WEEK 3 RE-WATCH: A Battle of Teams With Great D and Bad O; CHI Turned the Ball Over Less for the Boring W

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
What? You were there? Ok ...I am not sure what authority that grants you more than anyone else who can also watch it.

I watched it and I will tell you the defense had massive mistakes early but fixed it and demolished the Cardinals 3 out of 4 quarters (the 1st notwithstanding). Defense let him down? Defense won the fricking game.

If it was not for great plays, pressure, forcing INTs then any average offense could have merely picked up enough first downs and eaten clock to win ugly.

Trubisky was trash the first 3 weeks. For 9 drives, he had "scripts" ie what announcers call the plays Nagy designs that Mitch can do well because his first read is open and he knows the timing and where to go beforehand.

That is 9 drives out of 43 offensive possessions in the first 3 weeks where Mitch did not completely suck. All Bears offensive scores came in these drives but not all of these led to scores. The scoring was drying up by Week 3 due to the fact that DCs were onto the fact that a blitz will stop Trubisky cold because he had no checks or audibles and he was not progressing through reads yet at all. His awareness of blitzers and where he should attack pre-snap seemed utterly clueless.

"Play well around here"? Calling him trash in the first 3 weeks did not "play" well around here. It was dark times.

Now as to the whole year, if I remember right, he played like garbage first 3 weeks, tore it up in a few games over the next quarter season with some pedestrian efforts in-between and then after the injury and his Rams game,

he then settled into a decent run of solid play for 3 games in a row clinching the NFC North in there and bouncing the Vikings.

If that translates to a "pretty damn good year" for you, that's cool. I saw it as squarely 20's in QB ranking with obvious potential for better after a full year in this system.

I missed the part where I said being there granted me any special authority. As for the "dark times" that is just dramatic bullshit. I can give you a laundry list of players that are now considered great that would have killed to have the year Mitch had in 2018 early in their careers especially year one in a system.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's not well respected for his ability to actually play. The guy is a pro and he's like having another coach around. He's barely done anything on the field.

Still, for all the points I brought up. Also, you bring in a backup QB because he may have to play. Nagy worked with him in KC. Daniel wasn't there to mentor Smith. He was respected enough to be the main backup before Mahomes was there.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I remember thinking that we would need to start looking for another QB....he looked like Grossman after he started hearing footsteps that were not there...

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The 2nd Bradford TD was a backside wheel route. It’s an ideal play call against a single high safety man to man defense because you often get your running back 1 on 1 against a linebacker. The play is made to look like the RB is running to the flat on a checkdown type route, and once the LB commits a move toward the sideline the RB turns upfield.

Nagy called a similar play in the season opener...

KhHoGi.gif

With the Arizona TD, Trevathan obviously reads this play as a flat route. So much so that he tries to jump the route immediately off the snap, as you can see by his aggressive move toward the sideline. The RB sees this and realizes he doesn’t even have to make a move toward the sideline before turning upfield because Trevathan is already grossly out of position. So he just runs by him. Bad play by the LB...

xV6alR.gif

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I remember thinking that we would need to start looking for another QB....he looked like Grossman after he started hearing footsteps that were not there...
How that went from happy feet to intuitive avoidance from game 4 to 5 was remarkable. I still wonder if he was trying too hard to keep his feet moving and coaches finally telling him to just play was part of that. I've never seen that corrected that quickly before.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Still, for all the points I brought up. Also, you bring in a backup QB because he may have to play. Nagy worked with him in KC. Daniel wasn't there to mentor Smith. He was respected enough to be the main backup before Mahomes was there.
And he should have been able to run this O. Thing is, the interior OL was exposed without Mitch's scrambling. His #s weren't bad but he took 9 sacks in 2 games without holding the ball too long. That's a rate that would beat the top sack team's year by 20 and more than double the league average. Mitch averaged well under 2 per game and closer to 1 per game after his 1st few last year. If we need Chase to play again this year, it should go better with a healthy Long and more experienced Daniels hiking spirals.

I've been pointing out how poor the interior line was for a while and how Mitch helped even though the stats couldn't prove it. Here you go.

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
And he should have been able to run this O. Thing is, the interior OL was exposed without Mitch's scrambling. His #s weren't bad but he took 9 sacks in 2 games without holding the ball too long. Mitch averaged well under 2 per game and closer to 1 per game after his 1st few last year. If we need Chase to play again this year, it should go better with a healthy Long and more experienced Daniels hiking spirals.

I think Trubisky’s ability to scramble made the oline seem better than it was. In reality I think our pass blocking was average at best.

Our offense would be significantly worse without his ability to move.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I suspect you meant would have been and we don't need that modifier for this season. Could get really fun this year.
Our Ts played well overall but their stats always look better when your G play sucks. Mitch kept lots more drives alive with his scrambling than he killed with errant throws.

Last edited:

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Dude ya just gotta love this!

Eddie Jackson is my favorite current Bear. As great as Mack is, and for all the hope I have in Trubisky, my inner meatball just gets razzed up for playmaking safeties.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I missed the part where I said being there granted me any special authority. As for the "dark times" that is just dramatic bullshit. I can give you a laundry list of players that are now considered great that would have killed to have the year Mitch had in 2018 early in their careers especially year one in a system.

That literally means nothing though. I know he gets better last year after this point but it doesn't stop the times being dark though. You seem confident the worst is behind us and he becomes elite from here. If he does I will be happy ... but these weeks were still trash and these times were still dark.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
That literally means nothing though. I know he gets better last year after this point but it doesn't stop the times being dark though. You seem confident the worst is behind us and he becomes elite from here. If he does I will be happy ... but these weeks were still trash and these times were still dark.

The Bears were 2-1 and the offense was adapting to a new system and they were far from perfect. However, Trubisky did lead a 4th quarter drive that burned over six minutes off the clock that ended in a field goal that gave the Bears a six point lead with just over two minutes left in the only game they lost of those three. The defense then folded like a deck chair. That was a tough loss to swallow but being 2-1 and understanding the context hardly made for “dark times.”

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
The Bears were 2-1 and the offense was adapting to a new system and they were far from perfect. However, Trubisky did lead a 4th quarter drive that burned over six minutes off the clock that ended in a field goal that gave the Bears a six point lead with just over two minutes left in the only game they lost of those three. The defense then folded like a deck chair. That was a tough loss to swallow but being 2-1 and understanding the context hardly made for “dark times.”

Completely disagree. 2 - 1 was fine enough but he looked so bad that the concern was palpable for me in every way.

Your mileage obviously varies.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
With the Arizona TD, Trevathan obviously reads this play as a flat route. So much so that he tries to jump the route immediately off the snap, as you can see by his aggressive move toward the sideline. The RB sees this and realizes he doesn’t even have to make a move toward the sideline before turning upfield because Trevathan is already grossly out of position. So he just runs by him. Bad play by the LB...

Trevathan in pass coverage...not a strength.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Completely disagree. 2 - 1 was fine enough but he looked so bad that the concern was palpable for me in every way.

Your mileage obviously varies.

I was concerned after 3 games.

I have also never really been through the development process for a high pick QB. A little with Rexy, but I was off the Rexy train pretty early.

Side note, Eddie Jackson is the best safety in the NFL.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was concerned after 3 games.

I have also never really been through the development process for a high pick QB. A little with Rexy, but I was off the Rexy train pretty early.

Side note, Eddie Jackson is the best safety in the NFL.
Patience is a virtue when it comes to young QBs. We had some speaking in absolute bust terms by this time and so committed that they could no longer jump ships. Preferring to be correct at the expense of the Bear.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Patience is a virtue when it comes to young QBs. We had some speaking in absolute bust terms by this time and so committed that they could no longer jump ships. Preferring to be correct at the expense of the Bear.

"The customer always comes first"...famous saying, attributed to SilenceS.