When will it be enough of JC?

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I guess Nylander has been hanging with those two alot too.
There was an article I had read about Lehner being in Nylander ear about being better on defence. I will try to find a link to it

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
On the subject of JC's style... I initially thought I was just imagining things when I noticed that we seemed to be dumping the puck in far more than previous years under Q. Which is strange. We have a some talented carriers of the puck that we can deploy across all of our lines. Again, maybe I'm imagining things, but we seem to be dumping the puck in, not recovering it, and facing a rush going the other way. Then we wonder why we're having a hard time generating offense. I haven't seen a lot of the possession we've seen in the past this season, and we just seem to constantly be turning it over and putting our defense under pressure.

From 2016-2019 we were one of the best when it came to zone exits while dumping the puck least often in the league.

rplot.png

"The differences may seem small, but keep in mind that teams average 96 zone exits a game. That means that roughly 5 times a game, the Capitals create an offensive situation at a time where the Senators stay stuck playing defense."

Compare that chart to a chart focusing on 2018-2019...

image.png

Apparently I wasn't imagining things. We have been dumping more and our zone exit success rate is falling. I'd venture a guess that if we looked at just this season alone, our share of dumps would be higher and our exit success rate would be even lower. We're not trending in the right direction. Obviously this play style was partially why we targeted some of the more physical players we did... but it's obviously not working. This may explain why some of the core players seem more unhappy with the current play style. Kane in particular refuses to dump it in, and who can blame him. He's an elite puck carrier and should carry it in.

I could be completely full of shit too... so...

Kane, Saad, Toews, Dach, Strome...

Dach and Kane and Toews could carry the puck in all day if they let them and there is one on each line.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
as I noted over at the Sharks game thread.

shit show. worse than the Nashville game vs. a lesser opponent.

Stan and the Svedish Svengali need to be dumped. Crawford should be behind the bench Thursday night.

Marty McFly

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Oregon State Beavers
Kane, Saad, Toews, Dach, Strome...

Dach and Kane and Toews could carry the puck in all day if they let them and there is one on each line.

Interesting that Kane basically mentioned in his post game comments that the dump and chase just isn't working. He's been noticeably unhappy with our tactics, even on the ice, and now he's getting vocal about it.

I don't see JC lasting much longer.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To be 100% fair, showing up with 5 minutes left on the clock just isn't working either.

Yes, I think JC needs to be shit-canned (along with Stan), but there is some onus on the players simply not playing well or not playing smart. Does a new coach solve this? Who knows. But there is proof in the pudding here. The core was not playing much, if any better when Q was coaching last--they were still über-reliant on goaltending (mainly Crawford, and we saw what happened when he got ran and the also-rans took the crease) to carry their carcasses.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
well, that 5 minutes was when I gave up and they scored twice.

Just dont know, just know that if Q believed he lost this locker room, then I highly doubt JC ever had it. This is not detroit where a hockey god like Yzerman is calling the shots, its the kid of a great coach.

What do we do this year, instead of drafting Byram and counting on Bovquist out of camp, he spends 9 million on Maata and DeHaan. So that had him drafting offense with dach. Move up the chain and they are marketing wizards.

Q really held this together with Stan making every effort to make him want to leave.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
now. now. now.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Its time; JC has lost the locker room, and the dump and chase is not a fit for this team at all. Stan can go as well; this team has more talent than last year, and we look absolutely lost.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
well, that 5 minutes was when I gave up and they scored twice.
Sounds like a personal problem :). Seriously though it's a west coast game so I get it.

Just dont know, just know that if Q believed he lost this locker room, then I highly doubt JC ever had it. This is not detroit where a hockey god like Yzerman is calling the shots, its the kid of a great coach.
I don't think JC did either, and if he didn't it's a case of the inmates running the asylum. Looking at our core guys none of them really strikes me as "a coach" (at least not since Hossa left). Our guys don't seem to consciously think the game and articulate it--it's more like an unconscious feel for it based on innate and cultured skill. To me that's a problem. Even if JC's a bad coach--and I think he is, he's more of a coach than Toews, Kane, Keith & Seabrook. If those guys didn't at last give his systems a good college try, then they are a huge part of the problem being prima donnas.

And Q did lose the locker room. That happens a lot and I do think Q needed to be let go. I think Stan failed by going for a Yes-man over a coach that could not only put together a system the core could physically execute while trasinstioning to the younger players, but also get their buy-in by hook or by crook. Maybe Marc Crawford? I don't know. I wouldn't have minded seeing Keenan here for an attitude adjustment, though.

What do we do this year, instead of drafting Byram and counting on Bovquist out of camp, he spends 9 million on Maata and DeHaan. So that had him drafting offense with dach. Move up the chain and they are marketing wizards.
To be fair, Neither DeHaan not Maatta have been the problem.

Q really held this together with Stan making every effort to make him want to leave.
Q had his problems, like not altering his gameplan to account for age of our core players and his inability to get Keith the fuck off the powerplay. IMHO both should have been gone this past summer at the absolute latest.
See bolded. That all being said, I don't think Stan goes until the end of this year.

Last edited:

Granada

Liked Posts:
There was an article I had read about Lehner being in Nylander ear about being better on defence. I will try to find a link to it

Right now, I feel like Lehner is the best leader in the locker room currently. This is hard for me to say -- because I hated the Lehner signing, and still sort of do (I'll get into that later) -- but it's true. He's not only been the best Hawks, but he's been the best leader.

There's a lot of talk about which coach lost the locker-room, but I feel like, if anybody lost the room, it's Toews. Or at the very least, he believes he's lost it. It's hard to lead when your play sucks, and although Toews has looked better 2 out of the last 3 games, perhaps he's still tentative to lead or perhaps he's being tuned out. Lehner though? The guy is playing stellar, so it's easier to follow him; and the guy speaks his mind, which is always admirable in a room. He doesn't sugarcoat anything, which is great.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Its time; JC has lost the locker room, and the dump and chase is not a fit for this team at all. Stan can go as well; this team has more talent than last year, and we look absolutely lost.

Couple things: I don't JC ever had it (the room).

Second, I don't blame you for believing the bolded, but I never thought this. To me, this team was as shallow as last year's, with maybe the exception being defense. But when you have Nylander, Kubalik, Kampf, Caggiula, Guss all slated to start the year, these are all still very green players. We still had two out of three holes unfulfilled to start the year: top six forward and 3LC; and the one hole we did fill (top-4 D), we filled with a meh option. I wouldn't call De Haan "bad," but he also is nothing special -- and at this point, with the way the current vets are playing, this team needs someone that's special.

Rinkrat21

Liked Posts:

Interesting quotes from Keith. SB has done a lot of stupid shit and made a lot of dumb moves, and has somehow convinced the ownership of this team to follow his lead, but IMO firing Q / hiring of JC was his Picasso. Dumbest thing he has done, and the dumbest thing the ownership has allowed him to do.

The franchise is in the toilet from top to bottom.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Interesting quotes from Keith. SB has done a lot of stupid shit and made a lot of dumb moves, and has somehow convinced the ownership of this team to follow his lead, but IMO firing Q / hiring of JC was his Picasso. Dumbest thing he has done, and the dumbest thing the ownership has allowed him to do.

The franchise is in the toilet from top to bottom.
Kane is still pretty gud. also Debrinkitkat!!!

Rinkrat21

Liked Posts:

vadarx

when reason fails, the devil helps!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Right now, I feel like Lehner is the best leader in the locker room currently. This is hard for me to say -- because I hated the Lehner signing, and still sort of do (I'll get into that later) -- but it's true. He's not only been the best Hawks, but he's been the best leader.

There's a lot of talk about which coach lost the locker-room, but I feel like, if anybody lost the room, it's Toews. Or at the very least, he believes he's lost it. It's hard to lead when your play sucks, and although Toews has looked better 2 out of the last 3 games, perhaps he's still tentative to lead or perhaps he's being tuned out. Lehner though? The guy is playing stellar, so it's easier to follow him; and the guy speaks his mind, which is always admirable in a room. He doesn't sugarcoat anything, which is great.
I have to disagree with ya about Toews. I don't think he or any of the other vets have lost the room. I think they see that this system is not working, that their GM fired the coach that let them play and brought in some young guy who hasn't accomplished shit to pound round pegs into a single square hole. Toews and Co almost always say the right things after the games, but you can see it all over their faces that they don't believe what they are saying (ESPECIALLY Kane).

the coach has lost the room. he may have had it for a little bit last year when he let the players play and the team started having success, but he surely has lost it now that he refuses to change his style and insists on blaming the players repeatedly in the media....

this is just starting to reek of Bowman trying to make the core guys unhappy and wanting to move on and the longer they take to remove JC, the more I will feel like that is the endgame here....

DaHawkz24

Liked Posts:
Kubalik scratched tonight... If it isn't injury related I don't get it. He has missed some chances by shooting high or wide, but even getting those chances is much better than most of the team!

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kubalik scratched tonight... If it isn't injury related I don't get it. He has missed some chances by shooting high or wide, but even getting those chances is much better than most of the team!

I wonder who will replace him. Smith?

Rinkrat21

Liked Posts:
Another brilliant JC decision. He and SB seem to be very similar in feeling they are the smartest guys in the room, and then delusional to continue to believe it despite the results.

This is turning into a comedy series, not a sports team's season.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I have to disagree with ya about Toews. I don't think he or any of the other vets have lost the room. I think they see that this system is not working, that their GM fired the coach that let them play and brought in some young guy who hasn't accomplished shit to pound round pegs into a single square hole. Toews and Co almost always say the right things after the games, but you can see it all over their faces that they don't believe what they are saying (ESPECIALLY Kane).

the coach has lost the room. he may have had it for a little bit last year when he let the players play and the team started having success, but he surely has lost it now that he refuses to change his style and insists on blaming the players repeatedly in the media....

this is just starting to reek of Bowman trying to make the core guys unhappy and wanting to move on and the longer they take to remove JC, the more I will feel like that is the endgame here....

I don't disagree with your take on JC at all and the players reactions to him. I feel like both can be true though: Toews lost the room, and Colliton never had really had it. We were all worried -- rightfully so -- about the team being receptive to him. The proof is in the pudding.

I remember the rumblings about the young guys being down on the vets, mainly Toews, in the room. There was supposedly a rift between Hartman, Schmaltz, etc. and the vet guys/Q. I feel like there still may be a residual effect from that situation, even though many of the young guys are gone and obviously Q is gone, which was the main part of the rift (Q's penchant for favoring/giving the benefit of doubt to vets but not the young guys, etc.). Pure speculation of course, but like you say, when I hear Toews speak -- even at the very beginning of the year -- the guy sounds utterly dejected.

Rinkrat21

Liked Posts:
I don't disagree with your take on JC at all and the players reactions to him. I feel like both can be true though: Toews lost the room, and Colliton never had really had it. We were all worried -- rightfully so -- about the team being receptive to him. The proof is in the pudding.

I remember the rumblings about the young guys being down on the vets, mainly Toews, in the room. There was supposedly a rift between Hartman, Schmaltz, etc. and the vet guys/Q. I feel like there still may be a residual effect from that situation, even though many of the young guys are gone and obviously Q is gone, which was the main part of the rift (Q's penchant for favoring/giving the benefit of doubt to vets but not the young guys, etc.). Pure speculation of course, but like you say, when I hear Toews speak -- even at the very beginning of the year -- the guy sounds utterly dejected.
Ya know, when Q took over the team, how old were T&K? They were younger guys and Q had no problem favoring them. To me, Q seems like the type of coach who will favor whoever is playing good hockey the way he wants them to be playing it, whether they are old or young guys.

If Hartman and Schmaltz had an issue for not being "favored" the same as T&K, then they are delusional as well lol.