What Should Happen if Mitch Doesn't Develop

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
No one is on the ledge.

Says the guy going over hypothetical worse case scenarios after week 1.... :unsure:

As I said in the OP, this is a thought experiment about what would have to be done.

You have the entire offseason to play out these scenarios if it comes to it. Hardly necessary at this point.

If you think the Bears have not had the same conversation you are crazy. Everyone runs through the worst case scenario and how they would react.

I'm sure they have all sorts of contingency plans for all sorts of hypothetical scenarios. Big fucking deal. We'll cross that bridge if/when it comes. How about we all put on our big boy pants and wait to see how things play out before we obsess over hypotheticals.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
If that happens you draft another QB

ctree5454

Liked Posts:
Wait. If Mitch doesn't develop, you empower Nagy? Doesn't that assume his lack of development was all Mitch and Nagy bears no blame for multiple games now for not doing Mitch any favors at all in his planning and playcalling? If Mitch doesn't develop, I presume we do not win the NFC and if THAT happens, I want to look hard at what Nagy did throughout the year before I make the call to empower him, all I am saying.

This is where I get lost also. I know it was a small sample but when Mitch was coming out of college he was far and away my favorite QB prospect. I watched every throw he made and he was insanely accurate, comfortable in the pocket, athletic and a pretty good decision maker. And when he made a poor decision, he made up for by throwing the ball where only his receiver good get it. His accuracy was off the charts and that is what Pace routinely mentioned when he was drafted.

Fast forward to today and he has regressed in every aspect. I know they changed his footwork and the way he holds the ball, and everything just looks different than when he was throwing in college. If you would have told me he would be this inaccurate I would not have remotely believed it. So I have a hard time blaming Pace when I saw the exact same things only to watch him regress. But whether it's through coaching or other factors is hard to say.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
If Mitch doesn't improve, you start exploring what your other assets are worth starting with Khalil Mack.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Fair enough, they have to go draft again. But this is 2 years away at the soonest. Mitch needs to grow, no doubt. We all knew that. The pace of pressure has accelerated because of the 'Mack deal'. Trubs needs to take more lumps like Thursday, hate to say it.
QBs typically don’t take 4 or 5 years to develop. If Trubisky isn’t the guy by the end of the year there’s well over a 90% chance he’ll never be the guy. Pace damn well better not wait two years to address this or he'll be fired.

wisconsinbearsfan

Liked Posts:
You lost me at giving Nagy any sort of control.

Nagy ran the 20th best offense last year and currently the 32nd offense this year. He's in charge of the offense, but he doesn't know what a running game is. He couldn't get Jordan Howard going. Now he can't get Montgomery going. Any QB knows a good running game keeps the defense honest and makes their life easier. This guy needs to be launched into the sun if he can't get Trubisky and this offense to succeed, not given more control.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
That is going to be too expensive more than likely.

Unless Alex Smith comes comically cheap they already will be paying Mitch 10 million and they have limited cap space.

If we start 0-8 as someone on this forum predicted I think we can sell some of those impending FA’s for more draft capital and cap space. How much could a guy who didn’t play for almost 2 years command?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Says the guy going over hypothetical worse case scenarios after week 1.... :unsure:

You have the entire offseason to play out these scenarios if it comes to it. Hardly necessary at this point.

I'm sure they have all sorts of contingency plans for all sorts of hypothetical scenarios. Big fucking deal. We'll cross that bridge if/when it comes. How about we all put on our big boy pants and wait to see how things play out before we obsess over hypotheticals.

If you do not want to be involved in hypothetical conversations, you do not need to come into the thread.

The rest of us have 4 days to kill and there is only so much we can talk about.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Nagy ran the 20th best offense last year and currently the 32nd offense this year. He's in charge of the offense, but he doesn't know what a running game is. He couldn't get Jordan Howard going. Now he can't get Montgomery going. Any QB knows a good running game keeps the defense honest and makes their life easier. This guy needs to be launched into the sun if he can't get Trubisky and this offense to succeed, not given more control.

Last game was probably his worst from a management stand point. There were still wide open WRs that were flat out missed for big plays.

The guy can design and call plays.... most of the time.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you do not want to be involved in hypothetical conversations, you do not need to come into the thread.

The rest of us have 4 days to kill and there is only so much we can talk about.

If you can't handle people poking fun at your hypothetical discussion thread that is about 6 months too early then perhaps you shouldn't create one.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you can't handle people poking fun at your hypothetical discussion thread that is about 6 months too early then perhaps you shouldn't create one.

Touche

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I'd do a hybrid strategy. Entirely hypothetical. Let's all remember in each of his first 2 seasons at North Carolina he had less than 100 pass attempts per season. Add in that that his first NFL season was essentially one long lesson in handing the football off he's already had one radical scheme change (Fox to Nagy) we have to know he's still had relatively less football experience then peers his age/draft class.

If you are moving on here's what I'd do:

Nagy gets to pick the FA vet that would best fit his scheme - There has to be 3-5 players Nagy has seen that are current backups/burnouts which he feels would fit what he does.

Nagy then lets Pace know the exact traits he feels are important for the position and then Pace's job is to find a player that fits. This doesn't mean a massive trade up or even a first rounder, but rather someone they can groom for 1-2 years behind the vet.

If it works you might have a QB/coach/GM combo for the next 10+ years. If it doesn't you know everyone had a chance and you can fire everyone and move on.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Nagy would need to not have another week 1 like game.

Missing on Trubisky, with the trade up as well, is more than a -1 for Pace. It is his defensive talent he is wasting with his hand picked and traded up for QB.

But I agreed hence my ending my post with "Pace is out with thanks for the D"

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Keep repeating the serenity prayer over and over, and accept the fact that Trubisky is going to be more like Eli Manning than Aaron Rodgers, and have some good games and some shit games, and ultimately get a couple of rings. As many as Rodgers and Brees put together.

Yeah, I'm not quite ready to accept that as fact.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
So I have a hard time blaming Pace when I saw the exact same things only to watch him regress. But whether it's through coaching or other factors is hard to say.

I have no problem blaming Pace. My doubts in giving Nagy more power or even keeping him should Mitch fall apart did not absolve Pace in any way.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
#TankForTrevor

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I keep Pace and Nagy around and I give Nagy the veto power. I believe Nagy is the HC to lead this team for the next decade, he just needs a QB who can execute his gameplan.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I disagree. Nagy is an effective leader with clear vision and innovative ideas. He is the HC that this organization has been in search of for ages.

Rather than cater the offense to Mitch, at least in the first game of the year, I have no problem testing his QB and seeing if he will sink or swim. Better to find out now than 3 years from now.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I keep Pace and Nagy around and I give Nagy the veto power. I believe Nagy is the HC to lead this team for the next decade, he just needs a QB who can execute his gameplan.

He just needs a QB that can execute his 33 pass plays in a row in a 1-possession game. The 200 IQ gameplan.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
No way do the Bears wait until 2021 to address the QB spot if Mitch doesn't come around by the end of this season.

Remember how bad the last two years of Cutler were? Languishing with a QB you knew wasn't the franchise guy but were stuck with all the same. People really want to re-live that reality again? No thanks.

If Mitch continues his pattern of far more bad/mediocre games than good games Pace and Nagy need to do everything in their power to draft a QB next off-season. If they have to package both second rounders in a move up so be it.

Some people will bitch about the amount of draft capitol used finding Mitch's replacement but if he continues to bomb they no longer need to allocate 25-30 million in cap space for him. They can easily keep the band together in that case (Cohen, Jackson, Floyd, Robinson, Trevathan, RRH) while adding other free agents.

Use the suddenly new found future cap space to fill spots on the depth chart and swing on another young QB in the draft.