Week 17 film review: Trubisky’s progress into the playoffs

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears imposed their will on the Vikings in this game in every way imaginable, the most glaring of all being physically. They pounded the Vikings from the first play of the game. It was one crushing collision after another, both on defense and on offense. It wasn’t all sunshine and roses for Trubisky, but the progress is evident.

THE OFFENSE

Nagy’s gameplan in this game was to avoid the Vikings pass rush at all costs and minimize Zimmer’s opportunities to confuse Trubisky with his outside the box coverage and pressure schemes. To accomplish this, he ran early and often to acquire manageable 3rd downs and no obvious pass situations where Zimmer could play with his defense. When he did pass, it was predominantly 3 step drops and a sprinkle of designed deep shots with extra pass protection on early downs. Massie/Leno against the Vikings edge rushers is a real big mismatch. The couple of times Nagy actually called a longer drop back with no extra protections, Massie/Leno were getting destroyed.

The very first Bears offensive series was basically the blueprint for the whole game offensively. The physical pounding of the Minnesota Vikings began on the first play. It was a power run with TE’s, an OT in at fullback, and multiple Minnesota bodies falling by the wayside.

9yB4nu.gif

The tone was set. The Vikings were not going up against a team looking ahead to the playoffs. Play 2 was a zone run acting as a change up, and Josh Bellamy somehow sealed 2 Vikings defenders for the cutback run...

nuheHVg.jpg

gxe784.gif

Play 3 is a run by Miller, but focus on the lead blocker (Howard) as he just lays a brutal hit on the defensive back...

lYrQRB8.jpg

dOcNlm.gif

Play #4 is the Miller injury. At first I thought he fell on the shoulder, but the shoulder actually dislocated right after a simple juke move before Miller fell to the ground...

gg2Whh.gif

On 3rd and short, Nagy finally calls the first pass play, and it’s a 3 step drop. One thing aboot designed 3 step drops, the QB pretty much has to get rid of the ball early or get the hell out of the pocket quickly. Because of the short timing routes coupled with the different technique the offensive line utilized on these plays, you could get yourself killed holding onto the ball. The Oline tries to engage the defense almost immediately instead of backpedaling on these types of plays to keep the throwing lanes open for the QB and to stop any immediate pressure. OT’s sometimes utilize chop blocks. The offensive line basically attacks the defense off the snap to keep the pocket completely clean for a very short and immediate period of time. If the QB doesn’t get rid of the ball, the protection collapses on him.

Here is a screenshot of the offensive line right after the snap on the first called pass. Instead of backpedaling, the line moves laterally to not give up any ground. Leno/Daniels/Long engage their assignments within the first step to halt the rush and preserve the pocket...

GBH72gA.jpg

A moment later, Massie attempts a chop block...

elElQM4.jpg

The play is set up to go to 1 of the 2 receivers set up to the right, but the linebacker sinks into the zone they are attacking at the very last moment, cutting off the throwing lane.

eSxSXgv.jpg

Since it’s a designed 3 step drop, Trubisky should either just throw it away or get out of the pocket, but he shows greet awareness in seeing that the rush was not going to get to him, so he stayed patient in the pocket. Kyle Long does a great job helping extend the play by moving off his assignment and taking on Massie’s, who just sold out in order to stop the initial rush. At the same time, on the other side of the field Shaheen is running wide open after 2 Vikings defenders get tangled into each other.

LLXyIP4.jpg

It’s easy to say that Trubisky should have hit the open Shaheen for the TD, but remember that his progressions were never designed to even get to that side of the field. He still should have hit him, but it wasn’t as simple as it looked. Trubisky does eventually glance in Shaheen’s direction, but I think it was just as a quick show to move the middle linebacker. If he did see Shaheen and just chose not to throw it to him, maybe he was a bit reluctant as it was his first pass of the game and he didn’t want to sail a pass he had to get some air under, instead going with the fastball underneath to Burton.

Either way, the process to get it to Burton was sound. Trubisky waited out the middle linebacker. In this position, the LB could still impact the throwing lane to Burton...

2atytT6.jpg

Trubisky stays perfectly still in his stance in order to not tip off the attempt to Burton. He then glances to his left, and the moment the LB commits to that side Trubisky fires it to Burton...

fnsinDF.jpg

gjQFJX1.jpg

Yes, it should have been a TD. But Trubisky still took a failed play and turned it into a first down on a route that had already ended...

saKkcF.gif

SLTPDj.gif

Accuracy

Sometimes it looks as though Trubisky overthinks things and tries to make the perfect throw. Here he sails a pass to an open Burton...

x_Qe12.gif

I am reminded of some comments Troy Aikman made recently in reference to Dak Prescott. On accuracy, he said that you either have it or you don’t. He said that the good QB’s in the NFL are accurate no matter their mechanics. They can still put the ball where they want to even when they are off balance. Trubisky possesses this trait when he is throwing on instinct. On this particular play, a blitzing linebacker is coming at Trubisky untouched through the LOS. Trubisky has no time to overthink this throw, nor does he have time to step into his throw. Yet he still slings the ball 25 yards in the air using only his arm with pressure directly in his face and puts it right where it has to be through a tiny window. This is a BIG TIME throw, and that is putting it lightly...

ZkVNdj.gif

MIND GAMES

One thing that was really noticeable in this game was Trubisky consistently bleeding the play clock. And sure, it’s hard getting plays called with that annoying horn blowing. But some of it also had to do with how Zimmer disguises his defenses, and Trubisky trying to coax the defense into showing their cards early pre snap. And then Trubisky trying to adjust the play accordingly. There was a pre snap battle between Harrison Smith and Mitchell Trubisky throughout the entire game. Trubisky tried to figure out where Smith was going, and Smith tried to fool him.

On this play Smith is lined up 10 yards off the line, seemingly to take away an in breaking Gabriel.

9um1thT.jpg

As the play clock runs down, Smith creeps in toward the LOS looking like he may blitz...

AwGM5Gn.jpg

Trubisky notices this, and thinks he may have a 1 on 1 with Gabriel on the outside. So he throws a quick pass to Gabriel immediately. Smith takes a false step toward the qb, but he stays in coverage. Smith wins this round...

T-nhwi.gif

But on the very next play, Trubisky and the Bears turn it around on the vikings. Trubisky looks to be making dummy calls to get the Vikings to step into their real coverage assignments presnap. Smith looks to have taken the bait, jumping towards the LOS as if he’s going to blitz again. But this time, the offensive line points Smith out and look to have just adjusted their protection in order to account for a possible blitzing Smith...

bGGFC9j.jpg

0tDdRQ.gif

With the supposed protection adjustment, the Vikings now think they can sneak attack a blitz from the other direction. At the snap, Smith bails back into Coverage while the slot corner blitzes into the now “weakened” side of the offensive line.

IiepEWZ.jpg

But the Oline adjustment was all just an act. The Bears coaxed the Vikings into making this move, and had a play designed to go right into the vacated area following the slot blitz...

DrrSGb.gif

It’s 3rd down and 7, and the Vikings line 7 defenders up directly on the LOS. The Bears only have 6 potential blockers...

rVpCZuO.jpg

581nvM1.jpg

Trubisky decides to change the original play call, motioning the kill signal with his hands across his chest to his recievers...

o5RUaNM.jpg

PC60qk.gif

Trubisky makes Wims the hot read. If the blitz comes at Trubisky, Wims has to read it and shorten his route accordingly so that Trubisky has a viable option to get rid of the ball quickly. Wims identifies the blitz and turns his head toward the QB 6 yards into his route...

65h2pL.gif

GrxGdh.gif

AWARENESS AND SAVVY

This play looks like a really bad pass by Trubisky...

3zRIbU.gif

But within the confines of the play design, it’s a real savvy move by Trubisky. Another 3 step drop, so the ball has to come out. But Trubisky recognizes that there is no play on this route as being run. There is a linebacker in the zone where the ball needs to go to Bellamy...

egw7pzj.jpg

But instead of just throwing it away, Trubisky instead fires it into the only open window available, the pivot area where the route breaks inside.

PxtObEs.jpg

What Trubisky hopes to happen here is Bellamy identifying the coverage and reading that he’s running right into a dead end, and instead stopping his route short in the open zone. This does not happen, It’s Bellamy after all, but it was worth a try...

IRgTc8.gif

Trubisky’s pressure awareness and avoidance gets better by the week...

G-tO7f.gif

Last edited:
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Another nice breakdown of the plays... Always enjoy your film reviews... This kind of content is why I visit CCS. Thanks!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
awesome breakdown. I've been saying Mitch's accuracy problems may well be him thinking too much about his mechanics than anything else. When just throwing on instinct from odd angles etc, he can be a sharpshooter. You never know for sure about that aspect but i suspect he gets an equilibrium next year. For now, I just hope he doesn't sail one at the wrong time and place.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great post as always. Thanks for putting in real effort.

I loved the 2nd play where Bellamy blocked two guys...lol.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Perhaps Trubisky will end up a faster, younger Alex Smith, but he certainly isn't a bust. Thanks for the review.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Excellent work.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
:clap:

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Thanks again Adipost. Happy new year to you and yours.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I can’t wait for the post Super Bowl breakdown of a huge Bear win.

Nice job as always...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Perhaps Trubisky will end up a faster, younger Alex Smith, but he certainly isn't a bust. Thanks for the review.

He already has much better pocket awareness. I have never seen a QB progress with that as much as Mitch has done since the start of this year. From looking nervous to calm avoidance and making teams pay. easy to see what those without patience didn't like. Nice to see that most have come around as he's been progressing.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Still think that the throw down the middle to bellamy was a very poor decision. yea if bellamy stops in the zone it is a great throw/completion, but he essentially threw it between 4 defenders. If the throw is off by a little its a pick.

Also, looks like if bellamy hadn't gotten a hand on it the pass could have sailed enough to allow the defender behind him(#26)Trae Waynes to make a play.

Hi everybody

Liked Posts:
On that first passing play of the game when Trubisky briefly looks towards an open streaking Shaheen he also freezes the deep safety and effectively is looking off the deep safety and the linebacker which opens up the pass to Burton.

If Trubisky did want to throw to Shaheen he would have had to put some air under the pass to get it over the linebacker because of the direction that Shaheen was running. If Trubisky had put that air under that pass I think the deep safety could have closed on it. To my eyes, it looks like Trubisky expertly manipulated the defense here to complete a much more direct 1st down pass up the field

Thanks to Adipost for these beautiful breakdowns.

Hi everybody

Liked Posts:
Adipost should be a paid staffer so that he can contribute his breakdowns more often.

Hi everybody

Liked Posts:
Also, I'm getting super pumped about Shaheen being back in the mix. He's been extremely physical these last few games and is part of the recent success in our run game. Add to that his ability to dominate his space and be a huge threat in the intermediary passing game. I'm looking for a huge game from him Sunday

Midway Monsters

Liked Posts:
Wow great breakdown! I can see why he threw it behind Bellamy there, it could’ve been picked off by the linebacker if he led him. On the missed Shaheen TD I don’t think he was that open either. The linebacker would’ve had a chance at it.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How did you not highlight the biggest mind game of week 17? The 43 yard catch to Allen Robinson.

Last edited:

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That was versus 9ers. Gabriel had this weeks.

Fuck me. I have finally reached the point in the football year where my brain can't separate plays from week to week. Thanks for the clarification. Apologies Adi.