Week 6 RE-WATCH: OT Heartbreak After Two Teams Finished Trying to Give the Other the W

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
CHI (3-1) at MIA (3-2)

After Week 4's thrashing of TB, the Bears had a bye in Week 5. During the re-watch I reflected on two things:

1) This loss hurt bad. It would be the one loss I felt the most until the debacle in NY.
2) Trubisky had all day vs. TB as they rarely blitzed and generated zero rush on the QB. When SEA and ARZ had generated solid pressure on Trubisky, he played poorly (SEA second half blitz packages and ARZ basically all game long). What would happen if and when MIA gets their pass rush going?

FIRST QUARTER SUMMARY:

CHI won the toss and deferred. The first drive MIA punts after a first down and pins the Bears offense deep. I guess Trubisky felt uncomfortable and on 3rd down overthrew a wide open Miller for a huge chunk gain that might've even been a TD. Goddamn Nagy calls great plays that exploit space and Miller has elite moves to set up defenders allowing himself space. I tend to stay away from discussions about which Bear is most poised to break out but Miller's tape is making me a believer in him and crossing fingers even tighter on Trubisky. MIA's second drive is the TD set up by Floyd's body slam penalty. Not to excuse Floyd but goddamn these refs were slow AF to blow the whistle all damn day long. Next drive for the Bears and they are methodical again as they have been in every first quarter of every game. On MIA 42 and it's 4th-and-1 and Nagy goes for it. CHI comes out with trips to the left and MIA has the formation matched up. Mitch stomps his foot and Gabriel motions to the right side. NO Dolphin follows him. There are now two blockers for three defenders to the right side. Mitch snaps and pitches to Cohen to the left on a sweep run. MIA stuffs him. Bad reading of the defense by Mitch. I presume Nagy talked it over with him on the sideline.

SECOND QUARTER SUMMARY:

From 15:00 to the two-minute warning, CHI outplayed MIA gaining 6 first downs to MIA only gaining 1. The 47-yard bomb to Gabriel was beautiful and was ultimately ruined by Howard's fumble at the 1-yard line when trying to tie the game up. After receiving the ball in a 2-minute drill, Osweiler looked better (as most vets will) before throwing that godawful duck right to Fuller for the INT. The INT to Fuller came after a TO to save clock. It is interesting to me that so far this year, no huddle attacks run by GB and SEA have gotten the best production vs. the Bears defense. I suppose that is all well and good as well since I believe few offense can really maintain that level of attack all game.

HALFTIME ADJUSTMENTS:
MIA is up 7-0 and the Bears must be frustrated. They need to relax and play their game. MIA has blitzed and sacked Trubisky twice but Trubisky has looked better with rushers coming then he did in the first 3 weeks (TB had no rush lol). I think it's interesting that the announcers praised Matt Birk MIA DC for having a good gameplan and not getting beat deep when Trubisky had beaten them deep twice and missed wide open guys deep twice. Also hilarious was when they praised Adam Gase for a brilliant strategy of putting a TE or RB on Mack's side and chipping him as if Gase masterfully engineered Mack's disappearance and not the fact Mack was limping and had to tape his ankle up so much it looked like a cast. No, it was Gase's ingenuity. Why hadn't other coaches had that foresight? lol

THIRD QUARTER SUMMARY:

Bears dominated the 3rd quarter in every way. Down 0 - 7, Trubisky comes out throwing all over the damn field: deep to Gabriel again, medium range to Burton, nice in route hookup with Burton for the TD. 7-7 and Fuller baits Brock to throw the "open" curl and almost takes the INT to the house, but Trubisky hits ARob quick for the score that finishes that play for Fuller. Another 3-and-out for MIA and then another TD drive for CHI: 21-6 over MIA in the 3rd quarter. With so many drives ending in scores, you can already see both defenses are not looking good at all. Now about the FG drive towards the end of the 3rd for MIA. There was an incomplete pass where Floyd got called for roughing the passer and it was a bad call. No other way around it. They did the replay a few times just to check if Floyd even grazed Osweiler when his arm came down as he was going for a blocked pass.

FOURTH QUARTER/OT SUMMARY:

Leading 21-13 going into the 4th, CHI should have had this game. The MIA defense holds on CHI and MIA ends up scoring on one of Wilson's big catch-and-runs with a 2 point conversion to tie the game at 21. Even if the heat dictates that it turns into a shootout from here, the Bears should have the momentum given their lead into the last frame. And again Trubisky and the offense still look sharp going all the way down to the goalline for a go-ahead TD. Trubisky hits Cohen for the TD but ... OPI on Burton. The officiating was bad this game. Floyd's roughing call on MIA's 3rd quarter FG drive was horseshit. Burton's OPI was real. He leans his shoulder in a blocking motion and it makes me so mad because he didn't even have to. Cohen had the TD anyway.

Which leads up to the dagger of an INT. He sees Braunecker going straight in and wants to hit him inside of his route. He has to see the safety there right? Braunecker is running right to where the safety is currently means you have to look the safety off but he doesn't. I think Mitch thought there was a window between the safety and Braunecker he could fit it in but he was dead wrong. There was zero window there and it looks as awful as it was. Bad read.

When the game got to OT, and MIA won and was driving, I knew we were going to lose. Mack was at 5% of what he is due to the ankle and every defender is gassed ... and the the fumble! Amazing stroke of luck because MIA D is gassed too! But then Nagy goes really conservative when in FG range. I know people defend him and say Howard busted big runs to get them in FG range and they aren't wrong. But Nagy has so many money medium range pass calls and Howard has been iffy, that it still seems way too cowardly to run and position the ball for Parkey.

"Oh well," I think to myself. "Maybe this ends up a good thing. Maybe Nagy learned from this loss so that no other loss like it will happen again especailly if we make the playoffs." Thing is: Nagy DID try endzone shots vs. PHI before calling Parkey but they weren't well designed or executed. What makes me nervous now going forward is Nagy seems to believe he NEEDS a kicker he can trust in, and the culture seems to be set up so that everyone is all hoping it doesn't come down to the kicker whatever his name. I don't even know if that is good or bad or neither for the team, but it feels unprecednted in the history of my following NFL teams in their offseasons.

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
My biggest takeaway from this game in regards to the 2019 season is how mediocre the defense looked when Mack wasn't operating at maximum efficiency. Osweiler threw for 380 yards and 3 TDs...he started 4 other games and threw 2 TDs total and typically had about 200 yards passing. The Bears have other seemingly very good players on defense other than Mack, so it was/is strange that no one else really stepped up and replaced Mack's contribution.

It makes me leery of injury and/or Pagano for 2019...perhaps the Bears defense isn't simply a plug-and-play operation.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
My biggest takeaway from this game in regards to the 2019 season is how mediocre the defense looked when Mack wasn't operating at maximum efficiency. Osweiler threw for 380 yards and 3 TDs...he started 4 other games and threw 2 TDs total and typically had about 200 yards passing. The Bears have other seemingly very good players on defense other than Mack, so it was/is strange that no one else really stepped up and replaced Mack's contribution.

It makes me leery of injury and/or Pagano for 2019...perhaps the Bears defense isn't simply a plug-and-play operation.

there were quite a few missed tackles. I remember Amos and a couple LBers missing a few assignments that allowed big plays.

Even with Mack not being 100% Mack a few players missed some really open guys.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They also looked gassed late.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
But.....but.......but Mitch had a 122 passer rating.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
CHI (3-1) at MIA (3-2)

After Week 4's thrashing of TB, the Bears had a bye in Week 5. During the re-watch I reflected on two things:

1) This loss hurt bad. It would be the one loss I felt the most until the debacle in NY.
2) Trubisky had all day vs. TB as they rarely blitzed and generated zero rush on the QB. When SEA and ARZ had generated solid pressure on Trubisky, he played poorly (SEA second half blitz packages and ARZ basically all game long). What would happen if and when MIA gets their pass rush going?

FIRST QUARTER SUMMARY:

CHI won the toss and deferred. The first drive MIA punts after a first down and pins the Bears offense deep. I guess Trubisky felt uncomfortable and on 3rd down overthrew a wide open Miller for a huge chunk gain that might've even been a TD. Goddamn Nagy calls great plays that exploit space and Miller has elite moves to set up defenders allowing himself space. I tend to stay away from discussions about which Bear is most poised to break out but Miller's tape is making me a believer in him and crossing fingers even tighter on Trubisky. MIA's second drive is the TD set up by Floyd's body slam penalty. Not to excuse Floyd but goddamn these refs were slow AF to blow the whistle all damn day long. Next drive for the Bears and they are methodical again as they have been in every first quarter of every game. On MIA 42 and it's 4th-and-1 and Nagy goes for it. CHI comes out with trips to the left and MIA has the formation matched up. Mitch stomps his foot and Gabriel motions to the right side. NO Dolphin follows him. There are now two blockers for three defenders to the right side. Mitch snaps and pitches to Cohen to the left on a sweep run. MIA stuffs him. Bad reading of the defense by Mitch. I presume Nagy talked it over with him on the sideline.

SECOND QUARTER SUMMARY:

From 15:00 to the two-minute warning, CHI outplayed MIA gaining 6 first downs to MIA only gaining 1. The 47-yard bomb to Gabriel was beautiful and was ultimately ruined by Howard's fumble at the 1-yard line when trying to tie the game up. After receiving the ball in a 2-minute drill, Osweiler looked better (as most vets will) before throwing that godawful duck right to Fuller for the INT. The INT to Fuller came after a TO to save clock. It is interesting to me that so far this year, no huddle attacks run by GB and SEA have gotten the best production vs. the Bears defense. I suppose that is all well and good as well since I believe few offense can really maintain that level of attack all game.

HALFTIME ADJUSTMENTS:
MIA is up 7-0 and the Bears must be frustrated. They need to relax and play their game. MIA has blitzed and sacked Trubisky twice but Trubisky has looked better with rushers coming then he did in the first 3 weeks (TB had no rush lol). I think it's interesting that the announcers praised Matt Birk MIA DC for having a good gameplan and not getting beat deep when Trubisky had beaten them deep twice and missed wide open guys deep twice. Also hilarious was when they praised Adam Gase for a brilliant strategy of putting a TE or RB on Mack's side and chipping him as if Gase masterfully engineered Mack's disappearance and not the fact Mack was limping and had to tape his ankle up so much it looked like a cast. No, it was Gase's ingenuity. Why hadn't other coaches had that foresight? lol

THIRD QUARTER SUMMARY:

Bears dominated the 3rd quarter in every way. Down 0 - 7, Trubisky comes out throwing all over the damn field: deep to Gabriel again, medium range to Burton, nice in route hookup with Burton for the TD. 7-7 and Fuller baits Brock to throw the "open" curl and almost takes the INT to the house, but Trubisky hits ARob quick for the score that finishes that play for Fuller. Another 3-and-out for MIA and then another TD drive for CHI: 21-6 over MIA in the 3rd quarter. With so many drives ending in scores, you can already see both defenses are not looking good at all. Now about the FG drive towards the end of the 3rd for MIA. There was an incomplete pass where Floyd got called for roughing the passer and it was a bad call. No other way around it. They did the replay a few times just to check if Floyd even grazed Osweiler when his arm came down as he was going for a blocked pass.

FOURTH QUARTER/OT SUMMARY:

Leading 21-13 going into the 4th, CHI should have had this game. The MIA defense holds on CHI and MIA ends up scoring on one of Wilson's big catch-and-runs with a 2 point conversion to tie the game at 21. Even if the heat dictates that it turns into a shootout from here, the Bears should have the momentum given their lead into the last frame. And again Trubisky and the offense still look sharp going all the way down to the goalline for a go-ahead TD. Trubisky hits Cohen for the TD but ... OPI on Burton. The officiating was bad this game. Floyd's roughing call on MIA's 3rd quarter FG drive was horseshit. Burton's OPI was real. He leans his shoulder in a blocking motion and it makes me so mad because he didn't even have to. Cohen had the TD anyway.

Which leads up to the dagger of an INT. He sees Braunecker going straight in and wants to hit him inside of his route. He has to see the safety there right? Braunecker is running right to where the safety is currently means you have to look the safety off but he doesn't. I think Mitch thought there was a window between the safety and Braunecker he could fit it in but he was dead wrong. There was zero window there and it looks as awful as it was. Bad read.

When the game got to OT, and MIA won and was driving, I knew we were going to lose. Mack was at 5% of what he is due to the ankle and every defender is gassed ... and the the fumble! Amazing stroke of luck because MIA D is gassed too! But then Nagy goes really conservative when in FG range. I know people defend him and say Howard busted big runs to get them in FG range and they aren't wrong. But Nagy has so many money medium range pass calls and Howard has been iffy, that it still seems way too cowardly to run and position the ball for Parkey.

"Oh well," I think to myself. "Maybe this ends up a good thing. Maybe Nagy learned from this loss so that no other loss like it will happen again especailly if we make the playoffs." Thing is: Nagy DID try endzone shots vs. PHI before calling Parkey but they weren't well designed or executed. What makes me nervous now going forward is Nagy seems to believe he NEEDS a kicker he can trust in, and the culture seems to be set up so that everyone is all hoping it doesn't come down to the kicker whatever his name. I don't even know if that is good or bad or neither for the team, but it feels unprecednted in the history of my following NFL teams in their offseasons.
Awesome analysis

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
9/10 we dominate that team. Uncharacteristic from start to finish for the team, they got some fortunate breaks with the humidity and the Bears were flat tired. Albert Wilson taking screens 50+ would never happen again.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Ahhh, victim of the ol' "Dolphin weather."

That was the prominent post game excuse anyway.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Solid example of why, if Floyd doesn't step up, we should start looking for a replacement in the draft.

Stupid penalty sets up a Dolphins TD because the guy can't even get the fundamentals of tackling right.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stupid penalty sets up a Dolphins TD because the guy can't even get the fundamentals of tackling right.

there were quite a few missed tackles. I remember Amos and a couple LBers missing a few assignments that allowed big plays.

Even with Mack not being 100% Mack a few players missed some really open guys.

Yep. Missed open field tackles when defenders came flying in foo fast trying for the big hit. Same shit killed them for chunk plays vs. NE and NYG. You'd think they'd have learned that from GB's comeback do to same short plays turned huge...pitch & catch, slant routes, for 5 yards going for 70+ TDs. Sickening given such a great D otherwise.

That and the letting off the gas at end of 2nd and all of 4th quarters last season. These 2 issues got better late in the year, so let's hope Nagy figured this out. Honestly the only 2 major faults/weaknesses (beyond needing at least an average kicker).

--------------

I was at this game and the temp diff in shade vs. sun was astonishing. A real shit move for MIA to do to opponents. One that'll only help in cloud-free day games early in the year, but this was one of em, if not the hottest. Unfortunate scheduling for CHI. No excuse but it absolutely WAS a factor. Those dudes were gassed & it showed.

Still an exciting ass game. Two goal line fumbles was insane. Any one of a half dozen plays made & Bears win this one. Same goes for a few of their losses. Expect better to come.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ahhh, victim of the ol' "Dolphin weather."

That was the prominent post game excuse anyway.
Looking gassed is not an excuse, just an observation. They should never look like that unless time of possession is drastically lopsided.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Pass rush definitely disappeared. The defense was doing well bending but not breaking in the 2nd and 3rd quarters allowing only two FGs during that time and were helped out by really good production by the offense during that time. Even though the offense scored zero during the 2nd, they outgained MIA and owned TOP during that time. 4th quarter and the defense was plain done, gassed. Like @Bearly said that's not an excuse, merely an observation of what seems true.

So let's say Mack gets hurt. With Fangio we would still be kind of ok with his style of playcalling coinciding with a functional offense in my mind. With Pagano, I have no idea what to expect if Mack gets injured. It is already very clear to me that the Bears MVP of 2018 is Khalil Mack imo

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
But.....but.......but Mitch had a 122 passer rating.

True, and he is in no way the primary cause of our loss. His early overthrows hurt and his INT in the 4th killed. But imo Nagy unfairly took the game away from Trubisky in the OT session. I fully expected Trubisky to lead the game-winning drive when MIA astonishingly fumbled after winning the coin toss. Their defense was just as bad as oursat that point and Nagy lost nerve and called runs on 2nd and 3rd down to put the game on the kicker rather than the QB.

Nagy deserves a lot of credit for good things in CHI but his handling of OT in MIA is an instance where he deserves a lot of blame.