Why I Think Bears Run Game Will Be Better in 2019

dll2000

Liked Posts:
Things that hurt Bears run game in 2018 IMO:

1) Howard struggled running from shot gun out of spread as shown and argued very well here. I don't need to repeat it as I agree with it:

2) We had no big TE who could block which was limiting. Shaheen might have been that guy if he wasn't hurt. Bears ran a lot 3WR set with Burton which is basically a 4WR set. Not ideal for run game.

Reasons why I think 2019 run game will likely be better:

1) I think it was huge focus of Nagy and staff in offseason. Any self-scouting would tell them poor run efficiency was their biggest problem.

2) To that end exit Howard and enter Montgomery, Davis and Patterson. I think those 3 combined give you more quality depth and running options to fit the scheme. I think these guys combined with Cohen make for a more efficient running attack. The addition of these three is better than 2018 Howard.

a) Davis looked great in his lone start for Arizona and every other rep he had. He caught the ball extremely well in check down routes.

b) Patterson is one of best athletes in league if you factor size, speed and elusiveness. There is no one better at running jet sweeps. Someone did a great video on it, but I can't find it. Just know he is really good at it.

c) By all accounts Montgomery has looked great in OTAs in terms of his movement, quickness and hands. Take that for what it is worth.

3) Cohen is still a versatile stud as receiver or a runner.

4) Shaheen may be healthy this year and may have improved his blocking. Hopefully he can stay healthy this year. Converted TE Sowell may also provide a large run blocking option at TE if Shaheen can't stay on field. Obviously that should be a huge down grade in pass receiving ability, but we'll see. Presence of a large TE as receiving threat makes NFL style RPOs work better.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Did not read, but did you make any comments about Kyle Long injuries, Cody Wheelchair move to G, or Bobby Massie being a turnstile??? If not then correlation is suspect, invalidating any premise that the Burs running the footbaw game will improve. Thanks for not talking about Maaco Mitch overthrowing open receivers or his undeserved trip to the almost pro-bowl.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Patterson is not elusive. He’s a top end speed guy with minimal chance of direction ability who runs upright.

Counting on Shaheen is ridiculous. How can that count as better this year when the team had the same expectations for him last year.

Same goes with Cohen. He was here last year, how is him being here this year an upgrade exactly?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I would like to add that Long is healthy, Whitehair and Daniel swapped positions, and that Shaeen is due to breakout and stay healthy......oh wait...

Just kidding, but the point is taken that not one of the single changes alone will make it a better running game, but a combination of all these things or hopefully at least a few of the changes, will make the run game better.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did not read, but did you make any comments about Kyle Long injuries, Cody Wheelchair move to G, or Bobby Massie being a turnstile??? If not then correlation is suspect, invalidating any premise that the Burs running the footbaw game will improve. Thanks for not talking about Maaco Mitch overthrowing open receivers or his undeserved trip to the almost pro-bowl.

You forgot that David Montgomery is also likely pre-injured like all of Pace's first picks of any given draft.

Bort

Liked Posts:
I thought Sowell did a really nice job lead blocking when they used him as a TE/FB hybrid. You could see that he has the athleticism and physicality for it when Nagy would use him that way:

giphy.gif

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The run game will never be top notch here because even if its working, Nagy needs to run 2-3 trick plays per series. People tend to forget that Howard barely had 400 yards by december 1st and ended up with 975. When he started busting thru with the 15 yard runs this video shows, it was just setting up the defense for a trick play to another running back.

Great teams keep feeding that beast and destroy any confidence the opponent has. Sorry, we will never see that with Nagy. I dont care if Barry Sanders unretires and is playing at top form.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
What? He has improved every year here, he is far from a turnstile anymore. Not sure what you are watching.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Geez. Hostile folk.

Is this a Bears forum or Twitter?
Great thread OP.

Awesome video for those who care to actually watch it and are smart enough to pay attention and understand it.
Few on CCS apparently - or these replies seem to address any of the nuances covered above. SMH

Great find and write-up to follow. Keep it up, even though it might seem like some of these bozos just go off topic. I've tried repeatedly to post articulate multi-point logic here too, and response is hit & miss. Save your content links for a rainy day tho...and sunny day to prove you were right > the Negative Nancies & meatball ignoramus.

I'm concerned about the RB by committee approach, but dropped a few bucks on crazy odds for DM for OROY, even rushing title on principle & other factors before seeing this level of detail.

This personnel allowing correction to Nagy's playbook coupled with Mitch's improved understanding of it will all turn this recipe levels above 2018. Looking back this explains so much & further enlightens on what's to come for this offense. I'm pumped.
:success:

Last edited:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You forgot that David Montgomery is also likely pre-injured like all of Pace's first picks of any given draft.

I'll bite...and how'd that work out for him? Bars will be the next Eddie Jackson. Book it.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Things that hurt Bears run game in 2018 IMO:

1) Howard struggled running from shot gun out of spread as shown and argued very well here. I don't need to repeat it as I agree with it:

2) We had no big TE who could block which was limiting. Shaheen might have been that guy if he wasn't hurt. Bears ran a lot 3WR set with Burton which is basically a 4WR set. Not ideal for run game.

Reasons why I think 2019 run game will likely be better:

1) I think it was huge focus of Nagy and staff in offseason. Any self-scouting would tell them poor run efficiency was their biggest problem.

2) To that end exit Howard and enter Montgomery, Davis and Patterson. I think those 3 combined give you more quality depth and running options to fit the scheme. I think these guys combined with Cohen make for a more efficient running attack. The addition of these three is better than 2018 Howard.

a) Davis looked great in his lone start for Arizona and every other rep he had. He caught the ball extremely well in check down routes.

b) Patterson is one of best athletes in league if you factor size, speed and elusiveness. There is no one better at running jet sweeps. Someone did a great video on it, but I can't find it. Just know he is really good at it.

c) By all accounts Montgomery has looked great in OTAs in terms of his movement, quickness and hands. Take that for what it is worth.

3) Cohen is still a versatile stud as receiver or a runner.

4) Shaheen may be healthy this year and may have improved his blocking. Hopefully he can stay healthy this year. Converted TE Sowell may also provide a large run blocking option at TE if Shaheen can't stay on field. Obviously that should be a huge down grade in pass receiving ability, but we'll see. Presence of a large TE as receiving threat makes NFL style RPOs work better.

I’ve been listening to a number of DFS pros on satellite radio and there is quite a buzz about Montgomery and his fit with Nagy. I can’t wait to see him in pads.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard “exceptional contact balance” as an attribute that will translate to the NFL for Montgomery as well.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Prob. redundant here, but this was cool to see how DM addition is really more than just a "round peg, round hole" good fit improvement.

The real opening up of Nagy's playbook how it is written and should be run is what excites me just as much if not more. Hopefully the TEs can add the same.

Under Fox, Howard was revered for "patience" to find his hole, follow blockers, etc. Yet, under Nagy that = death and predictability even pre-snap. Cool

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good post. Sowell is going to shock us all, watch and see. Having someone so fluid and adept at run blocking so far outside is really going to make Cohen happy.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I thought Sowell did a really nice job lead blocking when they used him as a TE/FB hybrid. You could see that he has the athleticism and physicality for it when Nagy would use him that way:

giphy.gif
Good post. Sowell is going to shock us all, watch and see. Having someone so fluid and adept at run blocking so far outside is really going to make Cohen happy.
#CALLED IT..well kind of
https://www.chicitysports.com/forum...eagles-playoff-game.72311/page-4#post-3127138

Reactions: DC

napo55

Liked Posts:
The run game will never be top notch here because even if its working, Nagy needs to run 2-3 trick plays per series. People tend to forget that Howard barely had 400 yards by december 1st and ended up with 975. When he started busting thru with the 15 yard runs this video shows, it was just setting up the defense for a trick play to another running back.

Great teams keep feeding that beast and destroy any confidence the opponent has. Sorry, we will never see that with Nagy. I dont care if Barry Sanders unretires and is playing at top form.

Didn't Kareem Hunt lead the league in rushing in 2017 with Nagy as the OC? Kind of contradicts your thesis doesn't it.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

giphy.gif

I remember years ago when the Bears got TE Matt Spaeth from the Steelers, and the running game went from 26th in the league to 9th (or something like that). Sometimes they would line him up at FB, and he was very effective. For some reason he stopped playing partway through his 2nd year and the Bears got rid of him. Made no sense. That was the only time the Bears were ever able to convert on 3rd and short. I would love to see Sowell on the field more in 2019.