1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
dumb move

dennehy

Liked Posts:
That's a bit more than I'd pay, but oh well. Good guy, good hitter.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
That's a bit more than I'd pay, but oh well. Good guy, good hitter.

They took such a beating for their farce of an offseason last year Idt they are playing games this year lol

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They took such a beating for their farce of an offseason last year Idt they are playing games this year lol

Yeah, he'd already accepted the qualifying offer for one year at $17m, and they basically just extended that to three years.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Abreu/Grandal only makes sense to me if the Sox also retain McCann...but then why would you?

If you don't keep McCann, then its just odd to splurge that much money for a small upgrade and lose one of your clubhouse leaders. Catchers don't maintain their hitting for long generally either with the toll...its just a crazy investment and won't matter unless buttressed with some pitching help.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Abreu/Grandal only makes sense to me if the Sox also retain McCann...but then why would you?

If you don't keep McCann, then its just odd to splurge that much money for a small upgrade and lose one of your clubhouse leaders. Catchers don't maintain their hitting for long generally either with the toll...its just a crazy investment and won't matter unless buttressed with some pitching help.
McCann is under contract at like $4mil this year. Him and Grandal will probably DH some along with catching.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Collins too

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They might use his contract to flip him in a deal for a player
Could be, I think they will keep him, but it's good leverage either way.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
McCann benefited from a high BABIP early on. If he isn't hitting well he'll be DFA'd.

With Grandal we don't need 3 catchers. Collins is probably the regular DH and being the backup 1B and back up C.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Collins too

I didn't see much value there. Is he supposed to be good at offense or defense?

I saw a guy who might not ever be good at "catching." Like he isn't good for the pitchers. His passed balls are too many. His arm sucks. He isn't quick to the ball. HIs hands suck. And he's a .200 hitter in the pro's.

I think all we have there is a player who can hit in the beer leagues and stunt the growth of minor league pitchers.

What am I not seeing? Cuz I don't see a reason to continue that experiment....development doesn't look possible.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Is Collins even on a good MLB roster? He hit like .100 with average/below average defense in his stint lat year. Looked totally overmatched. He played well at AAA but I don't think you can you can just pencil him in the roster for a team that wants to be competitive.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Collins' second stint when he was called back up he slashed 233/343/417 . Not elite, but not terrible. No reason to think he can't be better. He didn't seem overmatched. ?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With Grandal, Abreu, McCann, and Jiminez the DH spot is certainly taken care of legitimately for the first time in my opinion since Thome.

I hope Abreu gets his fair share of DH days and they start grooming either Jiminez or Vaughn at 1B, even giving some 1B days to Grandal or McCann. Do either of those guys play some 1B to get their bats in the line-ups in their past?

Team defense might be a compounding factor with this young injury prone pitching staff, but I am thankful the White Sox recognize their time is now or never.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
With Grandal, Abreu, McCann, and Jiminez the DH spot is certainly taken care of legitimately for the first time in my opinion since Thome.

I hope Abreu gets his fair share of DH days and they start grooming either Jiminez or Vaughn at 1B, even giving some 1B days to Grandal or McCann. Do either of those guys play some 1B to get their bats in the line-ups in their past?

Team defense might be a compounding factor with this young injury prone pitching staff, but I am thankful the White Sox recognize their time is now or never.

Yes.

Grandal, Collins and probably McCann will all get time at 1B and DH.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Collins' second stint when he was called back up he slashed 233/343/417 . Not elite, but not terrible. No reason to think he can't be better. He didn't seem overmatched. ?

I don't think he can do better, and he was a joke behind the plate.

McCann and Grandall need a third catcher? Use Engel for defensive substitutions liberally instead, and it will improve our pitchers instead of frustrate.

.233 in garbage part of season, in meaningless games, Engel can almost do that and run the bases.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Am I being mean? Harsh? Honest opinion is Scwarber showed far more promise behind the plate.

It's a waste of time.