What are your thoughts on Cubs-Rockies beanball wars?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
My main take on this.

Rockies are a bunch of pussy punk ass pukes.

They get run up after taking the series and retaliated by taking the low road.

So the players are a bunch of ass hats.

But it comes down to the manager. Didn't curb it.

It always starts at the top and Bud Black didn't Corral his players.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
My main take on this.

Rockies are a bunch of pussy punk ass pukes.

They get run up after taking the series and retaliated by taking the low road.

So the players are a bunch of ass hats.

But it comes down to the manager. Didn't curb it.

It always starts at the top and Bud Black didn't Corral his players.

I thought the Rockies/Bud Black retaliation was par for the course and not surprising at all...my comment was about the MLB and the umpires allowing it to escalate to such a degree.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I thought the Rockies/Bud Black retaliation was par for the course and not surprising at all...my comment was about the MLB and the umpires allowing it to escalate to such a degree.

I agree that the Ump's should have been on this faster.

But this is really about a team culture.

Rockies acted low class.

Cubs finally couldn't take it anymore.

Then the Rockies escalated.

Finally the Ump's steped in.

Now we all know that every pitch had intent to it. The curve to Cole's foot also. The pitcher just made it look like a mistake. That is why the ump couldn't curb it then. It appeared to look like a miss throw when in reality it was a intended attack.

So ya the Ump's hands were tied at that point and flagged the next one.

Still a warning should have been issued after Cole retaliated. The next 2 plunks should have been tossed.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm not a fan of retaliation for bean balls. I just don't see where it stops because if you then hit one of their guys they are going to hit one of your guys again. I suspect if Hamels intentionally hit him it was on his own. Joe has been pretty vocal that the cubs don't do this.

Having said all that, it's a bit ridiculous how often they have hit the cubs in the past. In situations like this I just wish a manager could go to the umps and set the stage that if someone is hit they are ejected. For example, after Bryant was hit twice two days ago the moment that ball went at Baez's head should have been an immediate ejection. I don't care if it wasn't intentional. If you can't throw with command inside then you shouldn't be allowed to pitch inside.

Honestly that's where this pisses me off the most. The umps/league aren't doing their jobs so players take it upon themselves. Some how it became socially acceptable that some times players just get hit. As I said, I honestly feel like if you're going to put in slide rules for protection how can you not eject guys who are consistently hitting batters? Like I'd even say davrish/chatwood when they don't have any command and may not be doing it on purpose shouldn't be allowed to continue pitching if they are hitting guys.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Could you imagine Rizzo breaking his hand, and missing the rest of the season because he needs to charge the mound? That selfish act could cost a team their season.
If they are not going to give out warnings, the team has no choice but to protect their players. This is one part of why I can live with no DH in the NL, because at least it usually keeps the starters from throwing at hitters.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I'm not a fan of retaliation for bean balls. I just don't see where it stops because if you then hit one of their guys they are going to hit one of your guys again. I suspect if Hamels intentionally hit him it was on his own. Joe has been pretty vocal that the cubs don't do this.

Having said all that, it's a bit ridiculous how often they have hit the cubs in the past. In situations like this I just wish a manager could go to the umps and set the stage that if someone is hit they are ejected. For example, after Bryant was hit twice two days ago the moment that ball went at Baez's head should have been an immediate ejection. I don't care if it wasn't intentional. If you can't throw with command inside then you shouldn't be allowed to pitch inside.

Honestly that's where this pisses me off the most. The umps/league aren't doing their jobs so players take it upon themselves. Some how it became socially acceptable that some times players just get hit. As I said, I honestly feel like if you're going to put in slide rules for protection how can you not eject guys who are consistently hitting batters? Like I'd even say davrish/chatwood when they don't have any command and may not be doing it on purpose shouldn't be allowed to continue pitching if they are hitting guys.

But in this day and age of shifts, its pretty stupid to be brushing anyone back so they are not leaning over to get that outside pitch. The only place they should be pitching is middle in.

Its about damn time a cub pitcher protected his team mate.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
If they are not going to give out warnings, the team has no choice but to protect their players. This is one part of why I can live with no DH in the NL, because at least it usually keeps the starters from throwing at hitters.
And again, that's all great to hear, but what happens when an injury happens in one of the mound-charging incidents that leads to a team missing one of their top players for a significant amount of time? It's idiotic. Yes, a guy like Rizzo, Bryant, or Baez can get injured at any point on the field, but I'm talking about purposefully putting yourself in a position for injury when it is not germane to the game.

Personally, I think a better way of protecting players is not engaging in this shit in the first place.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems there is a misconception. Warnings were given but decided not to throw the pitchers out on the last two. Also, javy pimped out that home run as well.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Seems there is a misconception. Warnings were given but decided not to throw the pitchers out on the last two. Also, javy pimped out that home run as well.
Are you sure? On the broadcast they said warnings weren’t given until Rizzo was hit I believe. Then they must have decided it was punishment to Colorado to throw out Brach.

That’s a pretty bizarre take that you think nobody should be allowed to be hit and that pitchers shouldn’t be allowed to pitch inside if they don’t have control.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The umps didn't get a handle on this early.

KB got hit twice Tuesday. There is a history of the Rocks hitting KB and the Umps should have given notice at the beginning of the game to both teams.
I disagree with that.
That was the Tony LaRussa approach to dealing with Kerry Wood. Start a beanball war and get warned. Then when Kerry gets a little wild, he gets tossed.

I don't want the umps issuing warnings to both teams when only one team is pulling the BS. That penalizes the innocent pitcher.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

You can't eject pitchers for being wild.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree with that.
That was the Tony LaRussa approach to dealing with Kerry Wood. Start a beanball war and get warned. Then when Kerry gets a little wild, he gets tossed.

I don't want the umps issuing warnings to both teams when only one team is pulling the BS. That penalizes the innocent pitcher.

Umps should not tolerate beanball either starting or retaliating

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Javy's actions were perfect. From the HR itself to watching it, to staring down the pitcher a little bit. Perfect!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You can't assume every HBP is intentional.

I mean, when a team retaliates, you usually have a pretty good idea. A HBP after HR, yeah.

But how do umps know when the first HBP in a game is intentional. We all know there are some that are intentional, but we also know they are not all intentional.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
That’s a pretty bizarre take that you think nobody should be allowed to be hit and that pitchers shouldn’t be allowed to pitch inside if they don’t have control.
Why is it bizarre? The league has taken steps to stop people from sliding. They have taken steps to stop catchers from blocking the plate. They did this because people were getting hurt. Now I'm not saying every single HBP should be an ejection. But half the time it takes 2-3 times in a game before umps even give a fuck which is ridiculous. And more people get hurt from HBP than from either of those two things.

As for wild pitchers, if a guy can't throw strikes he shouldn't be in the game. There's a difference between having no command of the strike zone and having no control of your pitches. For example, if a guy hits rizzo's elbow given how draped he is over the plate then fine that's whatever. That's missing by a few inches. However, if you're missing by a foot then I really don't want that pitcher in the game whether it's the opposing team or the cubs.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Are you sure? On the broadcast they said warnings weren’t given until Rizzo was hit I believe. Then they must have decided it was punishment to Colorado to throw out Brach.

Yes, warnings were given. They just didnt act on them because of the types of hbp. Warnings were given before Hamels got hit