What do we need to do to get the most out of Mitch?

CNiel36

Liked Posts:
Seems like a hater post. Remind me about this tomorrow and I will give answers to your questions during normal business hours.

Thanks.

Lets be real, you don't have a job.

cubsforlife

Liked Posts:
Which is weird because last year it was great. He punished blitz heavy teams with his legs.
I think this is due to the lack of the oline. The oline took a major step back this year at every position. To the point where teams get pressure no matter what they do, or when it is. When you have that and predictable passing plays, that can happen to a QB. The only passing plays where we can get the ball out before the pressure, are those short passes and screens that the defenses all know are coming and replace our runs (because oh that's right, we can't run block either.) We televise every play that's coming directly off the snap because our oline gives it away. After this constantly being the case, and a QB getting hit every time he drops back to throw a deeper pass, he might miss some times to step up and throw. I don't think his pocket presence is really the problem, unless this ruined him for good once he gets a better oline. He has shown this ability at an elite level last year, I don't think that just disappears.

I think his footwork needs to be cleaned up consistently from the pocket. He side steps a lot, instead of stepping into the throw. That's why he misses to his left a lot. Something that can still be cleaned up. He just needs confidence, protection, and a run game. I think his missing wide open receivers are a bit overblown, as well as the one-read QB. I think he's stuck looking at where the pressure is coming from, that's his first read and I don't blame him for that right now. But you don't know what the play design is, or where Nagy calls for his eyes to be. You might get some sort of indication by the play design, but only the coaches and players know every detail of every play. Does he miss a few guys that he could have completed a pass to? Sure. You can find examples with every QB. I just think a lot of the times, he doesn't have the time, or the open receiver might be a third read or later. I also think he let the pressure get to him at the beginning of the year, which instantly all fell on him. The offense's struggles all got placed on him, when he knew it was not only his issues causing it. For those of you who think that makes him weak mentally, it doesn't. It's how you bounce back from the pressure. Anyone call fall into a funk based on certain pressures or stressors, what do you do from there to get out of that funk? (And Chicago is the place where the QB will get the most pressure.)

Now, I'm a fan of Trubisky, but I'm not delusional. He needs to play better himself. We need to bring in real competition next year. But, I still think there's plenty of good in Trubisky we haven't seen yet. With the right changes, I think we see them. We need a better oline (and oline coaching), better personnel decisions (we are slow to bench when its clear someone is sucking ex: Long, Leno, Shaheen, etc.), better scheme, more balance, wide receivers who don't consistently drop passes (Miller, Cohen, and a little bit of Gabriel), receivers who don't complain after every play not thrown his way (Miller), running the ball, play action off the run, and roll outs.