Who will Pace trade UP fir

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Only in Remy Land is Roquan Smith a college one year wonder. Instead of arguing something this ridiculous just admit you’re wrong .... like a normal person..... and move along.

I guess I am confused. I am offering my opinion not anyone else's. I have stated my reasons for calling him a one year wonder. You and others are free to disagree as again no skin off my back. The larger point about Pace still stands whether you agree with my reasoning on Roquan or not but the reality is I have held this opinion since the before the draft as I was never a fan of his.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Trading up is a completely logical and I would say even likely scenario considering the way Pace has drafted in the past. There is a reason Pace has conscientiously acquired players in the offseason that did not go against comp picks (Jimmy Graham, Artie Burns, Ifedi, Mingo). Pace is trying to build some draft equity in the case he wants to move around, which we all know is a given.

If there is a 1st round talent available at the beginning of the 2nd I see no reason why Pace wouldn't and shouldn't try and trade up, even if for only a few picks A player like Josh Jones, Jonathan Taylor, Antoine Winfield, JK Dobins, Cesar Ruiz all would be great additions and would be like getting a 1st round talent. Why not try and see what we can package up? With the two extra projected 6th round comp picks I'm willing to package up at least one of them and a 2021 3rd/4th pick to move up and get the right player.

Also, I wouldn't completley rule out trading into the 1st round and eye Jacksonville, Miami, and New England as partners.

Jacksonville - Has two 1st rounders and plenty of picks sprinkled throughout the draft. I'm sure they wouldn't mind working out a deal where they can turn some of their draft capital into picks for 2021

Miami - The Dolphins have so many picks, I'm not sure they know what to do with them all. They should look to accumulating some picks for 2021. Both #26 and #39 will probably be candidates for them to trade out of.

New England - they have a 1st and plenty of draft picks after the mid 3rd round, but nothing between. They would probably be open to trading for both our 2nds if we want their 1st and one of their late 3rd round picks.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I guess I am confused. I am offering my opinion not anyone else's. I have stated my reasons for calling him a one year wonder. You and others are free to disagree as again no skin off my back. The larger point about Pace still stands whether you agree with my reasoning on Roquan or not but the reality is I have held this opinion since the before the draft as I was never a fan of his.

Roquan wasn’t a one year wonder at UGA. He was a stud. Stats always don’t tell the whole story. It was a safe and smart pick by Pace.

I actually can’t really get on Pace about the Kevin White pick. Crazy athletic traits, just had freak injuries. No GM can predict that. If it had been Belichick, people would just say, man, what horrible luck. Everyone had White predicted in the range where he was drafted.

Mitch in the other hand, that’s all on Pace, and may eventually cost him his job.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
If I had to guess it'd be Jordan Love.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Roquan wasn’t a one year wonder at UGA. He was a stud. Stats always don’t tell the whole story. It was a safe and smart pick by Pace.

I actually can’t really get on Pace about the Kevin White pick. Crazy athletic traits, just had freak injuries. No GM can predict that. If it had been Belichick, people would just say, man, what horrible luck. Everyone had White predicted in the range where he was drafted.

Mitch in the other hand, that’s all on Pace, and may eventually cost him his job.

If that is your opinion then do you. Again I was using the term to refer to someone who does not have multiple standout seasons. Deshaun Watson was a stud. He has conference honors for multiple years. Jamal Adams is a stud. He had conference honors in 2015 and 2016. There are plenty of prospects that have multiple great years in college.

Roquan was not one of them. He had a decent year and then followed it up with an actual great year. 95 tackles with ZERO sacks and 4.5 TFL is not anything to write home about. 137 tackls 14.5 TFL and 6.5 sacks is legit production hence all the awards. I appreciate stats don't tell the whole story but when I talk about one hit wonder I am talking about their actual production. Like I have Reagor as my no 1 WR but I accept that statistically he is a one hit wonder. Now there may be a reason for that ie shitty QB play in 2019 but doesn't change the fact that production was he only has one standout year. Of course, I am fine taking that chance in the 2nd round vs with a top 10 pick.

As for Pace drafting, the reality is everyone had Trubs as likely top 10 QB. The reality is that just about every top 10 pick ever taken can be justified by saying "well others had him high." That is irrelevant. Again I keep asking this but no one seems to want to answer it.

Can you name another GM that blew 3 out of 4 top ten picks in quick succession? I am not critical of Pace because he blew one top 10 pick as all GMs blow picks. I am critical of him because management to blow 3 top 10 picks. Few GMs fuck up that royally and I don't care if people feel some of those fucks up can be explained. That shit does not matter. If I fucked up 3 out of 4 times in such a high profile way then my job would rightfully be on the line. It is as simple as that.

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
If that is your opinion then do you. Again I was using the term to refer to someone who does not have multiple standout seasons. Deshaun Watson was a stud. He has conference honors for multiple years. Jamal Adams is a stud. He had conference honors in 2015 and 2016. There are plenty of prospects that have multiple great years in college.

Roquan was not one of them. He had a decent year and then followed it up with an actual great year. 95 tackles with ZERO sacks and 4.5 TFL is not anything to write home about. 137 tackls 14.5 TFL and 6.5 sacks is legit production hence all the awards.

As for Pace drafting, the reality is everyone had Trubs as likely top 10 QB. The reality is that just about every top 10 pick ever taken can be justified by saying "well others had him high." That is irrelevant. Again I keep asking this but no one seems to want to answer it.

Can you name another GM that blew 3 out of 4 top ten picks in quick succession?

Well, to be fair about the roquan pick, his freshman year was basically a redshirt and he didnt start his sophmore year for 3 games. His first FULL season as a start was his junior year when he destroyed. This is not a one year wonder story. It happens with plenty of top 10 picks. Having a gradual improvement is usually an indicator that the player is a very safe pick. He had very few holes in his game in college and it transitioned to the pros.

We can probably both agree that Wagner and Keuchly were the two best linebackers in the NFL, he had a lower passer rating against than both those studs. Smith is going to be very very good for this team for a very very long time.

Also, the nfl average for 1st round pick success rate is 53%. So the average is 2/4.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Outside of the first round pace has done a fantastic job in the draft. We should have him make a poll on CCS to pick the future first round picks so when you guys all fuck it up you have nothing to cry about.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Pace would only trade up to the 1st round for 2 players...

Tua or Jordan Love.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well, to be fair about the roquan pick, his freshman year was basically a redshirt and he didnt start his sophmore year for 3 games. His first FULL season as a start was his junior year when he destroyed. This is not a one year wonder story. It happens with plenty of top 10 picks. Having a gradual improvement is usually an indicator that the player is a very safe pick. He had very few holes in his game in college and it transitioned to the pros.

We can probably both agree that Wagner and Keuchly were the two best linebackers in the NFL, he had a lower passer rating against than both those studs. Smith is going to be very very good for this team for a very very long time.

Also, the nfl average for 1st round pick success rate is 53%. So the average is 2/4.

You are arguing something else entirely. I am not claiming all one year wonders are created equal but it is simply the case that he only had one standout season. 95 tackles with ZERO sacks, ZERO ints and only 4.5 TFL is simply not a standout season. Whether you consider him a safe pick is another question altogether. I understood the rationale for the pick but he was not my top choice as I debated this with others at the time.

Roquan has a lot of potential but no where near it yet. He is not a top 10 ILB in NFL at this point and Leonard is most certainly better.

If NFL average is 2/4 then that makes Pace below average. And there is a distinction here you are missing. I didn't ask about 1st round success. Pace didn't merely have 4 first rounds throughout the draft. He had 4 top 10 picks and I asked can you name another GM that has blown 3 out of 4 top 10 picks in quick succession?

I don't think Pace is a bad GM. I think he is a severely overrated GM by Bears fans. In terms of drafting he is average at best and needed Trubs to succeed to be above average to good. If Trubs continues to fail then he drops to below average for me unless some guys from the 2018 or 2019 drafts really blow up. I would also say he has largely sucked in what I would call the money rounds ie 1-3, Let's exclude 2018 and 2019 as perhaps not enough time to truly get a sense for them.

1 - White, Floyd, Trubs
2 - Goldman, Whitehair, Shaheen
3 - Grasu,Bullard

That is 6 out of 8 picks that were basically busts relative to draft position. That is terrible dude. He has pretty much sucked drafting early and it is the later rounds that have saved him.

Now with 2018 and 2019, he has Smith, Daniels, Miller and Monty. He is going to need to hit on all of them to really break even and the only one I really feel has a good chance to be a top player at his position is Smith.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1st Rd? None.

He will hopefully trade down with 1 or both the 2nd rounders, and maybe trade up higher with the 3rd or 4th picked up from said tradedown. Give up some of those many 5th-7th Rd picks or maybe a pick from next year (as he likes to do)

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The only player you trade up for is a QB.

He needs to stop wasting future picks. The Bears need young, cheap, depth and competition.

A.C. Milan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Outside of the first round pace has done a fantastic job in the draft. We should have him make a poll on CCS to pick the future first round picks so when you guys all fuck it up you have nothing to cry about.

To be a NFL GM surely is not an easy job, with that being said, your point here is invalid, the wrong choices we'd make do not justify at all the ones made by a GM who earns a lot of money, has scouts and has the chance to meet with the players, i don't care if Remy would fuck up every pick, if Pace picks the player i want and then this player sucks i have all the rights to criticize the choice

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The thing is people are acting like if one of us were GM, we would get a pass. The reality is if I were GM and I fucked up 3 out of 4 top 10 picks then I would fully understand the criticism and fully realize that the McCaskeys would have every right to fire me. There are always arguments I could make to defend myself but at the end of the day, every GM is accountable for their actual results.

I can't walk into the McCaskey's office and be like, "Well you see what had happened was Kevin White, Floyd and Trubisky were rated highly by everyone else." If I were the McCaskey's I would say, "Yeah but I am the owner of the Bears and I am evaluating you not everyone else. The only GM in this current reality that actually took them was you. What someone else would have done is irrelevant because you actually drafted them and what is your response to the question of whether they actually produced on the field to justify your drafting them?"

Some of these guys would get themselves fired by trying to justify an obvious failed pick because no one likes to hear excuses when the results were so clearly poor. The way to answer that is not with excuses. It is to man the fuck up, admit they weren't worth the pick thus far and lay out a plan for avoiding the same mistakes while highlighting your actual successes ie Mack, Hicks, ARob, Jackson, etc. Then hope and pray those actual successes offset the obvious failures. But this hemming and hawing trying to explain how others had them rated high or injuries derailed them is dumb. No one wants to hear that shit.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Roquan was not one of them. He had a decent year and then followed it up with an actual great year. 95 tackles with ZERO sacks and 4.5 TFL is not anything to write home about. 137 tackls 14.5 TFL and 6.5 sacks is legit production hence all the awards. I appreciate stats don't tell the whole story but when I talk about one hit wonder I am talking about their actual production. Like I have Reagor as my no 1 WR but I accept that statistically he is a one hit wonder. Now there may be a reason for that ie shitty QB play in 2019 but doesn't change the fact that production was he only has one standout year. Of course, I am fine taking that chance in the 2nd round vs with a top 10 pick.

Can you name another GM that blew 3 out of 4 top ten picks in quick succession? I am not critical of Pace because he blew one top 10 pick as all GMs blow picks. I am critical of him because management to blow 3 top 10 picks. Few GMs fuck up that royally and I don't care if people feel some of those fucks up can be explained. That shit does not matter. If I fucked up 3 out of 4 times in such a high profile way then my job would rightfully be on the line. It is as simple as that.

Woah woah woah, you have Jalen Reagor as the #1 WR in the entire draft????? Omg

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
I think you have to think Pace realizes he sucks early on, and that's why he was comfortable trading away those first rounders for Mack while getting the additional second.

I like what he's done here and I think this time he won't trade and get two solid potential starters in the 2nd where he and the scouts seem to hit more on their players.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

the profiles on White were GLOWING. No one could have predicted he’d be that bad. I blame Pace for Trubisky but not for White. That’s just shit luck IMO.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The only player you trade up for is a QB.

He needs to stop wasting future picks. The Bears need young, cheap, depth and competition.

The Bears need a RG. RG is the single most important position in the NFL and until they get it right nothing else matters. So I’d trade up for a RG.

msadows

Liked Posts:
the profiles on White were GLOWING. No one could have predicted he’d be that bad. I blame Pace for Trubisky but not for White. That’s just shit luck IMO.

Shit, a lot of people had him as a top 3 prospect in that draft. Most thought he had the upside to best the best WR in the NFL. He was an absolute monster that one year at WVU. I still like the pick, and I'm fairly certain if you had started a poll predraft in 2015 that 95% of this forum would have picked KW as the pick.