What new innovative plays will Trestman come up with this year?

Madden

Liked Posts:
Last year we had the Alshon reverse that he liked to go to that had pretty good success. While not exactly groundbreaking, I would say it was his signature "non-standard" playcall from last year. At least his most memorable that seemed to work most of the time. I'm kind of surprised we didn't see more innovation as he's known to be a playcaling guru. Maybe he was still getting used to NFL defenses and decided to keep some in reserve?

What would you like to see Trestman pull out of his bag of tricks for this year?
Maybe something that he used in his Canadian days that he hasn't tried in the NFL yet?

Formations, personnel, motion, misdirection, playaction, picks, rollouts, reverses, draws, etc...

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be shocked to see the good ol' split back formation now that the Bears drafted Carey & have Forte. Both are legitimate receiving HBs, & I do think the addition of Carey will result in Forte seeing more time in the passing game. If Trestman did run some split back it would be nice to see more screens to either HB on the outside. Last season I didn't think the Bears ran as many screen passes as I've typically seen from variations of the WCO. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see some split back formations with more screen passes.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Not a new play... but a new player...

Trest loved to use Jeffery for End Arounds. Jeffery isn't a speedster, but still did it well. Trestman can now use Chris Williams to do it.

With Chris Williams 4.24 40-dash, Trest now has a WR to quickly stretch the field, which is beneficial to a WCO. (If Williams can slip the jam.)

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last year we had the Alshon reverse that he liked to go to that had pretty good success. While not exactly groundbreaking, I would say it was his signature "non-standard" playcall from last year. At least his most memorable that seemed to work most of the time. I'm kind of surprised we didn't see more innovation as he's known to be a playcaling guru. Maybe he was still getting used to NFL defenses and decided to keep some in reserve?

What would you like to see Trestman pull out of his bag of tricks for this year?
Maybe something that he used in his Canadian days that he hasn't tried in the NFL yet?

Formations, personnel, motion, misdirection, playaction, picks, rollouts, reverses, draws, etc...
the first down punt

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Said it before... Like to see Lynch be used as place holder for punts.

With his proven quickness & rushing ability, and his ability to pass, he'd be the most dangerous place holder in the NFL. I would expect teams would have to give up on deep blocking-coverage in order to defend against Lynch.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Flea-Flickers, statue of liberty, I like Scuplts idea of using the new WR for the reverse.

In regards to the 1st down punt...if MVP Maynard were still around I would be behind this. Might as well see what the bums on O can do with the rock.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
bob-griese.jpg

Alpha

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wild cat with the drafted QB turned to running back.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
from his couch?

He'll be on the practice squad boy.. Plus they could wisely use him as a Scout QB for mobile QBs.

Id be interested in some two RB sets, they used it in the preseason last year but not after it.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That was an end around, not a reverse. If any of you guys end up re-watching last season make sure to take note of how many variations of the Alshon-around and fake-Alshon-around they ran (just out of sheer curiosity); it kind of gives you a window into the mind of Trestman, because I don't recall many of them looking exactly alike.

Meatball

Liked Posts:
That play, the Alshon end around, was lifted (like a lot of plays you saw) from the Saints playbook.

I think it speaks to how much Trestman collaborates with Aaron Kromer and how they merged their two offensive philosophies together.

The Saints All-Go play was pretty heavily used last year too.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
The guy coached in the NFL for nearly 20 years, I think he's pretty familiar with "NFL defenses."

His rep as a play calling guru isn't due to designing gimmicky plays, but for designing an quick hitting WC O with multiple looks and multiple concepts out of each look and particularly for setting up Ds with his play calls and knowing what play to call at the right time.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
That play, the Alshon end around, was lifted (like a lot of plays you saw) from the Saints playbook.

I think it speaks to how much Trestman collaborates with Aaron Kromer and how they merged their two offensive philosophies together.

The Saints All-Go play was pretty heavily used last year too.

You do realize that the saints O is based off Trest's variant of the WC right? Not only did Kromer work under Trestman in Oakland, but when Payton was hired as the saints HC he offered Trestman the saints OC gig, then when Trestman turned it down asked him to come in as an offensive consultant.