Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Jim Bowden of The Athletic released an article of teams who will be sellers at the deadline and who could go. He listed Abreu and Colome for the White Sox:

The White Sox look like they’ll be ready to be serious contenders in 2020, and this trade deadline could be a difference-maker. With few other bats available, they should be able to get a good prospect for José Abreu, and they match well with the Rays, who desperately need a right-handed bat. Alex Colomé has had a solid year as the closer, and a trade to the Cardinals, Braves, Red Sox, Twins, Nationals or Rockies would make sense.

Full article: https://theathletic.com/1050999/201...dline-which-players-will-they-make-available/

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
At some point you have to stop being sellers or you will be in rebuild mode forever.

I get the point in regards to Abreu/Colome, but we're going to turn around next year and say "This team needs stable/veteran guys to compete"... after having traded those guys.

I would be open to trading them, but would want an absolute King's ransom.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I can't see Abreu being traded.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I can't see your face being traded!
Oh my goodness, if I could trade my face I would definitely do it. I'd love another one.

But Abreu being let go before they bring up Luis Robert is what I have trouble with, because I think they see Jose as a great mentor to the the young Latin players.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Oh my goodness, if I could trade my face I would definitely do it. I'd love another one.

But Abreu being let go before they bring up Luis Robert is what I have trouble with, because I think they see Jose as a great mentor to the the young Latin players.

Same... also he is a solid 1B... I think we're all assuming Eloy will do fine at 1B/DH once Abreu is gone.

I know Vaughn is a 1B/DH for the future, but you do still literally need a guy playing 1B.

Godamnit I sound like VicAshley

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Same... also he is a solid 1B... I think we're all assuming Eloy will do fine at 1B/DH once Abreu is gone.

I know Vaughn is a 1B/DH for the future, but you do still literally need a guy playing 1B.

Godamnit I sound like VicAshley
Whaaaaa?

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

No? Sorry this is what I've been getting from Sox fan friends IRL... Eloy sux at outfield, will move to 1B/DH when Abreu is gone.

There seems to be a common belief that 1B is easy so you just throw ur better hitters who can't field at 1B and DH the rest of the time.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
No? Sorry this is what I've been getting from Sox fan friends IRL... Eloy sux at outfield, will move to 1B/DH when Abreu is gone.

There seems to be a common belief that 1B is easy so you just throw ur better hitters who can't field at 1B and DH the rest of the time.
You're right about who you place at that position, I've just never heard of Eloy going there. You could be right, I'm just surprised.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think the feeling is that in two years Abreu won't have a great spot on this team with Vaughn behind him.

My preference is to keep Abreu though and let Abreu/Vaughn be the guys who split the DH spot. Then you can keep 2 more infielders of your choice + Moncada/Anderson

But if you factor Eloy to DH, and Vaughn to 1B...might as well keep Abreu until that starts to pan out, imo. But its doubtful Abreu will be here in 18 months if Eloy goes to DH

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I think the feeling is that in two years Abreu won't have a great spot on this team with Vaughn behind him.

My preference is to keep Abreu though and let Abreu/Vaughn be the guys who split the DH spot. Then you can keep 2 more infielders of your choice + Moncada/Anderson

But if you factor Eloy to DH, and Vaughn to 1B...might as well keep Abreu until that starts to pan out, imo. But its doubtful Abreu will be here in 18 months if Eloy goes to DH
I don't think he'll be here in 18 months, but I'm talking about this trade deadline. Maybe Eloy does to go to 1B (probably more DH) and Vaughn is fast tracked (doubt it), but it's my opinion (founded on nothing) that they'll keep him around for Robert for another calendar year.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think he'll be here in 18 months, but I'm talking about this trade deadline. Maybe Eloy does to go to 1B (probably more DH) and Vaughn is fast tracked (doubt it), but it's my opinion (founded on nothing) that they'll keep him around for Robert for another calendar year.
lets hope so....

barring an offer of elite pitching or CF near to the majors...no reason to bite on much. Blow us away, cuz we like Abreu alot.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If we get solid pitching prospect that is less than two years away I say go for it

We should be flush with cash to sign whoever we want next offseason so I’m not as worried about trading any vets. But these cheap ass mother fuckers got to spend that money.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The other way to look at this is the White Sox are also about 5 games away from being buyers.

They are promoting Cease this week. They could just as easily buy an arm or go after a cost controlled arm, or expiring arm, to get them through this season.

After what happened to them last year with the late game failures...do they really think its worth it or just let Colome close games down and build confidence when they have a chance?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Good...he is the White Sox Rizzo.

Don't trade .300 hitters with good/plus pop. If you can find your big 2, or triplets (Vaughn/Jimenez/Robert)...

fortifying that with an Abreu who rakes, is always a tough out, and then you got all kinds of speed up and down the rest of the line-up...

look the ef out.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Wouldn't Abreu get more than just a good prospect?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wouldn't Abreu get more than just a good prospect?
Tempting to snatch some young arms yeah?

Only if Jimenez and Vaughn can actually both play 1B though do I like it. I've always advised to keep him.

Trade Burger and one of the 5 surplus young outfielders for arms. They only need 1 or 2 more starting pitchers if they can have a fucking healthy year and guys come back from TJ decent enough.

I've been thinking about what the White Sox could actually hell, and its like their current starting 2B, McCann should be sold to a contender, and like Jay and maybe Garcia OF...

perhaps some bullpen arms if timeline doesn't suit the Sox. Barring an immediate win streak they should sell the present.