What Should Happen if Mitch Doesn't Develop

greg23

Liked Posts:
A few thoughts

Not sure what's more comical, the move-on/hate of Trubiksy or the ridiculous calls for Tyler Bray? (Theres a reason 31 other teams have passed on him multiple times for multiple years)

Giving Nagy more decison making scares the hell out of me..... the two decision making things he's solely in charge of are clearly his worst attributes (in game decision making; play calling....yes I said it; alot if time he's too cute a schemer)

Getting a vet backup who can excel immediately in this offense should be the priority next off season (think josh mccown in Trestman's system)....things dont last forever ; esp dominant defenses; so the window for this defense could be 2018-2020; relying on then any further than that is horrible leadership

Let the season play out but if he's truly awful the next 6 weeks and we lose quite a bit: trading assets for picks before the should be considered

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let Nagy pick the next QB someone who fits his system.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is going to be too expensive more than likely.

Unless Alex Smith comes comically cheap they already will be paying Mitch 10 million and they have limited cap space.

alex smith can barely walk at the moment. You not only need to look at Salary cap issues in the next few years, but the ages of some of the vets in 2-3 years time.

Zerovoltz

Liked Posts:
About KC, Nagy, Mahomes, Tbiscuit and the 2017 draft....

There were some rumblings KC liked Trubisky. There are rumblings about guys leading up to the draft. It is well documented KC had been talking to Buffalo for a few weeks prior to the draft about moving up to 10. They knew they weren't doing that to get Trubisky...that was for Mahomes. ....also.....Veach was in a Mahomes a long time before the draft....but if you think KC drafted Mahomes without Andy Reid being in on that as the no.1 guy behind it all, you are nuts...Veach is Reids hand picked GM. Veach does Rieds bidding, not the other way around. .....Nagy, when hired by the Bears.....A WHOLE YEAR later....was supposed to say what exactly? Ehhhh....I think Trubs isn't that good...I didn't like Trubs in the draft...but hire me to be your HC and work with the guy you're future is invested in? Of course not....Nagy is going to say EXACTLY what he said....that he loved Trubs and that KC thought he was the no.1 prospect. And furthermore...the Bears moved up to 2, to insure that CLEVELAND wasn't coming up to get him....try very hard to remember that KC had pick 27 in that draft to begin with....and no other ammo to trade with.....KC couldn't get to 2 if they wanted to. Cleveland had pick 12 and plenty of other draft capital...it was a legit concern. So...to be clear....KC was in it for Mahomes from the git go....not Trubs....Nagy was into Trubs to get a job....who knows what he really thought.

Last edited:

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
If Mitch fails there has to be a huge concern with Nagy.

If week 1 is any indication Nagy has equal if not more blame imo. We laughed about how smart he was when starters were getting hurt and he sat everyone. Turns out the offense needed to fucking play. All of them. The line. The WR’s. The coaches. Trubisky.

If Week 1 is any indication of things moving forward I’m ready to move on from trubisky and Nagy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Think people are overthinking it. The plan should be simple. Use the fucking talent you do have.

1. We have the No 1 D and perhaps an all time great D. We don't need an elite QB.

2. We have 2 good RBs, lean on them. Run the fucking ball, design plays to get them the ball.

3. We have a QB that can run, design plays to get him out in space so he can stretch defenses using his feet.

In short, if CK1 or young Russel Wilson can take teams to the SB being dual threat QBs that relied on the D and run game, there is no reason Trubisky can't. Trubs can easily become a decent passer and a great running QB which combined is enough to contend for a SB. Nagy just needs to stop trying to turn him into something he is not. He is not a gunslinger. He is not the next great pocket passing QB. He is a dual threat RB and the offense should be designed around that fact.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That is going to be too expensive more than likely.

Unless Alex Smith comes comically cheap they already will be paying Mitch 10 million and they have limited cap space.

If Alex Smith comes in that means they’ve given up on Mitch. At that point he gets traded because there is always a QB desperate team willing to give someone a second chance. So the cap space doesn’t worry me. Honestly this is the move that makes most sense if Mitch shits the bed the rest of the season . You get a QB who can run Nagys system and doesn’t squander the defense. Then draft a QB to take over in a couple years when Smith retires. (This is all assuming he can even play again and Mitch still sucks)

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
This drafting of a QB is not an option. Yes, he should draft one but this defense does not have time to wait on another QB to develop. The only option is a veteran. Pace would have to double up with a veteran to win now with a rookie to develop. Here is to hoping that Mitch takes a step and the Bears do not have to go that route (that would be just terrible). I wanted the Bears to draft someone like Ryan Finley this year just in case Mitch had a bad year.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alex Smith has 32 mil in dead money to the skins next year, and only a 21.4 mil contract (In other words it's cheaper for them to keep him). Add to that he MAY NEVER even play the game again. The Skins' aren't going to just "release" Alex Smith. Not sure why Windy keeps bringing him up, it's rather disingenuous.

then we have the "Alex Smith like Qb" phrase being tossed about like there is an abundance of QB's that fit into the same approximated skill level that are abundant and growing on trees. Windy, do you care to list a few of these that will be available? Nick Foles comes to mind, but he is out now too.

Which then brings you to the "we can trade up next year by bundling our two second round picks plus" crowd. The Bears two second round picks "might" get the Bears up into the mid 16-24 range at best, any higher and you will have to start bundling additional picks heading into 2021 etc. Best case scenario is any QB taken in this range is at least a 3 year project, so your looking at the 2023 to have a legit chance.

Then you have the draft a QB in the 2021 season crowd, because this is the first year the Bears actually have a 1st round pick of their own to use. Of course it's hard to fathom, even with MT not living up to expectations, that the Bears would be drafting in the top ten, so again your looking at giving up more draft capital to move up in this draft (just not as much as you gave up in 2020). So, in this scenario, lets say the Qb taken will take 2 years to have a legit shot to contend for the SB (even Pat Mahomes took two years).

That still puts you in that 2023-2024 window.

Lets take a look at some of the ages of the Bears players in 2023.

Khali Mack 31
Kyle Long 33
Ha ha clinton Dix 29
Trey Burton 30
Akeem Hicks 32
Taylor Gabriel 31
Cordale Patterson 31
Buster Skrine 33
Cody Whitehair 30
Charles Leno 30
Bobbie Massie 33
Danny Trevathon 32
Leonard Floyd 30
Kyle fuller 30
Prince Akumura 33
Allen Robinson 29

It's a pretty safe bet that at least 2/3 of these players will need to be replaced by 2023. That is going to be hard to do if Pace is giving away even more draft capital.

So, if you agree the Bears window is more likely 2019-2021, you have two options. Take a vet like Case Keenum (a cut below a healthy Alex Smith), or trade away a star player to get more draft capital. Trading away future draft capital is a recipe for disaster that will last years.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Think people are overthinking it. The plan should be simple. Use the fucking talent you do have.

1. We have the No 1 D and perhaps an all time great D. We don't need an elite QB.

2. We have 2 good RBs, lean on them. Run the fucking ball, design plays to get them the ball.

3. We have a QB that can run, design plays to get him out in space so he can stretch defenses using his feet.

In short, if CK1 or young Russel Wilson can take teams to the SB being dual threat QBs that relied on the D and run game, there is no reason Trubisky can't. Trubs can easily become a decent passer and a great running QB which combined is enough to contend for a SB. Nagy just needs to stop trying to turn him into something he is not. He is not a gunslinger. He is not the next great pocket passing QB. He is a dual threat RB and the offense should be designed around that fact.

Preach it, rem. Couldn’t have said it any better. You put your players in the best position to succeed. That’s what Nagy said he would do. If he had a better QB, his system would look great but he doesn’t have that. You change your system and run what works.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Carololina lost to tampa...

Tampa ran 31 times
Carolina 18

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
If we somehow squeeze a ring out of this team with Trubisky at QB, I’d be forever stoked. I don’t ever even remotely see a “dynasty” in this teams future without a top 5 QB

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I think regardless of how Mitch plays, the Bears need to draft a quarterback next year. Depending on how bad he is, I might consider spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on one.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I think regardless of how Mitch plays, the Bears need to draft a quarterback next year. Depending on how bad he is, I might consider spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on one.
If you spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB next year, you might as well cut Trubisky (which obviously won’t happen). No way his fragile ego will be able to play under those circumstances (not to me the media will eat him up).

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Take him for a ride in the mountains there are a lot of abandoned mine shafts and stuff.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You do realize he chose to come to Chicago because he like Trubisky right?

I highly doubt that, regardless of what he said. It was a HC opportunity. He likely would have said the same thing about the QB on any team he was HC of.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He could of had the Colts job and who knows what else had he waited past the early rush.