Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The ‘open competition’ for the Bears kicker resumes at training camp: 'Those guys are going to battle it out’

Rich Campbell

5-6 minutes

For the last five weeks, the uprights of Chicagoland relished their safety. The skies were free of footballs. The bombardment stopped. The echoes of doinks reverberated to their silent conclusions, replaced by the tranquil sounds of the NFL’s annual summer break.

This week, though, the blitzkrieg is set to resume. Bears rookies report to training camp Monday at Olivet Nazarene University in Bourbonnais. Veterans report Thursday, at which time the kicking competition to end all kicking competitions will continue.

The search commenced six months ago — or was it September 2016 when the Bears cut Robbie Gould? Either way, the Bears aren’t close to a solution. At least not as far as general manager Ryan Pace sees it.

Since the Bears decided to cut Cody Parkey days after his double-doink miss ended the Bears’ promising 2018 turnaround, they have evaluated more than a dozen potential replacements.

Nothing that will help Bears fans sleep better this summer. But Eddy Pineiro and Elliott Fry are set to compete for the opportunity to attempt their first regular-season kicks.

“We’re excited about the two young guys we have,” Pace said Sunday. “It’s still open for competition. Those guys are going to battle it out. Obviously, we’re scouring the waiver wire as we go forward. And it’s kind of open competition as we go forward.”

So, for those who tuned out the spring kicking bonanza at Halas Hall, the Bears’ 10-week offseason program helped them cross players off their list. But it didn’t produce an answer to the biggest question dogging a team that otherwise assembles with legitimate Super Bowl aspirations.

Not that Pace was fazed Sunday. The fifth-year GM exuded a level of optimism standard for start-of-camp news conferences. The Bears, Pace said, are determined to develop the pair of inexperienced kicking prospects alongside the rest of a young, talented team.

“You can point to a lot of guys around the league that have kickers in successful situations that have come a number of ways, and some of them are this way,” he said. “Ideally for our franchise, we hit on a young kicker long term. And we’ll march forward this way.”

It’s an understandable (and inexpensive) approach, even if doesn’t exactly reduce anyone’s anxiety level.

The Bears did, at least, hire kicking consultant Jamie Kohl to help sharpen the kickers’ techniques. There’s a dedicated, ongoing effort to rein in Pineiro’s strong leg and add power to Fry’s consistent swing.

So how does Pace handicap this race? Before coach Matt Nagy taps his creative juices to test Pinerio and Fry in front of crowds at Olivet Nazarene, who begins camp with the lead?

“To be honest, it’s even,” Pace said. “It’s close. That’s why we’re excited.”

Fans in Bourbonnais, though, will be forgiven for not feeling the juice. The Bears have two kickers, which means they have none.

Pineiro and Fry simply represent a baseline. And if the Bears believe there’s a better option out there, they’ll pivot that direction.

In other words, this battle won’t be won until the Bears send a kicker onto the field Sept. 5 against the Packers. And even then, the guy better make his kick.

For now, Pineiro and Fry will try to overcome the standard of inconsistency they established during spring practices. Either one will separate himself during preseason games or the Bears will pluck one from another team when cuts begin in late August.

Nagy has promised to throw the gauntlet at them during practice. From using “Augusta silence” to test their focus this spring to his vow to include media members in the fun this summer, Nagy has a plan.

There won’t be any third-down field-goal attempts in preseason games, but he knows the Bears need to evaluate Pineiro and Fry under the lights.

“There may be some questionable play-calls in the preseason,” he said with a smile.

Everything this summer, then, is a means to an end. Maybe the competition will become an afterthought by January, but, at the dawn of camp, it’s on center stage indefinitely.

Rich Campbell

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Bears Kickers = ?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It's only center stage because idiots like Campbell keep trying to keep it there...
Your entire posting career is being critical of other's content, but u offer nothing else of substance or actionable alternatives for discussion. What do YOU think should be center stage?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
It's only center stage because idiots like Campbell keep trying to keep it there...

Or could it be because Pace has hosed the job on kickers since releasing Gould? The media would have nothing to talk about if the position was filled with a competent kicker.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Shit now Patrick Finley is center staging it. And apparently Pace and McCaskey can't stop droning on about it.

Bears will enter camp with kicker questions, say they’re ‘working on it’

Patrick Finley

4-5 minutes

DECATUR — Chairman George McCaskey hasn’t been able to escape the Bears’ kicker question for the last six months.
‘‘Every conversation with a fan this entire offseason has concluded with some sort comment about that,’’ McCaskey said Sunday.
And what in the world does he tell the fans?
‘‘ ‘Thanks for the reminder,’ ’’ he said with a smile. ‘‘And, ‘We’re working on it.’ ’’
That’s the most polite way to frame where the Bears will stand at the start of training camp Thursday, exactly 200 days after Cody Parkey double-doinked a game-winning field-goal attempt in the playoffs against the Eagles.
They have Eddy Pineiro and Elliott Fry — combined NFL experience: zero regular-season games — but no answers.
The Bears don’t even have a leader among the two as they head to Bourbonnais. Rookies and quarterbacks report to Olivet Nazarene University on Monday, and the full roster arrives Thursday.
‘‘To be honest, it’s even,’’ general manager Ryan Pace said. ‘‘It’s close. That’s why we’re excited about that battle going into training camp, along with a lot of other battles. But, obviously, we’ll be watching that one.’’
And every other battle around the league. Ten other NFL teams will bring two kickers to camp, and the Bears have college and pro grades on each one. The Bears’ next kicker might be the best one cut two days after the final preseason game.
‘‘Obviously, we’re scouring the waiver wire as we go forward,’’ Pace said. ‘‘And it’s kind of open competition as we go forward. . . .
‘‘We’re watching all the teams, all the competitive situations around the league. One of them will be kicker. We’re just watching that progress as we go forward. We know right now where we stand, where some of those battles are occurring. We’re watching those. And I’m sure there will be ones that will pop up that might surprise us.’’
Whither Robbie Gould? On Sunday, he threw out a ceremonial first pitch and sang ‘‘Take Me Out to the Ball Game’’ at the Padres-Cubs game at Wrigley Field.
Gould, who wore a Cubs jersey with his name and number on the back, is beloved by Bears fans and a full-fledged Chicago celebrity. But he’s not a Bear and won’t be for at least the next two years. Last week, he signed a four-year contract — including a two-year option — that guarantees him $10.5 million the first two seasons to return to the 49ers.
Could the Bears, who owe $4.06 million in dead salary-cap money this season after cutting Parkey in March, have afforded such a contract?
‘‘That’s hypothetical,’’ Pace said, not answering the question.
He didn’t rule out trading a draft pick for a proven kicker.
‘‘I think everything’s on the table to make sure that we get that right,’’ Pace said.
If that was the Bears’ preferred route, however, they likely would have done so already.
Pace, who cut a struggling Gould on the eve of the 2016 season, evaluated the kickers who remain on his roster.
‘‘Eddy’s got real natural leg talents,’’ Pace said. ‘‘He’s got a strong leg. It’s just developing consistency as he goes forward. He’s a young kicker.
‘‘Elliott [is] a little different. Elliott’s got a pretty consistent stroke. As he gets stronger — you know he had a year away from football — we anticipate some of that leg strength improving, as well.”
After an offseason in which they couldn’t find a sure solution to their kicking problem, the Bears hope they develop one during camp.
‘‘We’re happy with our offseason,’’ Pace said. ‘‘We’re happy with our free agency and with our draft. Our goal now is to develop these young guys. You can point to a lot of [teams] around the league that have kickers in successful situations that have come a number of ways. And some of them are this way.
‘‘Ideally, for our franchise, we hit on a young kicker long-term. And we’ll march forward this way.’’

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

Your postings are consistently terrible, but I feel (strangely) compelled to respond. I think the media tries to build up the whole "Gould has been great since leaving the Bears" angle, but I think that is a false narrative.

The Bears were in the middle of a rebuild (or, in Pace's timeline, "starting to rebuild"), and they didn't feel the need to pay their kicker 8 figures. I didn't necessarily agree with the Bears getting rid of Gould since he was a proven commodity, but on some level it made sense.

The real issue is how poorly Pace has done in finding a kicker. They've all sucked. Like "worst in the NFL" sucked. If any of Pace's kickers had done even an average job, the fact that Gould was let go would be a non-issue, IMO.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Your postings are consistently terrible, but I feel (strangely) compelled to respond. I think the media tries to build up the whole "Gould has been great since leaving the Bears" angle, but I think that is a false narrative.

The Bears were in the middle of a rebuild (or, in Pace's timeline, "starting to rebuild"), and they didn't feel the need to pay their kicker 8 figures. I didn't necessarily agree with the Bears getting rid of Gould since he was a proven commodity, but on some level it made sense.

The real issue is how poorly Pace has done in finding a kicker. They've all sucked. Like "worst in the NFL" sucked. If any of Pace's kickers had done even an average job, the fact that Gould was let go would be a non-issue, IMO.
Why put so much effort into replying to @Visionman when he has already run away? Between putting 90% of ccs on ignore and running away from the remaining 9% it will be like winning the lottery if he actually reads and responds to you...

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Why put so much effort into replying to @Visionman when he has already run away? Between putting 90% of ccs on ignore and running away from the remaining 9% it will be like winning the lottery if he actually reads and responds to you...

I've been sitting on a bombshell regarding Visionman's "true identity"...stay tuned for really great news!!

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

30, 35,28,19,31,12,19 Those are the Bears Kickers fg% rank the last 7 seasons from 2018-2012. The last 4 #'s are Gould. So those prattling on about "Gould being great since leaving the Bears" are ignoring Gould being well below average in the 4 seasons leading up to his departure. Pace has led the Bears to a heightened level of kicking futility, but those suggesting they would have or the Bears should have invested serious money into an aging, below average kicker with a penchant for saying the wrong thing because the foresaw a late career resurgence leading to his best seasons ever are full of...well...you know.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The real kicking issue is why nobody ever misses a FG against the Bears. Like, ever.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
The real kicking issue is why nobody ever misses a FG against the Bears. Like, ever.

Because in addition to not sacking the QB with his "wingspan" and "waist bend", Leonard Floyd can also not block FGs/XPs.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

It isn't always about the guys you get rid...its about what you do to improve the position...

Time and again Pace has been criticized for releasing guy or not signing our players. Marshall, Forte, Jeffery, Gould.

It isn't about hanging on to those guys, it is about what you do to replace and improve.

Obviously we have stopped talking about those other positions. Kickers has yet to be fixed.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Because in addition to not sacking the QB with his "wingspan" and "waist bend", Leonard Floyd can also not block FGs/XPs.

They don't even hit it wide. When someone ends the half with the ball against the Bears and they line up for a 57 yarder, you know it's good.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

You are right, Bears have only had two kicks miss from opponents last year, if you include the playoff game.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
They don't even hit it wide. When someone ends the half with the ball against the Bears and they line up for a 57 yarder, you know it's good.

In today's NFL, kickers don't hit it wide. Only Bears kickers do. Kind of like when Cutler would complete 60% of his passes, Bears fans would praise him as if that was some sort of achievement.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You are right, Bears have only had two kicks miss from opponents last year, if you include the playoff game.

I've been noticing this for years. Feels like they never miss. Especially long ones at the end of the half. Those are guaranteed.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been noticing this for years. Feels like they never miss. Especially long ones at the end of the half. Those are guaranteed.

for the regular season...

2018 ......1--1 miss Soldier Field

2017.......3--2 miss at Soldier Field

2016.......2--0 miss at Soldier Field

2015.......4--1 miss at Soldier Field

I guess there is a myth about how hard it is to kick in Soldier Field