Who Will Bears Start QB in 2020? Trubisky or Foles?

Who Will Bears Start QB in 2020, Trubisky or Foles?

• Total voters

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
As health concern is something MT and NFhave in common, I hope you're wrong.
Remember last year? No pre season games for Mitch...ring a bell?

What an absolute travesty that was. Tom Brady was out there in the 3rd quarter of preseason game #3, IIRC. Nagy thinks he's so fucking clever.

Mitch and Foles should alternate series in the preseason. Continuity be damned.

msadows

Liked Posts:
If Bears don't trade Mitch, he's the starter (doubt there will be a competition).

Still think there's a shot Bears move on from Mitch on draft day & hit the reset button for new developmental QB, with Foles starting the next 2 yrs. I don't think Pace and Nagy are on the hot seat at all, despite regressing, from a 12-4 to 8-8 season. Also Nagy still hasn't drafted "his guy" yet, after inheriting Mitch.

There will be "competition". As in, a fake one for the media and fans to be happy. This happens every time there is a qb "competition". It's never a real competition.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
There will be "competition". As in, a fake one for the media and fans to be happy. This happens every time there is a qb "competition". It's never a real competition.
There is very rarely a real QB competition, but I've seen quite a few. I think there's a 50/50 chance of a real competition.

A real competition makes too much sense. Pace brought in both guys. He doesn't lose if either one succeeds. Mitch learning behind Foles makes sense. Foles backing up a renewed and better used Mitch makes sense too. They should compete.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
For what it's worth, I read Brad Biggs decidedly thinks Bears spent so much on Foles for him to be a starter, not an expensive "Mitch pusher".

What do you think?

Foles because hes a better QB. That being said Scrubisky is starting by week 6 when Foles gets hurt.

Crock84

Liked Posts:
Mitch is our QB. With a very short leash. He either improves to what he was supposed to be or it's Foles. Then Nagy is exposed and we get a new HC for 2021, Packers get Mitch for a song where he shows what he was supposed to be. Bears start their overpaid terminal back up because Foles has a season ending injury by game 6.
Bears football! ?
You dont sound like a true Bears fan to me ?‍♂️ I'm a realist but I also like to hope for the best. Bears football is a QB away from competing for a Bowl. Were not far off if you really think about it and look at out roster and what it is now compared to when Pace took over 4 or 5 years ago. Come on man!

TheMarshallPlan

Ladies: Libertarians Do It Better!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Mitch starts the season and he'll have to really stink up the joint to get pulled.

Pace can't fail with Mitch because it'll cost him his job and Nagy knows that. They are gonna trot Mitch out there come hell or high water. Only if after Mitch totally shits the bed will they start Foles and then hope they still make the playoffs to save themselves.

mecha

Liked Posts:
You dont sound like a true Bears fan to me ?‍♂️ I'm a realist but I also like to hope for the best. Bears football is a QB away from competing for a Bowl. Were not far off if you really think about it and look at out roster and what it is now compared to when Pace took over 4 or 5 years ago. Come on man!

you mean a whole offense. Tyler Bray will get his moment in the preseason and crush all adversaries. then we can start the loop over again about how Bray is a doodie head and 60% of the population here will want Trubisky back.

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Mitch starts the season and he'll have to really stink up the joint to get pulled.

Pace can't fail with Mitch because it'll cost him his job and Nagy knows that. They are gonna trot Mitch out there come hell or high water. Only if after Mitch totally shits the bed will they start Foles and then hope they still make the playoffs to save themselves.
Only wins will save their jobs, so they’ll go with the one they trust. You don’t pay all that money to someone to ride pine.

What have they done so far that makes anyone think they’re still all in on Mitch, signing Graham? If they were that determined to see Mitch successful then you’d have seen free agency signings centred around him, they’re not.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Biggs is clueless. He's about the last beat writer I listen to. Too busy eating powdered donuts to see the field.

Biggs wasn't the only beat writer who thought Mitch didn't look that good.

By Dan Wiederer
Chicago Tribune |​
Aug 11, 2019 | 1:42 PM

3. How much progress has Mitch Trubisky made as he heads into his third season as the Bears starter?

Camp assessment
As the Bears leave Bourbonnais, Chicago is left with a bit of a “Choose Your Own Adventure.” On the one hand, teammates have continued to praise everything about the soon-to-be 25-year-old quarterback, lauding his leadership, work ethic and attention to detail. Coaches have also emphasized how much progress Trubisky has made in operating the huddle, making pre-snap reads, properly setting protections, correctly diagnosing defenses and sharpening his touchdown-to-checkdown mentality. For those who choose to put the most stock in those in-house evaluations, it’s reasonable to expect Trubisky will have one of the best seasons a Bears quarterback has ever had.
“Mentally, with the things he’s recognizing and the questions he’s asking, it’s clear he’s taken the next step,” quarterbacks coach Dave Ragone said.

Bears quarterback Mitch Trubisky during drills at training camp on Aug. 6, 2019.

Bears quarterback Mitch Trubisky during drills at training camp on Aug. 6, 2019.(Jose M. Osorio / Chicago Tribune)

On the other hand, Trubisky hasn’t exactly passed the eye test since camp began. For every flash of brilliance, there’s been a warning sign or two that 2019 may remain a bit of a roller coaster for the offense. There have been too many interceptions, too many throws that are off the mark and too many days where the quarterback and his offense have been uneven. Yes, they’re playing against that aforementioned elite Bears defense. And yes, training camp will always have some trial-and-error dynamics at play. But to the naked eye, Trubisky has looked like a developing middle-tier quarterback and far from an MVP candidate. For those who choose to acknowledge that assessment, the bumps in the road will feel far less jarring when the season begins.

What’s next?
The objective realist — an endangered species in 2019 — will likely choose the path in between the two roads above, recognizing Trubisky’s current weaknesses while still feeling encouraged by his continued growth and long-term potential. Trubisky likely won’t be good enough in Year 3 to carry the Bears all the way to the Super Bowl. (He may not have to be.) And he won’t likely struggle enough to torpedo the Bears’ playoff hopes either. So can Bears fans handle another season in the gray area, another year that could very well end with a hung verdict and more divisive debate on whether their quarterback is a championship-caliber playmaker or just a giant tease?
The most important reminder for the Bears is that while the Week 1 showdown with the Packers will carry incredible anticipation and a playoff feel, it’s just the first of 16 games. Trubisky doesn’t need to be a finished product by Labor Day. But he does need to show significant progress between now and New Year’s Eve for the Bears’ Super Bowl hopes to have real validity.
On Sunday, Nagy talked about scaling back on how much the Bears have been installing offensively and remembering to stick with plays that are familiar and are within the offense’s core concepts.
“Let's get back to just playing fast and that sort of thing,” Nagy said. “We'll figure out what we like and what we don't like. But we've hit that limit of testing them. It's time to pull back now and start gearing up so that these young guys and the vets can start getting more and more confidence.”

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
The old expression is if you have two QBs, you have no QBs.

Mitch should have the upper hand since he has been in the system, but if Foles starts to click with Nagy and the team, I would hope that Nagy goes into the season with the hot hand.

The reality is that since Mitch was a #2 pick and we traded for Foles and we are paying him starter money, the Coaching staff and Front Office should not be hesitant to start either one, because we are heavily invested in BOTH.

The Best QB gets the start and a short leash, is my hope.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Barring an injury is 100% sure imho that Trubisky will start week 1

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah it was widely reported that Trubs struggled in camp to the point that Nagy addressed it claiming it was no biggie.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
Yea. All them teams getting rid of Foles were thinking the same thing

Agreed. I'm not saying Foles is the answer, but I am saying Trubisky has proven he's not the answer for this team.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yeah it was widely reported that Trubs struggled in camp to the point that Nagy addressed it claiming it was no biggie.

I went there 4-5 days last year and saw no "struggle", but I guess when its dudes in shorts you need to report anything you can.

msadows

Liked Posts:
As in, he wasn't missing wide open dudes like he did in the regular season.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The old expression is if you have two QBs, you have no QBs.

Mitch should have the upper hand since he has been in the system, but if Foles starts to click with Nagy and the team, I would hope that Nagy goes into the season with the hot hand.

The reality is that since Mitch was a #2 pick and we traded for Foles and we are paying him starter money, the Coaching staff and Front Office should not be hesitant to start either one, because we are heavily invested in BOTH.

The Best QB gets the start and a short leash, is my hope.

Well, you just said it...Reason mitch gets the first shot in this "QB Competition" is because he's the #2 pick.

The 15m foles has against the cap is a one year figure. The #2 overall pick, if mitch fails, is something that hurts your franchise years down the road.

Reactions: Myk

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As in, he wasn't missing wide open dudes like he did in the regular season.

Different pressure in camp than in games, this makes me think that Trubisky is not talented enough to succeed despite some head scratchers decisions and not polished enough to succeed despite not having a great talent per se, 100% hoping to be wrong of course