Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
The cubs have a center field competition brewing in Spring Training. Both Almora and Happ have been solid so far. Who wins the job?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Almora needs to be graded on what he is doing now, not how well he hit lefties in 2017. Agree on letting Happ take the Zo role and actually play a bunch of positions like zo did in his earlier days, not just 2B and corner outfield.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am rooting for Almora as he has the better glove, and it would allow Happ to play other positions and be that super sub or possible trade bait.

I like them both but for different reasons.....love Almora's glove but I would really would like to see Happ develop into the lead off hitter they've been searching for. He needs to be a bit more selective plus he's a switch hitter and can run a bit.....cut down the K's and improve the OBP and he could be the guy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Regular season is not the same animal as spring is.

So right now it looks like Almora. For nothing else than justifying a #6 draft pick by Jed and Theo.

but what happens from Apr 1-15 >all of March

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Regular season is not the same animal as spring is.

So right now it looks like Almora. For nothing else than justifying a #6 draft pick by Jed and Theo.

but what happens from Apr 1-15 >all of March

Yeah, so put him on the bench just in case he does not keep hitting sounds like a Maddon plan.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Almora is a potential gold glove outfielder but he has no bat...thus far he's been a bust given his draft status.

Supposedly he's made some changes to his batting stance and has done well in Spring ball but it needs to carry over...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yeah, so put him on the bench just in case he does not keep hitting sounds like a Maddon plan.

If Happ is putting up some solid numbers and Almora goes back to a .225 hitter guess what happens?

I believe that there will be a strait platoon and what is happening right now is a non factor. What matters is Almora was given Arb so he will be in the mix.

But for sure. If Almora breaks out he will be the starter. That is a no brain issue. But April is when the games matter. Not spring training where pitchers are tossing 20 pitches and sitting down for the day.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Almora is a potential gold glove outfielder but he has no bat...thus far he's been a bust given his draft status.

Supposedly he's made some changes to his batting stance and has done well in Spring ball but it needs to carry over...

That is why I am not writing him off right now. He did make an adjustment. But ya it is his bat that justifies his playing time. Not his glove.

Heyward is a great defender also. But you can't justify having 2 guys that are all glove and little O. It goes both ways. You can not complain about one having no bat and all glove and then go Yippy with the other.

That is called being a hypocrite.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
That is why I am not writing him off right now. He did make an adjustment. But ya it is his bat that justifies his playing time. Not his glove.

Heyward is a great defender also. But you can't justify having 2 guys that are all glove and little O. It goes both ways. You can not complain about one having no bat and all glove and then go Yippy with the other.

That is called being a hypocrite.

Heyward sucks too no doubt and has become a bad signing. Cubs are trying to get their moneys worth with Heyward's bloated contract.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Last year they told him he had to hit righties better to play more. He did. Ended up hitting lefties worse, but Joe used him like it was 2017 when he could only hit lefties well and he got starts against lefties.

I really dont think Ross is going to be a platoon guy on 2 positions, hopefully he never puts Heyward in center.

I think he utilizes Happ for days off for a bunch of positions. So he might play every day, but lf, rf, cf. 2b, 3b, 1b.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Heyward sucks too no doubt and has become a bad signing. Cubs are trying to get their moneys worth with Heyward's bloated contract.

I'm expecting Heyward getting 400 PA and Souza getting the rest.

CF out of the box you can expect Happ getting 400 PA there and Almora getting the rest. So it should be a strait platoon.

Now I know many think Happ will move around but I do not see this being a thing unless injury happens and they have to adjust.

But I see Bote as the main UI and Kipnis taking over the main 2B. The experience should be end up winning that job.

Descalso IMO should be cut. But I doubt that they will do so.

garapp

Liked Posts:
If Happ is putting up some solid numbers and Almora goes back to a .225 hitter guess what happens?

I believe that there will be a strait platoon and what is happening right now is a non factor. What matters is Almora was given Arb so he will be in the mix.

But for sure. If Almora breaks out he will be the starter. That is a no brain issue. But April is when the games matter. Not spring training where pitchers are tossing 20

pitches and sitting down for the day.
Yeah I think platoon is the reality of the situation
And what's so bad with that?? Almost all teams platoon somewhere in the lineup

And again spring training stats mean nothing Albert will hit around .230 and hit 10 or 12 homers. That's what he does

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Yeah I think platoon is the reality of the situation
And what's so bad with that?? Almost all teams platoon somewhere in the lineup

And again spring training stats mean nothing Albert will hit around .230 and hit 10 or 12 homers. That's what he does

Its fine if he is still deserving of being platooned.

Yeah he blows, only Heyward gets away with hitting .240 for 26 million.

But look at last years splits.

Hit .247 10 home runs 24 rbi's against righties

Hit .213 2 home runs 8 rbi's against lefties.

Why do you want to start him against lefties?

Happ is also better against righties. Dont know what people have against competition.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its fine if he is still deserving of being platooned.

Yeah he blows, only Heyward gets away with hitting .240 for 26 million.

But look at last years splits.

Hit .247 10 home runs 24 rbi's against righties

Hit .213 2 home runs 8 rbi's against lefties.

Why do you want to start him against lefties?

Happ is also better against righties. Dont know what people have against competition.
He has been better against lefties his entire career until last year. Its likely an outlier. His OPS is significantly better against lefties than righties in his career. The Cubs, as a whole. were terrible against lefties last year. Its just one of those weird things. They were great against them for 3 years prior. I would assume it goes back to that then the one year of bad.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
I think the answer is Jason Heyward.

The reason is that I think Souza might come out of the gate looking like God at the plate. If you're going to play a defensive whiz who isn't hitting as well as Souza in center, then the start goes to JayHey. After a couple of plate appearances, or when you want a rightie in there to face a leftie pitcher later in the game, Heyward comes out and Almora comes in.

After all, if Souza comes up to where his ceiling is, you would have two players, Schwarber and Souza, who can't really sit half the time and ought not be a platoon in left. If both should be starting, then you go with your best defender in center. Also, that opens up Happ to be a starting 2B option, or the first option off the bench to replace fumble-fingers Kipnis.

-New Doug

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
And just to add, no, I wouldn't just sit Heyward's ass. Even with a 26th man this year, what is worth more to you on the bench -- a guy who can go give you a defensive upgrade in late innings, or a guy who can come in to pinch-hit with men on base? I'd rather have both Happ and Almora on the bench, as they are far more valuable pinch-hitters at this point than Heyward is. And in general, pinch hitting is more valuable than late-inning defensive upgrades, seeing as the latter only comes into play when you go into the late innings with a decent lead.

Also, BTW, everyone thinking that Almora is such a great defensive option in CF, please note what bulking up his previously skinny frame, to improve his hitting, did to his defense last year. At his current playing weight, he is not a better center fielder than Happ or, really, nearly every other OF we have. While trying to become a better hitter, he's working himself into being a corner outfielder.

-New Doug

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Happ flashed the leather with a nice catch in the first inning yesterday.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the answer is Jason Heyward.

The reason is that I think Souza might come out of the gate looking like God at the plate. If you're going to play a defensive whiz who isn't hitting as well as Souza in center, then the start goes to JayHey. After a couple of plate appearances, or when you want a rightie in there to face a leftie pitcher later in the game, Heyward comes out and Almora comes in.

After all, if Souza comes up to where his ceiling is, you would have two players, Schwarber and Souza, who can't really sit half the time and ought not be a platoon in left. If both should be starting, then you go with your best defender in center. Also, that opens up Happ to be a starting 2B option, or the first option off the bench to replace fumble-fingers Kipnis.

-New Doug

Why would you say this? I'm not an authority on Kipnis as I don't watch many American Lg. games but he does have a lifetime .984 fielding % which is fairly good for a middle infielder. While he may have range issues....he does appear to catch what he gets to. Curious on what gave you that impression of him.