What I want to see from Pace

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Big picture I would like to use the 2nd round picks to build the offense. We cannot afford talent deficiencies on that side of the ball.

I would like to take 4th, 5th, 5th, 5th and hand them to the defensive staff. Get a bunch of young guys in here at OLB, CB, S and develop them for when the defense starts seeing turnover.

The defense should not need any day 1 starting level talent unless Prince is a cap casualty.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No one better.

Just because it ain't mitch, don't mean its any better.

And no, Dalton is NOT better.

Dalton for me is a push.

Bridgewater > 10, but he has less upside and will cost a ton.

10 > Mariota

10=Dalton

10 > Foles

msadows

Liked Posts:
If you think that Andy Dalton just takes Mitch's job you are over rating Andy Dalton.

Anytime STILL thinks mitch doesn't get a start next year.

We could bring back John Shoop and have Johnathan Quinn under center and Anytime would think it's an improvement over Mitch.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Anytime STILL thinks mitch doesn't get a start next year.

We could bring back John Shoop and have Johnathan Quinn under center and Anytime would think it's an improvement over Mitch.

Mitch will probably win out against most competition because his ceiling is much higher. You saw it against Dallas when it clicks for him he looks unstoppable.

Dalton may have a slightly higher floor because of his experience, but the ceiling is significantly lower.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Big picture I would like to use the 2nd round picks to build the offense. We cannot afford talent deficiencies on that side of the ball.

I would like to take 4th, 5th, 5th, 5th and hand them to the defensive staff. Get a bunch of young guys in here at OLB, CB, S and develop them for when the defense starts seeing turnover.

The defense should not need any day 1 starting level talent unless Prince is a cap casualty.

or Floyd hits FA because he doesn't agree to a cheaper deal.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Dalton for me is a push.

Bridgewater > 10, but he has less upside and will cost a ton.

10 > Mariota

10=Dalton

10 > Foles

I don't see it that way. The guy is in his 10th year, Mitch actually has a chance to improve and develop, Dalton is what he is.

I don't mind the competition if he comes cheap, but to expect him to have a Ryan Tannehill career turnaround is asking for a lot.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Mitch will probably win out against most competition because his ceiling is much higher. You saw it against Dallas when it clicks for him he looks unstoppable.

Dalton may have a slightly higher floor because of his experience, but the ceiling is significantly lower.

We've pretty much had the same opinions on this Trubisky situation.

I do hope the bears bring in solid competition. It can only help this team, but both me and you know the only shot this team has at a superbowl is to hope mitch takes steps forward and build around his strengths. If mitch busts this window closes. Best thing that could have happened for this loss of a season is for mitch to be playing how he has lately.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
or Floyd hits FA because he doesn't agree to a cheaper deal.

That would change things. I think he plays on the option no matter what.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We've pretty much had the same opinions on this Trubisky situation.

I do hope the bears bring in solid competition. It can only help this team, but both me and you know the only shot this team has at a superbowl is to hope mitch takes steps forward and build around his strengths. If mitch busts this window closes. Best thing that could have happened for this loss of a season is for mitch to be playing how he has lately.

90% chance he is going to be the QB.

So lets be realistic and do what we can to maximize what we get for him. Building the offense will help whoever plays QB, but we might as well see what we can drag out of him in 2020.

The ceiling is still there. We need to get his floor up closer to the 16th QB in the league with flashes of being really good.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would be shocked as paying Floyd 13.2mil is terrible asset allocation.

The problem is they cannot afford to replace him.

They could draft someone, but it is no guarantee that a 2nd round pass rusher is ready to do anything.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

They could draft someone, but it is no guarantee that a 2nd round pass rusher is ready to do anything.

You could use some of that 13.2 to pay a better pass rusher.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:

Pace's record with OL is reasonable so I would be pretty happy taking both of those second rounders and spending them on the OL if the talent is there. I also wouldn't mind going down the WR route if the talent is too good to pass up with it being a really deep class. Nagy would also be heavily involved in that kind of pick which makes me feel a little better.

The bonus of focusing on OL, TE, WR is that if Trubisky does flame out in 2020, we have the personnel in place for a first-round QB to bed in the following year.

I just hope he doesn't get cute and trade up or draft a project TE.

I have to agree sadly. He's 27 so at this stage he is what he is as a pass rusher. But if we don't spend the money on Floyd it'll go on his replacement. People are taking about Bud Dupree but he's had one good season really in a contract year and is going to get paid. I also see that as a marginal upgrade.

Last edited:

Hammer

Liked Posts:
2020 Draft has great depth at O-Line & secondary positions, you can basically get legit 1st round talent (from average Draft) in mid 2nd round, so I would target those positions with Bears two picks, OT, G, CB, S, whomever scouts see as most talented and best fit.

Btw. considering Floyd, I think you can definitely get better than 4 sack per season pass rusher for $13M in FA...

msadows

Liked Posts:

The same logical, sound, argument that people make about replacing mitch.

Newsflash, guys, good pass rushers very rarely get let go. Good QB's almost NEVER get let go.

Good luck finding anyone in FA.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

There are plenty of guys who would come cheaper and be just as good or better at pass rush, but not as versatile. Jabaal Sheard, Whitney Mercilus, Jordan Jenkins, Vic Beasely, Bud Dupree, Bruce Irvin, Marcus Golden, Ogbah. There are others. Some of those guys will demand big investments, but none will cost $13mil against the cap next year. Some

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The same logical, sound, argument that people make about replacing mitch.

Newsflash, guys, good pass rushers very rarely get let go. Good QB's almost NEVER get let go.

Good luck finding anyone in FA.

There are many guys who are better pass rushers than Floyd who will cost less than $13.2mil next year, and probably even per year.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
The thing is, Floyd isn't really a good pass rusher, he's mediocre at best and about to get paid $13M in 2020, that's absurd amount of money for 4 sacks per year OLB.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If you think that Andy Dalton just takes Mitch's job you are over rating Andy Dalton.
Im not. I just don’t think Mitch is clearly better. All season Mitch has been treated like he’s above being compared to lower tier QBs when at this point he’s been one.

Again, I’m gonna to need to see Mitch play like he has the past couple weeks before I regard him higher. I’m rooting for him but I’m not believing it’s real.