What's really behind this Sox FA signings : winning the city back

SilentLurker

Liked Posts:
Great job for the WSox for going out and getting some quality FA's this offseason. And they're not done yet!

Sox fans tell me this is a big surprise they actually spent this offseason.

But I think what they're really trying to do is take this city back from the Cubs.

The Cubs are not going to be on free tv any longer. This is a great opportunity for the Sox to gain more fans and even get some Cub fans over to watch their games if they have a good team on the field. And of course, make a new generation of fans.

The exclusive network by the Cubs is a big mistake IMO. Yesterday the Yankees reported a near 20 percent drop of viewership on their YES network and the Dodgers exclusive network isn't doing so well either. I don't think it will be any different for the Cubs network long term.

The irony is the WSox tried this exclusivity back in the early 80s with Sprotsvision. That coincided with the Cubs resurgence and this being a Cubs city since 1984. Now I think the WSox see the cubs making the same mistake nearly 40 years later.

Smart moves being made by WSox brass to take the baseball soul of this city back.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
My brother in law has already defected, sick of the price jacking on the North side and enjoys Comiskey more now that his kids are getting at the age to go.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Dodgers fan here and OP is absolutely correct about the independent network. It’s such a pain in the ass for fans me who don’t have Spectrum (the only network you can watch most Dodger games)

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
They are making moves because a ten year rebuild isn’t a good selling point for fans. They don’t make moves based on what the cubs are doing. They have been rock bottom for too long and this is a desperation move to get the fans they discarded back.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
They are making moves because a ten year rebuild isn’t a good selling point for fans. They don’t make moves based on what the cubs are doing. They have been rock bottom for too long and this is a desperation move to get the fans they discarded back.

This.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
White Sox couldn’t care less what the Cubs do honestly. They would win back to back titles and it would still be a majority cubs town for baseball. And that’s no shot to the white sox. It’s just how it is.

As a cubs fan, I hope the white sox are good and this rebuild works. It’s better overall for the city IMO

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Great job for the WSox for going out and getting some quality FA's this offseason. And they're not done yet!

But I think what they're really trying to do is take this city back from the Cubs.

The Cubs are not going to be on free tv any longer. This is a great opportunity for the Sox to gain more fans and even get some Cub fans over to watch their games if they have a good team on the field. And of course, make a new generation of fans.

The exclusive network by the Cubs is a big mistake IMO. Yesterday the Yankees reported a near 20 percent drop of viewership on their YES network and the Dodgers exclusive network isn't doing so well either. I don't think it will be any different for the Cubs network long term.

The irony is the WSox tried this exclusivity back in the early 80s with Sprotsvision. That coincided with the Cubs resurgence and this being a Cubs city since 1984. Now I think the WSox see the cubs making the same mistake nearly 40 years later.

Smart moves being made by WSox brass to take the baseball soul of this city back.

Interesting. But if they are thinking that way, they most assuredly will fail. They couldn't even out draw the Cubs in 2005 and you can't have a better season than they had that year. It's a Bears/Cubs town and always will be. The southsiders have other things in mind.

The Sox have a pretty smart GM in Hahn and he's making these moves for one reason....he believes it's time. He has his base built and it's time to fill in a few missing pieces. The moronic grumbling of impatient Sox fans is laughable....I suppose they enjoyed the Williams yearly ritual of bringing in past their prime vets which almost always failed. Hahn bit the bullet...did what was needed....took their lumps....and are now on the cusp of success. Good for him....as a Cub's fan, it's annoying but as a baseball fan, I appauld him.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Encarnacions first half last year showed what is to come. He is pretty washed up. 30 homeruns would surprise, but maybe he can at our park.

Still, what choices do they have? They tried for others and instead found a one year rental. Best they could do.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

It’s the opposite of a desperation move.

It is a well thought out strategic plan that is coming to fruition.

God Hahn could be a pioneer laying the blueprint of how to create a dynasty. Locking up your future superstars up so early that they can’t refuse the money.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

He ard this same BS in 2005

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe they tried to buy us back.

ITS WORKING!