With Pitt only 2.5 games out...

Pittsburgh or St. Louis in the 1 gamer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Who would you guys rather play in the 1 game playoff? Assuming we don't mess around and take the NL Central (which is a long shot)? STL or PITT?

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Call me crazy, but I want STL in that wild card game. We've proven that we can beat them and I like our chances in a 1 gamer against them. For me, it comes down to me feeling more comfortable taking 3 out of 5 from PITT than STL. Chime in fellas

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd rather Pittsburgh. We collapse against St. Louis far to often.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Cards all the way. St Louis is faltering down the stretch. They are somewhat of a mirage. Pittsburgh is gaining ground with the pedal to the metal. I smell bloody birds in the water whether it's at St Louis or in Chicago.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
The easiest way to take down the Cardinals is in one game.

Arrieta has also dominated the Cardinals this year.

I don't care if it is in their house or not. Take the Cardinals down, and then move on against the Pirates in which the Cubs have fared well against this year.

Note: St Louis bowing out of the playoffs is ALWAYS a good thing, and I would take the Pirates winning any day over the Cardinals if the Cubs are not in it.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I'd rather Pittsburgh. We collapse against St. Louis far to often.

I don't want to do the Cardinals any favors, and us beating Pittsburgh or vice versa eliminates one of their headaches. I want the Cardinals to have to not only beat us both, but also the Dodgers or Mets too.

Lets hope it never gets that far and we are the ones taking on the Dodgers or Mets. :smug2:

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Call me crazy, but I want STL in that wild card game. We've proven that we can beat them and I like our chances in a 1 gamer against them. For me, it comes down to me feeling more comfortable taking 3 out of 5 from PITT than STL. Chime in fellas

I think the Cubs and Pittsburgh are very evenly matched teams. Pittsburgh has been in the playoffs before but they don't have the institutional playoff memory St. Louis has. The Cardinals, much as it galls me, have a playoff mentality that's matched only by the Giants but in a different way from even that club. A one game playoff has the odds of a coin flip which largely neutralizes that edge. I'll take that one game chance and then on to Pittsburgh for what I have no doubt will be a very competitive series.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Are you all suggesting we pull for the Pirates the next four games? Because if the Cubs do well or even split with the Bucs, it will help the Cards unless they go belly up against the Brewers. Can't see that happening and they have 4 more with them later on as well.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Cubs numbers this year against Cole

12.0 innings
10 hits
2 walks
3 runs
2 earned
16 strikeouts

I'd rather face St Louis because their team is set up to win 95 out of 162 but it's not as set-up to beat a team's ace

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I'd rather face the Cardinals

But only because the reactions of all the Cardinals fans when we beat them would be too much to handle

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cubs numbers this year against Cole

12.0 innings
10 hits
2 walks
3 runs
2 earned
16 strikeouts

I'd rather face St Louis because their team is set up to win 95 out of 162 but it's not as set-up to beat a team's ace

Strong numbers but not as strong as these.....Arrieta vs Pitt at PNC Park 2-0 14inn 6hits 1run 3walk 12Ks 0.64 ERA His numbers are pretty good vs the Cards in St. Louis as well but nowhere that good. He held their run count down some but gave up more hits than against most teams. 2-0 12inn 12hits 6run 3walk 14K 3.65 ERA

What about managers...Mike Matheny has a horseshoe up his ass but is about as sharp as a bowling ball. Huge advantage Cubs. Clint Hurdle far better than Matheny and a tougher match for Maddon.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Strong numbers but not as strong as these.....Arrieta vs Pitt at PNC Park 2-0 14inn 6hits 1run 3walk 12Ks 0.64 ERA His numbers are pretty good vs the Cards in St. Louis as well but nowhere that good. He held their run count down some but gave up more hits than against most teams. 2-0 12inn 12hits 6run 3walk 14K 3.65 ERA

What about managers...Mike Matheny has a horseshoe up his ass but is about as sharp as a bowling ball. Huge advantage Cubs. Clint Hurdle far better than Matheny and a tougher match for Maddon.

The Cubs have 10 singles and no XBH in two starts and have struck out a ton against him. While Arrieta has equally good numbers, Cole could go 7-8 of shutout and it wouldn't shock me.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs have 10 singles and no XBH in two starts and have struck out a ton against him. While Arrieta has equally good numbers, Cole could go 7-8 of shutout and it wouldn't shock me.

You play who you have to play. All numbers go out the window in the playoffs. Its who gets hot and who gets the lucky bounces. Everybody is beatable just look at Kershaw post season numbers and is by far the most dominant pitcher of the past 5 years.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The last time Cole pitched against the Cubs was May....four months ago. Lots of changes in four months...I think the Cubs lineup is a bit more formidable now then back in April and May when they were struggling to win a bunch of low scoring games. The guy that gives the Cubs the most trouble is Liriano mostly because they can't lay off his pitches that are very rarely strikes.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Cards all the way. St Louis is faltering down the stretch. They are somewhat of a mirage. Pittsburgh is gaining ground with the pedal to the metal. I smell bloody birds in the water whether it's at St Louis or in Chicago.

I agree, but I wonder if we'd be better off playing them in a series for that very reason. The Cards are struggling a little bit for sure. With Arietta, I like our chances in a 1 game series against either one of them. But as of right now, I thing Pitt might be the tougher challenge in a series. Don't know for sure, but this upcoming series will tell us a little

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I agree, but I wonder if we'd be better off playing them in a series for that very reason. The Cards are struggling a little bit for sure. With Arietta, I like our chances in a 1 game series against either one of them. But as of right now, I thing Pitt might be the tougher challenge in a series. Don't know for sure, but this upcoming series will tell us a little

Could be, but I wouldn't look past the one game playoff. In this case, the cliché fits. You gotta play them one game at a time.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Could be, but I wouldn't look past the one game playoff. In this case, the cliché fits. You gotta play them one game at a time.

Doesn't it always fit? The cliche that is.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I just want to see the team getting back into a winning streak.

This is the reason why I have been posting so much about them needing a starter. Last 2 losses are due to not having a quality starter in there. Both game became co-dependent on the pen to survive. Odds are always against continued success in those situations.

It really doesn't matter who they play in a 1 game. Neither of those teams can match Arrieta. In a series in worried because of the drop off after him. They would have to go Lester and Hammel before Arrieta would be ready again.