Who would be your #1 FA Target?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For me it would be TE Austin Hooper from Atlanta.

There are interior lineman that are better, but there are far fewer TEs and they take longer to make an immediate impact.

The Bears need a starting TE week 1 and that is a lot to ask of a rookie. The Bears arguably have the worst TE group in the NFL in an offense that is based around the TE.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Im going with Glasgow for RG. I think they will trust in Burton and Holtz, add-ons a mid level vet to the mix to replace Shaheen.

Depending on what the pass rusher market looks like, I could see us making a slight splash there as well.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
90% of all emphasis in the off season will be on the offensive line and Tight End. The Bears management likes the tight ends that the Bears have right now ( I don't), but don't like their unavailability. They said this must be addressed, McCaskey actually said tight end before anything when he spoke at the press conference. If you want a tight end that is going to be available Week 1, you must get that through free agency, as you cannot draft a tight end and assume he will be immediately available. Therefore, I agree with Windy, they will go TE in free agency, either Hooper or Ebron.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
For me it's RG. I suspect the Bears will go with budget options on TE (expecting just Holtz or maybe a backup level TE in FA) because Burton is still on the roster and theoretically still able to play at a high level if recovered. Burtons situation raises a shit ton of red flags - he's now had 2 surgeries for injuries not suffered on the field, and has a history of mental question marks given 2018 PO game, and I'm not sold he has it in him to be a reliable starter in the league anymore. But I think Pace slowplays the TE position.

Aside from RG, I think OLB is the biggest area for the Bears to improve their roster while reducing costs. Floyd at $13m, or even a restructured $7m is frankly not a high value player. I think the Bears can realistically get someone better and cheaper in FA for the same price, and would hope the Bears take advantage of that. But I have doubts that Pace is pragmatic enough to upgrade here at the cost of one of "his" guys.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
For me it would be TE Austin Hooper from Atlanta.

There are interior lineman that are better, but there are far fewer TEs and they take longer to make an immediate impact.

The Bears need a starting TE week 1 and that is a lot to ask of a rookie. The Bears arguably have the worst TE group in the NFL in an offense that is based around the TE.

How much do you think it would cost to get A.Hooper? It's gonna cost quite a bit with how good he's been the last couple of years. I think we're all pretty sure Burton will be back just cause it doesn't make any sense to cut him and still pay him pretty much his entire 2020 salary so do you think having that much invested in the TE position is a good idea with us being low on cap money? I would love to get Hooper or Henry but Henry scares me more with his injury history even though he's a top 5 TE in the NFL when healthy.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Idk who all the fa yet we kind of early for this. But I’m not signing any blockbuster deals. We already did that with the e jack extension. I’m not breaking the bank on any players I think we should be looking at value signings

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
How much do you think it would cost to get A.Hooper? It's gonna cost quite a bit with how good he's been the last couple of years. I think we're all pretty sure Burton will be back just cause it doesn't make any sense to cut him and still pay him pretty much his entire 2020 salary so do you think having that much invested in the TE position is a good idea with us being low on cap money? I would love to get Hooper or Henry but Henry scares me more with his injury history even though he's a top 5 TE in the NFL when healthy.

Not the ultimate authority, but Spotrac is usually close. They have Hooper estimated at $10m a year, and Henry at $8.8m a year. I would be very nervous about the Henry contract given the injury history, team can potentially frontload the contracts garuanteed money to first 2-2.5 seasons but the Bears probably are least likely to be able to do that given Burtons 2020 cap hold.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I think dumping more money into a FA tight end doesn't offer much value. Spend a mid round pick on a TE and get decent production.

Tight Ends more than any other position is the hardest to translate. Check out all the top tight ends rookie numbers. You'd be surprised. I think Evan Engram putting together a decent rookie season but that is it.

If the Bears want production from tight end next year they have to look at FA.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

4/44 20 guaranteed

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Tight Ends more than any other position is the hardest to translate. Check out all the top tight ends rookie numbers. You'd be surprised. I think Evan Engram putting together a decent rookie season but that is it.

If the Bears want production from tight end next year they have to look at FA.

I also think it is easier to find a plug and play interior lineman.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think dumping more money into a FA tight end doesn't offer much value. Spend a mid round pick on a TE and get decent production.

That isn't really realistic. It is a position that does not really translate well.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
A TE? Come on. Not even going to get many targets.

Best OLB available that is a scheme fit whether that is clowney, Fowler jr or Lawson.

Close 2nd would be a real LT.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
A TE? Come on. Not even going to get many targets.

Best OLB available that is a scheme fit whether that is clowney, Fowler jr or Lawson.

Close 2nd would be a real LT.

TE is the worst position on the team in a offense that relies on it.

OLB and LT cannot happen for salary cap reasons.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There are like a total of 5 TEs in the offseason, FA and draft, that I would be comfortable starting

Hooper
Henry
Kmet
Hopkins
Albert O

I can list 10 OGs in the draft I can think can start and 5-6 in free agency that would be huge upgrades

Scherff
Thuney
Glasgow
Spain

Humphry
Biadasz
Cushenberry
Bresedon
T Smith
I Wilson
Simpson

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I think allot of you need a reality check. That cap figure might look big but we have a shit load of free agents. Get real with expectations

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

But if we got one of Hooper or Henry and Burton came into next season that would make a huge difference to our offense just with that.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
4/44 20 guaranteed

$11 per is a lot with us already low on cap space but he would be big for our offense and then we could cut Burton after next season.