What are you reading?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
We actually have a poster here who is a legit author...

Paging @wickerkat , you still around man?
I was on a forum about a year ago discussing the book “I Heard You Paint Houses” upon which The Irishman is based.

I commented that I thought the book was not an easy read considering how interested I was in the subject.

I soon found out I was communicating with the author.

?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

If you were one of those that were disappointed with the show like I was I pray this is true. But it will probably be another ten years for last installment lol

Met him at a writing conference. Nice guy. Not a great picture. I'm on the left.

GeorgeRRMartin.jpg

Also got to hang with Chuck Palahniuk (edited an anthology with him) of Fight Club fame, as well as Irvine Welsh, who wrote Trainspotting.

IrvingRichardChuck.JPG

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Look at this guy hobnobbing with the literati! You better start inviting the more cultured CCS posters to these shindigs, I recomend ommy, he would be a hit with that crowd, in that his nubbies would crack them up.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just started reading Uesugi Kenshin which is the English Translation of a book by Japanese author Eiji Yoshikawa. Reads a bit disjointed as I get the sense the translator struggled trying to articulate the idiosyncrasies of Japanese speech in English. That or maybe Yoshikawa was trying to be a bit too poetic as sometimes it feels like the sentence just cuts off mid-thought. Enjoyed Taiko and Musashi much better.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Been reading a bit of manga lately (Japanese comics) as got back into reading Full Metal Alchemist & Rurouni Kenshin. 2 of my favorite manga of all time the first being more European steampunk and the latter probably the best Samurai manga I have read.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Witcher books came in. Idk when I will start on them though

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I will probably start re-reading the Witcher books. For those not sure of the reading order, it is as follows.

1. Last Wish - Short stories that first season of show based on

2. Season of Storms - This is actually the last novel but takes place before 'The Witcher' short story in Last Wish above. It is not integral to main plot so can be skipped unless you want full Witcher experience.

3. Sword of Destiny - Second book of short stories that form basis of 1st season of TV show.

4 Blood of Elves - 1st novel of series that really delves into relationship between Ciri, Geralt and Yennefer.

5. Time of Contempt

6. Baptism of Fire

7. Tower of Swallows

8 - Lady of the Lake

9. Witcher PC Game - It may seem weird to list these but the games build on the lore of the books and actually tell a good story in their own right. It wont hurt to skip as the other 2 summarize the events here quite well.

10. Witcher 2 PC/Console Game - I would say this is a must as this game is what first got me hooked on this world.

11. Witcher 3 PC/Console Game - Quite possibly one of the best video games ever and a fitting end to the Witcher series. I probably have over 1,000 hours playing this game amd quite frankly the story drives the game. You can easily set this on easy or casual if you simply want to sit back and enjoy the story and not have to worry about fight difficulty.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I finished reading the first two Witcher books and seems those two books is what the show is based on. The biggest differences I see are the in-depth development of ciri and yennifer in the show compared to the book while the two books focus more so solely on the Witcher adventures. The shows followed most of the book very closely up until half way through the second book that’s when subtle changes happened

going to rewatch the show again. Kind of like the show more now after reading the books.

the next book I’m going to read is season of storms although some people suggest to read it last. @remydat what do you think I should read next in the series?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would definitely read Season of Storms next as it takes place in the middle of the short stories of the first book. Things will be fresher in your mind.

If you recall from the show, when Yen and Geralt meet on the dragon hunt Yen alludes to the fact that she and Geralt have come and gone from each other's lives an unspecified number of times. The show is actually set over 50 years and Yen and Geralt are in their late 70s, early 80s. Season of Storms takes place as after Geralt leaves Yen for first time right after they battle the Djinn and hook up for the first time.

Most people that read it last do so only because it was the last book published or because it is not integral to the main story in the 5 novels. So if you just want the core story then you can skip it or read it last omce the core story is finished.

Last edited:

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just finished Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins. It was good. Want to read more.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I would definitely read Season of Storms next as it takes place in the middle of the short stories of the first book. Things will be fresher in your mind.

If you recall from the show, when Yen and Geralt meet on the dragon hunt Yen alludes to the fact that she and Geralt have come and gone from each other's lives an unspecified number of times. The show is actually set over 50 years and Yen and Geralt are in their late 70s, early 80s. Season of Storms takes place as after Geralt leaves Yen for first time right after they battle the Djinn and hook up for the first time.

Most people that read it last do so only because it was the last book published or because it is not integral to the main story in the 5 novels. So if you just want the core story then you can skip it or read it last omce the core story is finished.

I see he somewhat changed his writing style by adding chapters that aren’t focused just on geralt but the other characters in season of storm. Is that how it goes in the other books as well?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Currently reading The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck.

I am going to start down the 100 Books everyone should read before they die list here soon. Looking through the list I have read several of the books but I think it will be fun to finish the list.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I want to start being hip, and modern again. Anyone have any Paleo-Keto-Libertarian-Contrarian self-help books to recommend?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just finished Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins. It was good. Want to read more.

Yeah, just hop on the Tom Robbins train. I started with Even the Cowgirls Get the Blues, very good.

ALSO, my novelette, "Ring of Fire" made the Preliminary Bram Stoker Award ballot. Out of hundreds that came out in 2019, and dozens that were nominated, it's down to 11. If I make the final ballot, usually six, it's considered a "nomination." This weird SF/horror mashup is in The Seven Deadliest Sins anthology, where I got lust. I wanted to do more than Hellraiser, and so I was inspired by Annihilation (the book by Jeff VanderMeer), the novella The Warren by Brian Evenson, and various movies—Moon, Ex Machina, Under the Skin, The Thing, etc. I've attached a copy if you any of you would like to read it.

Attachments

• TheSevenDeadliest_Ring of Fire_Richard Thomas_SM.pdf
    452.3 KB · Views: 0