Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I don't think bridgewater will do much as a starter even if it was for the saints

but if you think nagy calls games the same or gets the same crappy results with a better qb, you are deluded
A better QB would get better results because...well... he is better. That aint Teddy Bridgewater.

And If you think that the best thing to do with a struggling QB was to abandon the run game...zoinks. Both deserve blame, but Nagy far more so for last years results. His playcalling went against everything that any decent coach would have done.

He was like that dad that catches his kid chewing tobacco and then makes him chew the whole can, except he did it with a QB struggling in an offense and forced him to play like the NFL was a 7 on 7 drill with no accounting for a run game. It was inexcusable, he admitted it, yet did it nearly every week.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
If his asking price includes the rest of the New Orleans offense and their playbook, I'd be open to it. I just don't see his play translating to Chicago and our supporting cast and coaching team. Not to mention, if it doesn't work out, we'd be in QB cap hell for the foreseeable future.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A better QB would get better results because...well... he is better. That aint Teddy Bridgewater.

And If you think that the best thing to do with a struggling QB was to abandon the run game...zoinks. Both deserve blame, but Nagy far more so for last years results. His playcalling went against everything that any decent coach would have done.

He was like that dad that catches his kid chewing tobacco and then makes him chew the whole can, except he did it with a QB struggling in an offense and forced him to play like the NFL was a 7 on 7 drill with no accounting for a run game. It was inexcusable, he admitted it, yet did it nearly every week.

first, running the ball is not magic

but anyway, I agree that nagy was forcing trubs to rise up to his O or to fail miserably. but I don't hate that. They could have won some more games, but to what end? Another contract for trubs so the bears can wallow in mediocrity? Fuck that. I'd just as soon nagy did what he needed to in order to make up his mind about trubs. maybe he (hopefully) proved something to pace

but yeah, teddy is def not the guy

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
TB does not project much better than what he was when he was younger.

He is a game manager and nothing more. There is no real reason to believe that he will excel outside the NO system.

TB's interest comes from a lack of talent in the pool of potential FA and the desperation some teams have to find somebody.
This is literally a great off season to go after a QB. Da fuck?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears meatballs in few force. Teddy is a safe pickup. He reads through his progressions well. Runs when it calls for it and makes little mistakes. He is a leader and well like. He is like the complete opposite of Mitch and for all the chest thumping around here if yall just had an average QB yall be super bowl bound. Teddy would be the pick. He isnt going to be elite, but he is intelligent and hard working.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I still remember him from his Viking days, that what would prevent me from pulling the trigger if I were in charge

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Someone will give him a Nick Foles like contract and he'll be nice and average for them

msadows

Liked Posts:
Bears meatballs in few force. Teddy is a safe pickup. He reads through his progressions well. Runs when it calls for it and makes little mistakes. He is a leader and well like. He is like the complete opposite of Mitch and for all the chest thumping around here if yall just had an average QB yall be super bowl bound. Teddy would be the pick. He isnt going to be elite, but he is intelligent and hard working.

So... you just described mitch in 2018.

K.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So... you just described mitch in 2018.

K.
I said he can go through progressions and is intelligent. That’s what you come back with? You still being a meatball eh

TheMarshallPlan

Ladies: Libertarians Do It Better!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

This. 100%.

mbison

Liked Posts:
He’s 27. Won’t cost any draft picks. Has extensive starting experience. Had a 99 rating last year. Spent two years learning from Brees. Played for a franchise that will likely give Pace an honest insider evaluation considering him and Payton are close.

In most years Bears fans would be SHITTING themselves to sign a QB with a resume like that. Yet it seems like this year the guy people want to talk about it a washed up ginger as a backup? WTF?

Fools gold that’s why. He’s Career stats have been worse the Mitches and the only reason he has a good FIVE game stretch was because he had an elite offense with an elite play caller. Bridgewater is average at best and is way too expensive.

BearDownZZ

Liked Posts:
Teddy is actually risky as he's has never shown an ability to actually pass the ball. You are going to pay franchise type money for a QB that is likely to play to his average, which is a smart 190 passing yard QB which is exactly why the Saints have no interest in him even if Brees retires.

He won half those games in low scoring, low passing yard games defensive games. He's smart and safe, but a game manager. Did what he needed to do to win with a decent team. Don't want to make the typical mistake of paying a QB because of wins. Wins are a team stat and honestly a better stat when evaluating an entire career, not a short stretch of games.

I have no problem paying a guy like this a 2 year $30 mil deal. Then you are trying him out on a prove it deal to see if he can actually play a full season and average 240-250 yards a game. But you just have to realize you are more likely to get his average.

TheMarshallPlan

Ladies: Libertarians Do It Better!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The idea isn’t to have a game manager or an average QB with the occasional amazing game.

The goal is to have a franchise QB for half a decade or more. That’s why the whole Mitch thing sucks.

Carr COULD do that.
A 2nd rounder COULD do that.

Bridgewater? No way.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Sign Teddy. cut Floyd, Prince and Turbo. Let Mitch go next year. Draft TE, WR and Oline. Offense should be young and decent. Defense takes a step back. Go heavy on the D next year. If you do it right you can have a balanced young team that will compete for years. (Assuming Teddy is good)

is this any more risky than wasting another year with Mitch and then playing the draft lottery for the next decade? I mean I get it’s not a slam dunk but what is?

A--Pace isn't making a change at starting QB.

B--Per sportrac, bears have 12.8 in cap space for 2020. Your proposed cuts save 13.2 mil (Floyd), 4.5 mil (Gabriel) and 9 mil (Prince). That's 26.7 mil, and that alone may not even be enough to sign TB, who will want starter's money.

But for sake of example, let's say the 26.7 mil does the trick and you get Teddy B. This leaves the 12.8 untouched cap before your proposed cuts to sign and draft guys to plug the holes already here/created by your proposed cuts isn't feasible, unless you're gung-ho about late round picks/undrafted guys starting. Cant imagine a GM making that move will put his ass on the line for that.

You aren't fixing the main problems (you create more holes to fill in), and Teddy will be behind the same porous line Mitch was.

Even if you generate said cap room for the 26.7 mil, you could spend that a lot better (Oline, TE, keep an ILB, Edge) to keep the team with one more year of Mitch at 9.2 mil. An improved OLine will make a bad QB (Mitch) look better. Along with a 3rd place schedule.

C--We're looking at a 5 starting game sample size in one of the best offenses in the NFL to base handing a shitton of money to a guy that Minnesota didn't feel the need to keep (after drafting him in the 1st round), that the Jets didn't bother keeping around even for depth, and now the Saints are going to let walk.

Has Teddy B played anything close to an Andy Reid/Nagy playbook in his career?

I see a terrible red flag with that. You evidently don't. But I guess its easy to have your position when its not your job on the line to make a decision to spend big money on a game manager when there are some glaring holes otherwise on this team and not many resources to fill.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
A--Pace isn't making a change at starting QB.

B--Per sportrac, bears have 12.8 in cap space for 2020. Your proposed cuts save 13.2 mil (Floyd), 4.5 mil (Gabriel) and 9 mil (Prince). That's 26.7 mil, and that alone may not even be enough to sign TB, who will want starter's money.

But for sake of example, let's say the 26.7 mil does the trick and you get Teddy B. This leaves the 12.8 untouched cap before your proposed cuts to sign and draft guys to plug the holes already here/created by your proposed cuts isn't feasible, unless you're gung-ho about late round picks/undrafted guys starting. Cant imagine a GM making that move will put his ass on the line for that.

You aren't fixing the main problems (you create more holes to fill in), and Teddy will be behind the same porous line Mitch was.

Even if you generate said cap room for the 26.7 mil, you could spend that a lot better (Oline, TE, keep an ILB, Edge) to keep the team with one more year of Mitch at 9.2 mil. An improved OLine will make a bad QB (Mitch) look better. Along with a 3rd place schedule.

C--We're looking at a 5 starting game sample size in one of the best offenses in the NFL to base handing a shitton of money to a guy that Minnesota didn't feel the need to keep (after drafting him in the 1st round), that the Jets didn't bother keeping around even for depth, and now the Saints are going to let walk.

Has Teddy B played anything close to an Andy Reid/Nagy playbook in his career?

I see a terrible red flag with that. You evidently don't. But I guess its easy to have your position when its not your job on the line to make a decision to spend big money on a game manager when there are some glaring holes otherwise on this team and not many resources to fill.

I don’t claim to be a cap expert like some here but your understanding of it is simplistic. It doesn’t have to be a 26 mil cap hit year one. And there’s still plenty of more space to maneuver with extensions and restructuring. Point being.... it’s very doable if needed. Anyways, I’m not saying this is what the Bears HAVE to do or WILL do.... it was a fun little thread to debate some ideas. All I really know is Mitch ain’t the answer and weather it’s Teddy, Carr or something else Mitch needs to go this year or next.

also.... LOL at Minnesota not wanting to keep him. You realize his injury was compared to a war wound and they thought they might have to amputate at one point right? He was let go because no one thought he’d ever play again. Had nothing to do with talent. And the Saints simply can’t afford to keep him.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears wanted to sign TB they could......year 2 and on may be difficult.

I think his stats were a bit of fools gold last year however.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
He’s 27. Won’t cost any draft picks. Has extensive starting experience. Had a 99 rating last year. Spent two years learning from Brees. Played for a franchise that will likely give Pace an honest insider evaluation considering him and Payton are close.

In most years Bears fans would be SHITTING themselves to sign a QB with a resume like that. Yet it seems like this year the guy people want to talk about it a washed up ginger as a backup? WTF?

Fools gold that’s why. He’s Career stats have been worse the Mitches and the only reason he has a good FIVE game stretch was because he had an elite offense with an elite play caller. Bridgewater is average at best and is way too expensive.

Keep in mind TB was out with an injury. So we'd have to prorate his stats. The $$$$ is a different story

Mitch

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
TB's interest comes from a lack of talent in the pool of potential FA and the desperation some teams have to find somebody.
I think you nailed it. He's probably my first practical choice. But I think there will be teams willing to give him big bucks for a starting, or likely starting, position. And I don't think the Bears are committed buying a starting QB.

Last edited:

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Because Ryan Pace is not making a change at QB1.
I think he is. If he really believes in mitch is a good qb, then he's in his lame duck season. As dumb as pace is I think he has self preservation in mind.