What could we get in return for Butler?

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
While I am not saying we should trade Jimmy right now, I am interested in exploring offers for Butler. What do you think we could get in return for him? I'll say this, it's going to have to be a haul.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
While I am not saying we should trade Jimmy right now, I am interested in exploring offers for Butler. What do you think we could get in return for him? I'll say this, it's going to have to be a haul.

–The Lakers are very intriguing. Despite being a restricted free agent this summer, Jordan Clarkson would have to be included in the deal. Roy Hibbert would probably have to be in the deal for salary purposes, but he is an upcoming free agent, so no worries. Picks would also have to be included as well.

–Celtics are also very intriguing as well. They have plethora of draft picks. They do own the Nets' 2016 1st round pick, which is slated at #3 overall. If GarPax can somehow get that pick in a deal for Butler, I'd be very please.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
even though im not very happy with Butler atm i wouldn't trade him for anything less than a superstar player such as Paul George, Westbrook or Anthony Davis and none of those guys are available

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I really don't think the return would be what you expect.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I'm of the belief that anything we could get for Butler wouldn't be worth it...but ya never know. A team with a lot of young talent and a surefire lottery selection could get desperate. I doubt it though. Trading Butler is an all likelihood a terrible move and terrible message to send, seeing that he's fresh off signing a max deal and the face of the franchise.

GalePayton

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't trade Jimmy Buckets.

Although he's not as good as he may think he is, he's still one of the better two-way players in the league.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I wouldn't trade Jimmy Buckets.

Although he's not as good as he may think he is, he's still one of the better two-way players in the league.

so what 2 guard out there is a better two way player than jimmy? this should be interesting lol

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We have literally a team full of one direction players, which is why Butler is the only true untouchable.

If someone would take Rose's contract we would probably take it. If we could make a move for the future with Gasol I'm not sure about this front office, but we should probably take it.

Gibson is the next closest thing to a two-way player after Butler which is sad, Snell has developed and is a Spur type 3 and D guy who creates little offense other than spreading the floor.

Butler's only issue is he doesn't have role definition because of a soft coach and confusion among superstars Gasol/Rose.

We have role issues mostly, which is why I have more hope than most for this roster. Defining roles among the stars would allow our role players to fit in. We are just a high collection of talent and skills that plays out of chorus right now.

czman

Liked Posts:
so what 2 guard out there is a better two way player than jimmy? this should be interesting lol

Butler is about the same as DeRozan. I think Derozan is a more gifted athlete and Butler works harder. I would put them at about the same level. Harden, Thompson, Wiggins are all better. Wade is a better player, but when you factor in injuries and age I would rather have Butler. Batum is starting at SG this season and I think Butler and Batum pretty equal.

McCollum is an interesting young player that I can see as more valuable than Butler. Probably depends on how both develop.

SG is probably the worst position in basketball right now so being a top 5 SG may not even make you top 20 in the league. Butler is overrated by Bulls fans who don't watch much of the NBA outside of the Bulls.

czman

Liked Posts:

To answer your question, probably two first round picks. The best time to trade him would be the off season when a team has the available cap to take on his salary without giving anything back.

Maybe Eric Gordons expiring contract and two first round picks. The Bulls can't trade Butler for a little bit anyway.

I don't see the Bulls trading Butler in the next two years.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Butler is about the same as DeRozan. I think Derozan is a more gifted athlete and Butler works harder. I would put them at about the same level. Harden, Thompson, Wiggins are all better. Wade is a better player, but when you factor in injuries and age I would rather have Butler. Batum is starting at SG this season and I think Butler and Batum pretty equal.

McCollum is an interesting young player that I can see as more valuable than Butler. Probably depends on how both develop.

SG is probably the worst position in basketball right now so being a top 5 SG may not even make you top 20 in the league. Butler is overrated by Bulls fans who don't watch much of the NBA outside of the Bulls.

sorry dude, but you lost all credibility with those two statements in my eyes. you are correct about the SG position being weak right now. and harden is nowhere near jimmys level due to the absolutely horrific defense he plays

[video=youtube;KMKavKEKX2Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMKavKEKX2Q[/video]

to me its klay and jimmy at the top of the 2 guard list

Benchmob757

Liked Posts:
Offense is worth more than defense in this league, so saying Harden is nowhere near Butler is disingenuous, Butler may be more valuable since he's going to guard the number 1 player effectively, but on any given night Harden can drop 45 and that's nothing to scoff at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
To answer your question, probably two first round picks. The best time to trade him would be the off season when a team has the available cap to take on his salary without giving anything back.

Maybe Eric Gordons expiring contract and two first round picks. The Bulls can't trade Butler for a little bit anyway.

I don't see the Bulls trading Butler in the next two years.

Two first round picks sounds about right. It'll depend on how high they are though. They aren't going to be trading him to a team that has picks in the 22 to 30 range. It wouldn't be worth it. Now, if they could get a young player (ex. Jordan Clarkson) and a pick in the 6 to 10 range or something near that, then I'd be all for it.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Offense is worth more than defense in this league, so saying Harden is nowhere near Butler is disingenuous, Butler may be more valuable since he's going to guard the number 1 player effectively, but on any given night Harden can drop 45 and that's nothing to scoff at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never said harden isn't a great offensive player. but he is not a complete player like jimmy is. and if you like head to head as a way of seeing who is better, just watch this video...especially the 4th quarter. kirk starts the game guarding harden and harden hits a few buckets, then they switch jimmy over to him and its totally different for harden. he strugggggggles....the games he drops 45 are against nobodys...when actually guarded by someone he is pretty meh. also, keep in mind I prefaced all of this by saying top 2 way shooting guards....harden isn't a 2 way player so mentioning him is pointless to begin with :shrug:

[video=youtube;Cyam1FrldMk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyam1FrldMk[/video]

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:

Wow. A lot of bold statements in this lol.

I wouldn't trade Jimmy because, number one, I don't think you would get close value. I also think he's a top 15 player and we're going to need him. Especially considering he's by far the best scorer on the team.

czman

Liked Posts:
@knoxville7

Harden is better defensively than you give him credit for. Harden is a better all around player than Butler. Butler has better defense, but Harden is a better shooter, scorer, passer, and facilitator. I don't think there is on GM in the NBA that takes Butler over Harden.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
@knoxville7

Harden is better defensively than you give him credit for. Harden is a better all around player than Butler. Butler has better defense, but Harden is a better shooter, scorer, passer, and facilitator. I don't think there is on GM in the NBA that takes Butler over Harden.

[video=youtube;AC53cIJC_00]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC53cIJC_00[/video]

no harden is really just THAT bad on defense. and as far as offense goes, I agree harden might be slightly better but not enough to offset the defensive deficiencies. also, FWIW butler has the higher offensive rating per 100 possessions than harden this year. so an argument can be made that jimmy is actually the better offensive player besides being light years better defensively. harden is just that overrated my friend

czman

Liked Posts:
Wow. A lot of bold statements in this lol.

I wouldn't trade Jimmy because, number one, I don't think you would get close value. I also think he's a top 15 player and we're going to need him. Especially considering he's by far the best scorer on the team.

Let's say he is the 15th best player in the league, what does that really mean. Let's just use this as an example.

4 elite players in the league.
7 closet to elite players.
10-20 players in the next group.

Does it really matter if he is the best of that third group? I am not going to argue if Butler is better than DeRozan, McCollum, Batum. The granular difference is too small to make a difference. Butler is a good player who has a lot of intangibles going for him. The problem is shooting is the most important thing in the NBA right now and Butler is not a good shooter for his position.

I guess i just see it like this. Butler is not good enough to get the Bulls to the next level as the best player. If you trade him out with DeRozan you are about the same team and lose at about the same place in the playoffs. People forget that Butler is 26. He is about as developed as he is going to get. He is probably going to start his decline in the next ~3 years.

I like Butler a lot and I am glad he is on the Bulls. He is just a difference maker when you talk about winning a ring. He is a weak 2nd or really good 3rd piece to a championship team.