What does Mitch do at an above average level?

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Right now he is an elite athlete who is an above average passer on the run to either side and has above average intangibles. I admit it is a huge disappointment given who was available but we don't have a time machine so it is what it is.

Let's see how he plays out the rest of the season. He's coming up against three good defenses and two legit star QBs, one of whom was drafted after him and is being used as a stick to beat him with by every media outlet in the country. I mean, a little part of him must absolutely hate Patrick Mahomes right now.

If the Bears go 2-1 and he continues the level of play of the last couple of weeks then I think you can make the case that the arrow is pointed slightly up and that he can take a step with a better supporting cast in 2020.

If he shits the bed and regresses back to being a marginal starter/career back up then we are screwed.

Ironhead22

Liked Posts:
I guess I have to step in. On the accuracy point last year 66.6 completion % with a 7.4 yards per attempt. Rodgers 62.3 7.4
This year 64.5 and 6.2 . Rodgers 64.4 and 7.4. Before you say, are you saying he is as good as Rodgers? NO. Just asking where that narrative came from?

msadows

Liked Posts:
Throws on the run. Leads his team. Great arm. Great legs. Team leader. Bigger question is what don't he do well. I'm fkn stoked to have him as our qb the next 10 plus years.

He is very good throwing on the run. Also an above average arm.

I think he does everything "above average", his issue is consistency. You cant look like a top 10 QB in accuracy and decision making one game then like the worst in the league.

I'd say, if this was madden, most of his rankings would be average, but his consistency/awareness or whatever would be like a 20. lol

msadows

Liked Posts:
I guess I have to step in. On the accuracy point last year 66.6 completion % with a 7.4 yards per attempt. Rodgers 62.3 7.4
This year 64.5 and 6.2 . Rodgers 64.4 and 7.4. Before you say, are you saying he is as good as Rodgers? NO. Just asking where that narrative came from?

Because Mitch has horrible accuracy down field.

On the short shit he's never really been bad. Any route under 15 yards his accuracy is usually on point, anything over 15 the guy gets all over the place(Up until the last couple weeks).

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
He’s not incredibly accurate. He’s not smart enough to read defenses at an above average level. He doesn’t have a rocket arm like Rodgers or Mahomes. He doesn’t run enough for his mobility to be considered above average. Can anybody please tell me what exactly he as an individual does at an above average level? If the answer is no he should not be getting an extension and should be replaced next season.
I would say... LIFE. In fact, right now he seems to be doing that at an elite level.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Literally, you didn't need to make this thread. Just read mitch's draft profile, he's pretty much still the same guy:

STRENGTHS
Adequate height with good muscular definition. Built to withstand physical challenges of the position. Calm field general. Very good pocket mobility. Can slide around circumference of the pocket without having to drop his eyes from their task. When he leaves the pocket, looks to challenge with his arm before defaulting to his feet. Always in ready-to-rip throwing posture. Delivery is crisp and efficient. Locates safeties and reads their intentions immediately after the snap. Quick through his progressions and will double back to targets if his protection allows him time. Pocket mechanics and throwing motion are solid. Tough and competitive. Shows courage and poise in the pocket. Throws passes from balanced platforms and rarely defaults to an off-balance throw unnecessarily. Has all the arm you need. NFL call sheets will be wide open with Trubisky at the helm. Can dial up deep field-side outs with accuracy. Ball comes humming out of his hand when he needs to spike his velocity. Arm talent to whip a catchable throw from difficult angles to targets outside the numbers. Makes the standard "pitch and catch" throws with consistent accuracy. Ball usually comes out on time. His 62.1 completion percentage on intermediate throws easily outpaces the top quarterbacks in this draft. Possesses get-away quickness to avoid sudden pressure from a-gap blitzers with the speed to damage the defensive cause once he leaves the pocket.

WEAKNESSES
Almost 98 percent of his dropbacks came from shotgun. Will have to learn NFL footwork from under center which could take time. Benefits from offense loaded with RPOs (run-pass option) that pull linebackers forward and open easier throwing windows. Played in space-based passing attack that didn't often ask him to throw to tight windows in traffic. Arm slot will drop way down causing batted balls at line of scrimmage. Too willing to float balls rather than air-mailing them out of bounds when he's making a bail-out throw against pressure. Needs better drive accuracy between the hashes. Has a tendency to leave throws in hip pocket of moving targets. Inconsistent deep ball touch. Has touchdown opportunities he babies and invites defenders time to recover. Not always pocket aware. Hyper-focuses on shifting parts down the field and can be late to feel pressure collapsing the edges.

msadows

Liked Posts:
It is very worrisome that at nearly the end of year 3 almost all of his college weaknesses are still very apparent in the NFL.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
He’s not incredibly accurate. He’s not smart enough to read defenses at an above average level. He doesn’t have a rocket arm like Rodgers or Mahomes. He doesn’t run enough for his mobility to be considered above average. Can anybody please tell me what exactly he as an individual does at an above average level? If the answer is no he should not be getting an extension and should be replaced next season.

Fuck your GF??

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is very worrisome that at nearly the end of year 3 almost all of his college weaknesses are still very apparent in the NFL.

More concerning is his college strengths have all but evaporated as well.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tell his coach he loves him

Anyone else find that strange/cringy? He told Nagy that he loved him more than I probably do my girlfriend. It was just...excessive? IDK it's just strange to state a platonic love for another person multiple times within a few hour span.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
First, is anyone legitimately talking about an extension?
second, work and study
Third, lead. I don’t think I’ve heard anyone from the team say anything bad about him, either publicly or through “unnamed sources”.
Fourth Epstein didn’t kill himself
Fifth Aaronitout hates autistic people and threatens people’s families.

Lol,Epstein. GTFO.

Ironhead22

Liked Posts:

On the short shit he's never really been bad. Any route under 15 yards his accuracy is usually on point, anything over 15 the guy gets all over the place(Up until the last couple weeks).
When he throws down field to bigger receivers he is fairly accurate. They also help to make plays like they are suppose to. When throwing to 5-8 guys that do not fight for the ball its much harder. Can he be better at it? For sure.

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:

I immediately thought of Christian ponder when you said that

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Anyone else find that strange/cringy? He told Nagy that he loved him more than I probably do my girlfriend. It was just...excessive? IDK it's just strange to state a platonic love for another person multiple times within a few hour span.

Mitch Trubisky On Getting Yelled At By Matt Nagy: “I Love It”

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
There are issues that I believe may be fixable and issues that look like they will be ongoing....

Long-term problems
The footwork issue is a huge concern. We are two and a half years into his NFL career - I would have thought that we would have seen some consistency on that by now as that's something you can drill without even needing an opponent?

He is not as accurate as advertised, hence the need for more guys like Wims and fewer guys like Gabriel.

Related, but his deep ball has been garbage pretty much his entire career. Even when he hits a deep ball, the WR usually has to stop, turn around, make a play on the ball and fall into the end zone. I can remember one pass of over 40 yards where the receiver didn't have to break stride and that was to Tanner Gentry in a pre-season game in Tennessee.

May be fixable
His pocket presence is inconsistent. The desire to turn him into a pocket passer and the injury have contributed but he has a way to go in climbing the pocket and keeping his eyes downfield.

His ability to run through progressions has been much criticised. I saw some improvement in the Lions and Cowboys games, particularly the TD pass to Montgomery which was his 3rd or 4th read I believe.

I also think both of these issues can be mitigated by having a functional OL that can run the ball for more than 2-3 yards a pop.

Ironhead22

Liked Posts:
I immediately thought of Christian ponder when you said that
Ponder played 38 games, completed 59% of his passes for 38 tds and 36 ints. So if that is what you thought of there is no changing your mind on Mitch.