What I want to see from Pace

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Floyd is a horrible pass rusher. We can get the same production out of a rookie. A rook may not cover or defend the run as well, but would be much better for the team overall to allocate that $$$ elsewhere...

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Overall, I agree. But anytime you want to throw multiple resources at the offensive line, I'm game. A strong offensive line will turn Monty into a top 5 back (book it) and will give Mitch or whoever is next in line a helluva head start.

And fuck the midgets. I wholeheartedly agree!
I’m for the OL but when we get into the big WRs thing, I think we’re getting off track. What people are really saying is “Let’s make the offense inaccuracy proof” ala Cutler/McCown with Jeffery, Marshall and Bennett. Large catch radius. I think they’re fine at receiver. Weird how everyone has looked better when *checks notes* the QB throws an accurate football. I’d rather see them throw money at a better FA even if you overpay.

I’d shore up the DL before I even think about WRs.

Reactions: DC

msadows

Liked Posts:
I’m for the OL but when we get into the big WRs thing, I think we’re getting off track. What people are really saying is “Let’s make the offense inaccuracy proof” ala Cutler/McCown with Jeffery, Marshall and Bennett. Large catch radius. I think they’re fine at receiver. Weird how everyone has looked better when *checks notes* the QB throws an accurate football. I’d rather see them throw money at a better FA even if you overpay.

Weird how the QB oddly looks accurate when, "checks notes" the offensive line plays well and gets the run game going, and the WR's don't drop the fucking ball.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubisky has an above average Quarterback W-L record.....where he does the quarterbacking

Also According to pro football reference for 2019:

The Average completion percentage is 63.9 Trubisky this year is 64.5
Average INT rate is 2.3 Trubisky is 2.0
The average sack percentage is 6.9...Trubisky is at a 6.7

Also he is getting more rushing yards than the average QB

Those are the things he is better than average, statistically

Luke

Liked Posts:

how about Whitney Mercilus, twice the sacks at half the price. For the cost of Floyd (13.2) and Burton post 6/1 cut (2.75), could probably get Mercilus and Hooper.

Last edited:

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Weird how the QB oddly looks accurate when, "checks notes" the offensive line plays well and gets the run game going, and the WR's don't drop the fucking ball.
everyone but Mitch.

sure never seen Mitch play poorly when other people did their jobs. Never.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
There are plenty of guys who would come cheaper and be just as good or better at pass rush, but not as versatile. Jabaal Sheard, Whitney Mercilus, Jordan Jenkins, Vic Beasely, Bud Dupree, Bruce Irvin, Marcus Golden, Ogbah. There are others. Some of those guys will demand big investments, but none will cost $13mil against the cap next year. Some

I'm not against replacing Floyd. But you do have to recognise that for all his lack of pass rush, he does have a skillset that two well respected DCs have looked at and valued.

As you say, the guys you list are less flexible in what they can do.

I wouldn’t be against cutting Lynch and replacing Floyd with a combination of these guys to try and bring the pass rush and replace the versatility that he offers.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I'm not against replacing Floyd. But you do have to recognise that for all his lack of pass rush, he does have a skillset that two well respected DCs have looked at and valued.

As you say, the guys you list are less flexible in what they can do.

I wouldn’t be against cutting Lynch and replacing Floyd with a combination of these guys to try and bring the pass rush and replace the versatility that he offers.

He's got a nice all around skill set. I think he's a better fit in 4-3 and I don't think he's worth close to $13mil, but if they could sign him to a reasonable deal, say $30mil/4 years with a two year out, I'd be fine with that.

Lynch is already an unrestricted free agent. They might bring him back but it will be for peanuts.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
He's got a nice all around skill set. I think he's a better fit in 4-3 and I don't think he's worth close to $13mil, but if they could sign him to a reasonable deal, say $30mil/4 years with a two year out, I'd be fine with that.

Lynch is already an unrestricted free agent. They might bring him back but it will be for peanuts.

Yeah, I doubt they bring Lynch back to be honest.

There's no doubt we need better depth there as none of the guys behind Lynch have worked out. I just wonder whether this is the offseason to try and upgrade OLB when we have to sort out the offense. I also think it is way more likely that Pace picks up the option with Floyd than let's one of his first-rounders walk.

I see the priorities as OL, TE, CB, Edge in that order. Focus on the OL, TE issues this offseason as you have limited cap space, draft picks. If Mitch plans out, you can go CB/edge in the 1st round of 2021. If he doesn't, you are taking a QB with a new GM.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
how about Whitney Mercilus, twice the sacks at half the price. For the cost of Floyd (13.2) and Burton post 6/1 cut (2.75), could probably get Mercilus and Hooper.

Can you designate anyone a June 1st cut in the final year of a CBA?

I think you could see Hooper get $10m/year. He's 25 and a 30yo Kyle Rudolph just got a 4 year deal for a little over $9m/yr.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Can you designate anyone a June 1st cut in the final year of a CBA?

I think you could see Hooper get $10m/year. He's 25 and a 30yo Kyle Rudolph just got a 4 year deal for a little over $9m/yr.

good call - in the final league year, there are no post june 1 release designations.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I feel like these last 4 games should be Trubisky's tryout. We're still technically contending. He played great against Dallas, and that's a great sign. He looked like the Trubisky that we thought we'd be getting this season. If he shits the bed in any of the next 3 games, or plays poorly, then we think about bringing in real competition for the QB1 spot next season.

That said, if he's expected to throw the ball 40+ times while we run the ball 12 times in any of these games, maybe we need to think about Nagy just focusing on being the head coach, and bring someone in to design the offense and call plays. Because Trubisky playing better the last several weeks is just as much about Trubisky as it is Nagy.

I hope we've seen some real change, and from here on out we'll be able to contend with Nagy and Trubisky. Fingers crossed, I guess.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I do not think anyone is talking about him being an elite QB like the guys you are talking about.

I think we are talking about elevating him to the Cousins, Dak, Jimmy G level. Those guys do not have any one ability that is above average or unique, but they have enough in all areas to be effective when supported and well coached.

I am probably all alone in my reasoning here but hang on as I say this:

I do not think Mitch will ever be at the second-tier level of Dak and Jimmy G. I think he is wearing his heart on his sleeve and puts more into his career becoming something than anyone else. My thinking is because no QB anywhere had a beginning to the NFL like he did. To be anointed the first QB and outplayed thoroughly in 2 years by others behind him.

I believe it has created in him something unique and he likely will be boom or bust at this point. I am unsure his emotional state can handle a stretch like early 2019 again (can only turn TVs off so many times for so long). But then again, he found his zip and playmaking ability so he may also be in a unique position to keep himself from descending there.

In NO way would I ever advocate saying he would make others better nor should it even be expected of him. I suspect those days in the NFL are largely dying out acquisition-wise.

I am no longer sure based on his personality that I see that his floor is average NFL QB. That may once have been true but circumstances may have changed that fact imo.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Dalton for me is a push.

Bridgewater > 10, but he has less upside and will cost a ton.

10 > Mariota

10=Dalton

10 > Foles

Agreed and none of the ones listed are worth the FA money imo just to be a better backup than Chase.

Pace should ride with 10 and see just how big a boom or a bust this will end up

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubisky has an above average Quarterback W-L record.....where he does the quarterbacking

Also According to pro football reference for 2019:

The Average completion percentage is 63.9 Trubisky this year is 64.5
Average INT rate is 2.3 Trubisky is 2.0
The average sack percentage is 6.9...Trubisky is at a 6.7

Also he is getting more rushing yards than the average QB

Those are the things he is better than average, statistically
If slightly better than average is his ceiling, and after three years we have to start admitting it is, then none of the changes the Bears can make this offseason are putting them over the top. There has to be some kind of competition next year and every year until there's a true franchise qb on the roster.

Still I agree shoring up the oline has to be the top personnel priority. I worried this along with TE was the biggest weakness last year and was told shut up they'll be fine.

They've gone from a steaming pile in the first half of the season to bumslayers in the second half - a huge disappointment for a team that was supposed to be in win now mode. I'd argue that Nagy getting his head out of his ass and calling better games is a bigger reason than Trubisky improving. That has to continue next year or any personnel changes will be wasted.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I think they are good at WR

Robinson
Miller
Wims

Ridley
Patterson
Maybe a late round guy who is big and runs fast

That is a fine WR core for a team that should not throw the ball more than 30 times a game.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am probably all alone in my reasoning here but hang on as I say this:

I do not think Mitch will ever be at the second-tier level of Dak and Jimmy G. I think he is wearing his heart on his sleeve and puts more into his career becoming something than anyone else. My thinking is because no QB anywhere had a beginning to the NFL like he did. To be anointed the first QB and outplayed thoroughly in 2 years by others behind him.

I believe it has created in him something unique and he likely will be boom or bust at this point. I am unsure his emotional state can handle a stretch like early 2019 again (can only turn TVs off so many times for so long). But then again, he found his zip and playmaking ability so he may also be in a unique position to keep himself from descending there.

In NO way would I ever advocate saying he would make others better nor should it even be expected of him. I suspect those days in the NFL are largely dying out acquisition-wise.

I am no longer sure based on his personality that I see that his floor is average NFL QB. That may once have been true but circumstances may have changed that fact imo.

I can see this.

But if we build the offense to support a non-elite QB then if he is elite then we are really ahead, if he busts out then we are setting the table for a new draft pick who is more than likely going to be in the 2nd tier.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I can see this.

But if we build the offense to support a non-elite QB then if he is elite then we are really ahead, if he busts out then we are setting the table for a new draft pick who is more than likely going to be in the 2nd tier.

and you're basing this on...?