Week 10 film review: Offense

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
TAKEAWAYS

1. Matt Nagy outcoaches Matt Patricia

In the battle of first year coaches, Matt Nagy made Matt Patricia look silly. The Bears looked to be in another league than the Lions in this game. Nagy added a wrinkle into the offense this week and Patricia had no answer for it. Nagy basically deployed a no huddle offense where Trubisky would line up the squad immediately after the play clock began. This would allow Nagy 10-15 seconds to read the defensive formation and relay any adjustments he wanted to make to Trubisky through the headset before it was cutoff. It’s the same strategy that Sean McVay was found to be utilizing with Jared Goff last season.

2. Allen Robinson looks to be healthy

It is said that coming off of ACL tears, it’s those first 2-3 steps that you struggle to get back. If you’ve watched Cameron Meredith this season, he looked like he was running in sand off of the snap. Based on this game and the first 2-3 steps, it looks as though Robinson is 100%

3. Mako Mitch looks the most comfortable he has looked in the NFL

To steal a phrase from a fellow CCS poster, Trubisky looked cool, calm, and collected out there. He seemed relaxed and very sure of himself. He looked to be in total control.

4. Run blocking issues

With all the positives, the running game just could not get going. There was very little push from the line, hardly ever a hole to run through, and several missed blocks. Witzmann was getting thrown around for a good portion of the game and he couldn’t move defensive tackles off of their spot. Whitehair missed a couple of blocks. Daniels was moved back a few times. And both of the Burtons were made to look foolish at times.

THE TAPE

As previously stated, the running game never got on track in this game. Bryan Witzmann got the start over Erik Kush. He had a rough start. Here he gets driven back, effectively killing the running play...

GD99KnD.jpg

7qsyCQ.gif

It was a different story in the passing game. Yes, Nagy was calling the right plays. But the players still need to execute. Here you have Allen Robinson beating the defender right off the snap, completely turning him around, and Trubisky throwing a dart in stride...

9gruk0t.jpg

96Fqhf.gif

Cody Whitehair getting beheaded in the run game...

OuGtLC.gif

Tarik Cohen against any linebacker is such a mismatch. Sorry Christian Jones...

jsQWrd9.jpg

vc4mNW.gif

Here Trubisky knows exactly where he needs to go with the ball based on the pre snap read. He keeps his eyes to the left in order to look off the safety, then he turns and fires immediately into the small window to beat the coverage...

iXO7SpV.jpg

buG0a8.gif

This play illustrates Trubisky’s growing confidence. He’s got Anthony Miller open in the flat. He pump fakes to freeze the underneath defender and goes for the kill shot...

vD2kBI.gif

Ffqv0w.gif

Comedy of errors. Witzmann gets tied up at the line on a screen pass, collides with Cohen, and doesn’t get up field in time to make the block...

3Qwezc.gif

Gotta give a lot of credit to Allen Robinson on this play. First of all, he beats the cb off the line again with his footwork.

Y3Fy9HU.jpg

As Trubisky turns to look at Robinson, he’s got a good yard and a half on him.

wWuPE3P.jpg

Based on that, I gotta assume this wasn’t intended to be a back shoulder throw. What a great adjustment by Robinson on the back end...

h-mIMi.gif

When you’re doubling an interior defensive lineman, you have got to be able to move him off of his spot...

ClK6fhK.jpg

oI8Op-.gif

Nice pick play by Burton to reroute the slot cb and get Cohen wide open...

4quScQL.jpg

Eh7PRN.gif

I have no idea how Trubisky got out of this, but I’d like to point out that he got a couple of Lions players to run into each other (like the cartoons)...

qtFjVN.gif

Here Anthony Miller gets sandwiched in between a linebacker and a slot corner, yet he still manages to complete his route...

QwojTe8.jpg

ELRluL.gif

Here again it looks like they have a linebacker on Cohen. Only this time it’s actually a disguised double team with the safety shooting in. This ball was not off target. Cohen just stopped short on his route to avoid decapitation...

l1GnBw.gif

M5bO1S.gif

Full on fade away under pressure...

EVIih-.gif

Although not a completion, I thought this next play was Trubisky’s best throw. It’s a pass to Anthony Miller to the deep middle of the field on 3rd and long. Miller is not open on this play, not...even...close. There is a defender in underneath coverage right in front of Miller. There is a defender on Miller’s hip. And there is a defender over the top of Miller. Yet Trubisky rifles an antipication throw surgically through the defense 22+ yards through the air and right in Miller’s hands.

Here is Miller right before Trubisky releases the ball...

9ODNyfd.jpg

Here’s Miller with the ball in the air...

Bvkpfo6.jpg

Here is the ball hitting Miller in the hands

6u4Iatx.jpg

H9WPbU.gif

uaLaek.gif

Trubisky can generate great velocity on his passes, so much so that he can make 20+ yard darts look routine...

yIam9J.gif

Allen Robinson yet again beats his man at the line of scrimmage...

iEw03a.gif

Run blocking summed up in 1 play. Fullback Burton goes to block the outside linebacker and bounces off of him as if he just ran into a brick wall...

BCGIAIz.jpg

Ilb80F.gif

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Thanks for posting this. The most impressive thing to me is how accurate Trubisky is when the OL is getting manhandled. And most of these throws weren’t merely ‘safety-valve’ dump offs to the RBs…they were actual downfield targets.

*Lion blitzer gets a free run up the middle at Trubisky because Witzmann doesn’t recognize, and Trubisky calmly throws a slant to Robinson.

*Daniels literally pushed back into Trubisky, yet Trubisky still completes a pass between Lion DBs.

*Daniels turned around, Witzmann collides with Cohen, Trubisky still completes pass to Cohen.

*Witzmann, Whitehair & Massie in disarray as 3 Lions immediately collapse the pocket, and Trubisky somehow hits Cohen in stride across the field despite Lion directly in his face.

*Daniels and Whitehair beaten moments after the snap, Trubisky scrambles for 15 yards.

*Massie lets his man get around him, Trubisky dumps it off to Howard.

*Witzmann immediately beaten up the middle, Trubisky stands in the pocket and completes TD to Robinson.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Good work again Adi. If you've ever wondered why the bears seemingly have a a guy wide open often from the 3 bunch sets. Sims explains it as, "exploiting the cone" here in this podcast.

Bears/Trubisky talk starts around the 40 minute mark.

[video=youtube_share;dXfL60Wi3Bg]https://youtu.be/dXfL60Wi3Bg[/video]

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You don't necessarily need to turn your head immediately right on a back shoulder, long throw like that.....you may tip off the CB. Whether it was a back shoulder or not, AR did make a great catch....

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Why have a fullback if he falls over that quick on a full steam ahead block? That was sad. Get low dude, at least lay down in front of him

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
You don't necessarily need to turn your head immediately right on a back shoulder, long throw like that.....you may tip off the CB. Whether it was a back shoulder or not, AR did make a great catch....

Yup. His catch radius is huge. Now that his legs are back, he’s back to being a top 10 WR.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I thought the incomplete Gabriel bomb in the end zone was one of the best balls he threw. Gabriel had a step and the defender still caught up to defend and it had nothing to do with ball placement, Gabriel barely got there. I know he's not as fast as advertised in pads but that surprised me. I suspect his knee is affecting him.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought the incomplete Gabriel bomb in the end zone was one of the best balls he threw. Gabriel had a step and the defender still caught up to defend and it had nothing to do with ball placement, Gabriel barely got there. I know he's not as fast as advertised in pads but that surprised me. I suspect his knee is affecting him.

That was a hell of a play by the CB....Ball could not have been thrown any better.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks Adi, minus the banned shark based nickname of course

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
We can Drop the Mako Mitch moniker.

National media who like trubisky are starting to call him Maserati Mitch.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
National media who like trubisky are starting to call him Maserati Mitch.

Somehow, someway...that is even worse than Mako.

I am content waiting for the day we can just call him "MVP Mitch".

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I haven't rewatched as I rarely do anymore but look at his release point on his 1st 2 throws from the pocket. It's higher and he's on top of those. I don't think he necessarily needs to do that to be accurate but it will give a ball that will serve him better in the wind etc. I think his 3rd throw while moving left close to his shoulder with similar success. I suspect some of his accuracy issues have him been getting caught between the 2 motions, the higher release being acquired post college. It's something that will help him long term.

Either I'm imagining that's the case or he could become a monster after another off season and more games. Calling Mitch a student of his position would be an understatement. I don't think he's a genius by any means but he's no dummy. It's obvious that he works very hard at it and isn't taking anything for granted.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
It’s actually crazy to look at this play compared to his week 1 happy feet leave the pocket.

This offense is a ton of fun to watch.

The throw to Robinson where he ‘looks off the safety’ I’m really impressed with the ball placement. I didn’t realize how tight that window was, impressive accuracy on that throw.

BearsJR

Liked Posts:
That was a hell of a play by the CB....Ball could not have been thrown any better.

I’m still not sure how that’s not defensive PI. The corner never looked back, and had his left hand on his hip. Then basically dove into the receiver and tipped the ball cuz he was doing a Superman. I thought the whole point was having to look back or make zero contact.