of the elite.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
15363d2794ac46209e46c00b8f973215.gif

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk