While the rest of the team struggles, Forte is fast-approaching a significant record

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Walter Payton currently has the Bears record for most receptions in a career, with 492. Forte started out this year needing 50 receptions while suiting up for the Bears to take that record, and already has 9 receptions this season.

With the rest of this offense struggling, Forte could easily get the last 41 receptions to take this record. Heck, if Cutler misses a significant number of games with the hammy, Clausen will probably dump the ball off to Forte 3-4 more times a game than he otherwise would have. The next most catches for an active Bear is 203 with Alshon Jeffrey, who will in all likelihood take the record for himself if the team resigns him and he stays relatively healthy for 4+ years.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope he gets it.

Moose27

Liked Posts:
Serious question, is Matt Forte a Hall of Famer? Why or why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
The top two receivers in franchise history are running backs.

This tells you everything you need to know about the Bears' passing game.

That we have a proud history of incredibly talented running backs?

But in all seriousness, a good WR in good health should only need 5-6 years to take that record. Hopefully Jeffrey can be the start of our franchise turning around our reputation for bad passing attacks.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:

I really don't know. His entire career most people have said how all these other backs are better but he's pretty versatile. Yet he's been quietly get record or becoming "one of only two backs in history".

Doubledown

Liked Posts:

he looks like a guy that could stay healthy till thirty five , still only half the rushing yards as walter.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I think if, over the next few years, the RB position becomes even more focused on participating in the passing game (instead of run-first, committee attacks), then he'll be heavily considered. The only real knock against him is his lack of championships, which you can't pin on him personally.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Didn't someone have a countdown thread for this? Who was it and why the fuck are they slacking?

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
His biggest knock has to be the lack of tds

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
It looks like Forte is gonna have a career year possibly. It really is a shame it will be for nothing except unnecessary miles on his body.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
The top two receivers in franchise history are running backs.

This tells you everything you need to know about the Bears' passing game.

That's because Jay Cutler has been holding the WR's back for almost 100 years.

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:

IMO no. Just comparing him to some of the more recent great RB's:

LT: 11 total seasons; 7 seasons with 1,300+ rush yards; 9 seasons with 10+ rush TD's; 3 seasons with 2,000+ yards from scrimmage; 13,000 career rush yards and 145 career TD's
Faulk: 12 total seasons; 4 seasons with 1,300+ rush yards; 5 seasons with 10+ rush TD's; 4 seasons with 2,000+ yards from scrimmage; 12,000 career rush yards and 100 career TD's
Forte: 7 total seasons (not counting this year); 1 seasons with 1,300+ rush yards; 0 seasons with 10+ rush TD's; 0 seasons with 2,000+ yards from scrimmage; 7906 career yards and 42 career TD's

Forte is an all-time Bear great, but when it's all said and done I don't think he stacks up with the elite talent, ability, or longevity of the HOF RB's.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IMO no. Just comparing him to some of the more recent great RB's:

LT: 11 total seasons; 7 seasons with 1,300+ rush yards; 9 seasons with 10+ rush TD's; 3 seasons with 2,000+ yards from scrimmage; 13,000 career rush yards and 145 career TD's
Faulk: 12 total seasons; 4 seasons with 1,300+ rush yards; 5 seasons with 10+ rush TD's; 4 seasons with 2,000+ yards from scrimmage; 12,000 career rush yards and 100 career TD's
Forte: 7 total seasons (not counting this year); 1 seasons with 1,300+ rush yards; 0 seasons with 10+ rush TD's; 0 seasons with 2,000+ yards from scrimmage; 7906 career yards and 42 career TD's

Forte is an all-time Bear great, but when it's all said and done I don't think he stacks up with the elite talent, ability, or longevity of the HOF RB's.

We will have to see on the longevity. I know that this unfortunately may be his last year here, but he only seems to get better every year. Notwithstanding a career ending injury, I think that he will have a home somewhere in the NFL for several more years.