What Tight End Should Bears Sign In Free Agency?

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
If the Chargers let him walk, it wouldn’t surprise me to see us go after Henry. If I remember correctly there were rumors we were trying to trade up and draft him in the second rd that year. After the Chargers got him we traded back and took Whitehair.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Maybe go after a blocking TE, but other than that, I wouldn't spend big money on the position. If you've noticed, Mitch Trubisky has had more success without the TE position being emphasized. A lot of 4-wide the last 2 weeks, especially in Detroit.

But I think the team will treat this season as a wash for Burton. He was hurt. And the contract says they'll give him another chance. With Horstead developing, I don't think they necessarily need another undersized pass catching type. I'd also bring back Holtz and Dax Raymond. Also, there's no reason not to at least bring Shaheen back for training camp. Other than that, I'd draft a TE. I'd love Brycen Hopkins with one of the 2nds. If not, definitely in the 4th or with a trade down to the 3rd.

Go into camp with a depth chart of:

U- Burton, Horstead, Raymond
Y- Holtz, cheap FA (takes place of Sowell), Shaheen
Drafted TE would likely be someone that could potentially learn both roles. Not a lot of good blockers in this class, but some good size.

Reactions: DC

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I thought Sowell did pretty decent as a swing tackle in 2018...

Tell him to eat more beef block and put him back on the line.

And am I looking at Massie's numbers correctly? Looks like the Bears are stuck with him unless they can find a trade partner?

Massie's Contract Numbers

jive

Liked Posts:
Develop Holtz and Horsted. Those 2 have actually helped improve the offense the last couple of games. Let's see what they can do the remainder of the season before spending money on another FA. They have had a greater impact in the passing game than either Burton or Shaheen. We have other holes to fill on both sides of the ball that will require a high draft pick, so I don't think it would be wise to use it on a TE that can be found in later rounds or may already be on the roster.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
How the heck do y’all expect to get comp draft picks if we go free agent shopping for every position we suck at?

Jk. Any of those top TE FA would be great. I wouldn’t let Burton and his all glory be to God front hole put another foot into Halas Hall. Don’t care what his dead cap hit is.

We need to invest in G, TE, CB, and OLB (adios Floyd). Need to grab 2 guys in FA and 2 with our 2nd round picks. With the TE FA class looking pretty deep, makes sense to go after one.

As much as I’d love to upgrade the T position on either side, they aren’t the highest need and their contracts will have them back and starting next year. Get a new OL coach and see if they can get back to their previous average selves rather than brain dead just got paid dorks.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
The only way we sign Hooper given how much he'll cost is if they actually do manage to salary dump Burton and I think that's pretty unlikely. Nagy handpicked Burton so personally I think they'll keep him even if he really wants someone like Kelce!

Henry has a pretty significant injury history so would far too much of a risk given Burton is currently on IR. The rest I really wouldn't waste money given we have priorities elsewhere.

With that in mind I'd imagine they roll with Burton, Horstead and Holtz and see who they can get in the draft. Brycen Hopkins may or may not last till the 2nd. He has to be a consideration. Sadly it's not the strongest class so they need to focus elsewhere and hope Burton is fully fit for next season.

Personally think they should spend the money on a pass rusher (though I doubt there will be a decent one available) or Brandon Scherff. I'd only draft OT in the 2nd round if they want to move on from Massie (in a trade). If they did then probably Niang. A middle to right side OL of Whitehair, Scherff, Niang could be a bit of a bully. One thing to note though is the line has been a lot better since Daniels and Whitehair swapped back and I doubt they muck around with this anymore.

I just did a mock on www.thedraftnetwork.com and got Terrell Lewis (EDGE), Alabama and then had a choice of Jalen Raegor (WR), TCU, Brycen Hopkins (TE), Purdue and Bryce Hall (CB), Virginia.

If we managed to get Brandon Scherff in FA and Terrell Lewis (EDGE) in the draft and one of the above with our other 2nd rounder I think we'd have to consider a pretty reasonable offseason in terms of major pick ups and then hope Pace works his magic in the later rounds.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Have Massie lose 50 lbs and bump out to TE.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If Mitch is the QB of the future because of a couple games, can’t we just use that for the TEs too. No? Ok then I’ll take a mid-round rookie and some hlfway decent vet on a 1 year prove it deal.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hooper is in a class his own.

Hunter is next because of the injuries.

Jarwin intrigues me, but he is a RFA so I doubt he squeaks free.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
And am I looking at Massie's numbers correctly? Looks like the Bears are stuck with him unless they can find a trade partner?

At a minimum they are stuck with him through next year, no sane team is eating a $10M cap hit to cut a guy who can play (albeit not that well).