Wild Guess - Stephen Denmark at safety

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Just for fun, thought I would toss at a crazy speculation. Stephen Denmark will be a Bears safety. First off, his measurables are insane. But that is basically all the information we have. Tape is sparse. The Bears are deep at cornerback with a handful of UDFAs competing for the final roster spot. Safety, on the other hand, isn't so deep. In the end, I think Denmark has the rare athleticism to possibly break up an over the shoulder pass to the wide receiver if he makes a quick read. That would be rare.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brandon Hardin says "Wassssup"

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Not that wild. Pace has never drafted a CB that has stayed at CB. Looks like Duke Shelley will be one that stays at CB (nickel), but yeah I don't think that's Denmark's long-term position....if he's even around long enough for his position to matter.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He'll have to be a special teams player to really have a shot at making the roster this season. Doubtful that he gets a lot of defensive playing time and if he did, it would be due to injury

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why did he move from WR? Hands? A QB that couldn't throw so moved their best athlete to D? Lat him play all those plus LB and TE, LOL. He's about as big as Burton.

Seriously though, Pagano loves to take DBs under his wing and Denmark stays there in the backfield. What position he ends up at is less important than him growing into an NFL player. Huge leap for him so at least a year away. I wouldn't doubt that he makes the 19 team as a gunner.

Last edited:

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
I think Charles Tillman should be moved to safety. I think Kyle Long should be moved to tackle. Devin Hester should be a wide receiver.

Alrighty smart guy...let's lay out in simpler terms so u can see the dilemma. Can't put Denmark on practice squad cuz he will get snatched up. He's gonna play special teams because if he can't make it there, then he should probably be cut. He still needs a native position because, unless you are Brendon Ayenbadajo, kicker or punter, no one gets to be purely special teams. He was drafted as a corner...locks are Fuller, Amukamara, Skrine. Likely to make it is Tolliver (given how well he did in his single start last year), Duke Shelley (given his early praise). That leaves one more spot at corner. He's got to beat out Michael Joseph and John Franklin which isn't a tall order, but not a gimme either since they are being described as very athletic and have one year under their belt to learn the pro system. This all assumes that McManis is gone and that isn't a lock either.

Safety, on the other hand, doesn't have the same level of competition. Otherwise, I don't think they would have signed HaHa Clinton Dix. They just don't see the back up safeties from 2018 as being ready for prime time.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
It's not that wild of a guess, considering some people have been suggesting that since the moment we drafted him...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Alrighty smart guy...let's lay out in simpler terms so u can see the dilemma. Can't put Denmark on practice squad cuz he will get snatched up. He's gonna play special teams because if he can't make it there, then he should probably be cut. He still needs a native position because, unless you are Brendon Ayenbadajo, kicker or punter, no one gets to be purely special teams. He was drafted as a corner...locks are Fuller, Amukamara, Skrine. Likely to make it is Tolliver (given how well he did in his single start last year), Duke Shelley (given his early praise). That leaves one more spot at corner. He's got to beat out Michael Joseph and John Franklin which isn't a tall order, but not a gimme either since they are being described as very athletic and have one year under their belt to learn the pro system. This all assumes that McManis is gone and that isn't a lock either.

Safety, on the other hand, doesn't have the same level of competition. Otherwise, I don't think they would have signed HaHa Clinton Dix. They just don't see the back up safeties from 2018 as being ready for prime time.
While I sort of agree with this, what makes you think he'd get snatched up if we hid him by not giving game reps during the preseason? We got him with a late 7th and he has to get claimed to an active roster to get snatched away from us in Sept. Any waivers claim goes to a team's 53 allotment or the player reverts to a FA. 95% of players cut with the team letting them know they are still wanted resign the to the PS when not claimed, maybe more. Being a contender with a desirable staff like the Bear makes it that much easier.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Just noticed PinkFloydster has negative rep. Only can tell by the - sign under the thumbs up. This sucks! I want to see a visual like Gatorland Mikes mile of red bars. At least when they are negative the symbol should be a thumbs down, ideally red.
Mod's please address and fix this glaring defect post haste.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
While I sort of agree with this, what makes you think he'd get snatched up if we hid him by not giving game reps during the preseason? We got him with a late 7th and he has to get claimed to an active roster to get snatched away from us in Sept. Any waivers claim goes to a team's 53 allotment or the player reverts to a FA. 95% of players cut with the team letting them know they are still wanted resign the to the PS when not claimed, maybe more. Being a contender with a desirable staff like the Bear makes it that much easier.

One negative of being a good team that is deep means other teams will give a 2nd look at your practice squad. In years past, they could hide someone. But not anymore, IMHO

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Just for comparison here's his measurables compared to DK Metcalf who some consider among the best athlete testing ever:

Metcalf 40 time=4.33, Bench press 27 reps, vertical 40.5", Broad jump 134", 3 cone 7.38 secs, 20 yd shuttle 4.5.

Denmark 40 time=4.46, Bench press 19 reps, vertical 43.5", Broad jump 130", 3 cone 7.4 secs, 20 yd shuttle 4.27.

Point being, he's not Metcalf, but he's not that far from him either. They're both about same height and weight.

Here's Greedy Williams' numbers, top corner selected in 2019 draft:

Williams 40 time=4.37, Bench press 8 reps, vertical 36", Broad jump 124"

Last edited:

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Denmark is gonna be the next Richard Sherman. He's not moving and will take over for Prince next year, when the Bears inevitably release him to free up cap space.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One negative of being a good team that is deep means other teams will give a 2nd look at your practice squad. In years past, they could hide someone. But not anymore, IMHO
Did you read the entire post or just assume he would show a lot in games. Can't hide a 7th rounder that you don't show in the pre? Our 1st string is really good now but our depth is not above average except maybe D line and WR. This is what homerism looks like. I tend to be a positive poster but try to keep it real. He was a late 7th rounder. His value without more info has already been established regardless of his athletic specs.

If he balls out in the pre, you may be correct but if he doesn't, don't expect a claim. I think he may make the cut just for ST anyway. One area we were lacking as opposed to having depth.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

oh no!!!! Another Bears player that ONLY a Bears fan think would be snatched up from the practice squad.

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts: