1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Hell yes

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
they were the best attacking team that could also get physical and defend...so they survived every style and are last standing.

2-3 teams may have had better attacks which is a new progression of world game for U.S....they are on notice, but deserved the outcomes.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Wow.

Great consistency from the US throughout the tournament. Congrats to them!

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Thoughts on the championship match:

*I thought Martens had been Holland's best player in the tournament, and both her and Rapinoe weren't anywhere close to 100% in the final. I think the match would have been much better/exciting had they been healthy. Other than a through pass here and there, Netherlands didn't spend much time in attack. Rapinoe wasn't making long runs to the ball or consistently beating her man, so it was more of a measured game.

*Netherlands goalie kept the team in the game and had a great save on a great shot by Morgan in the 1st half, but was also lucky that Mewis' header didn't find the net. I think the US had more legit scoring chances and were clearly the better team.

*I liked how the ref let the action play on with Sauerbrunn bleeding from the head. Great stuff. That was the diciest moment of the game for me...I thought the best/only way Netherlands could win is if Sauerbrunn couldn't return and the US made a defensive blunder. I also liked how the ref signaled for 2 minutes of extra time and allowed 4 minutes of play, resulting in a couple Netherlands chances and O'Hara's injury.

*Not sure what to make of the penalty call. Again, problem with VAR is that there is always going to be contact...the ref can deem it unworthy of a penalty, VAR can't/doesn't. I guess in the end it was an incredibly stupid play by the NED defender, as Morgan wasn't in a great scoring position even if she immediately controlled the ball, but I was fine with the ref letting play continue.

*I was so happy with Lavelle's goal. A 2-0 lead was almost insurmountable considering how anemic NED looked thus far, and that goal 'legitimized' the win since it wasn't a VAR gift. Dunn had a great steal to start the play, and TBH very few female players could have dribbled that long and shot from that far out and still beat the NED goalie. My favorite moment of the tournament was Lavelle celebrating while falling down with her back to the goal.

*Not a fan of her acting and thought the tea celebration was over the top, but Alex Morgan is underrated. Played a big part in both goals...her upfield run opened up space for Lavelle to shoot. She does a lot of dirty work and tracking back on defense. Replacing Wambach in 2015 changed/allowed that team to win the championship, and she continued her work in 2019.

*Krieger played really well considering the circumstances. I thought Crystal Dunn really improved during the tournament. Netherlands didn't really get around either player in the 2nd half.

*I didn't really understand US strategy at the end of the game to forgo scoring opportunities, especially with Tobin Heath getting breakaway after breakaway. But I found it funny that people always question Jill Ellis' tactics and lineups (Mewis over Horan for this game, too) when she hasn't lost a game in WC competition.

*I think there are more good teams internationally in 2019 than 2015, but I still think 2015 team is better. Prime Lloyd and prime Holliday are a big difference. US passing wasn't really good all tournament...Lavelle was nice in the midfield but she is just one person and wasn't as dominant as Lloyd. That said, 2019 team could beat you at any style. So I could be wrong.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That shot by Morgan showed her greatness.

I thought Rapinoe, Morgan when she was fresh, and Lavelle carried the real firepower of the team. Everyone else contributed either great physicality or good speed/skill.

They looked bad when they sat on their heels, but their ability to score in first 15 minutes floated them to early leads throughout.

The Netherlands was overmatched and unable to turn the field as the game went on, as England and France were able to do.

I'd guess England could tie them at least 1 chance in 5. And France is basically on their level and at least 50/50...if not the favorite. The U.S. could probably field 5 top 5 teams though. Depth of their program isn't even close anywhere.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thoughts on the championship match:

*I thought Martens had been Holland's best player in the tournament, and both her and Rapinoe weren't anywhere close to 100% in the final. I think the match would have been much better/exciting had they been healthy. Other than a through pass here and there, Netherlands didn't spend much time in attack. Rapinoe wasn't making long runs to the ball or consistently beating her man, so it was more of a measured game.

*Netherlands goalie kept the team in the game and had a great save on a great shot by Morgan in the 1st half, but was also lucky that Mewis' header didn't find the net. I think the US had more legit scoring chances and were clearly the better team.

*I liked how the ref let the action play on with Sauerbrunn bleeding from the head. Great stuff. That was the diciest moment of the game for me...I thought the best/only way Netherlands could win is if Sauerbrunn couldn't return and the US made a defensive blunder. I also liked how the ref signaled for 2 minutes of extra time and allowed 4 minutes of play, resulting in a couple Netherlands chances and O'Hara's injury.

*Not sure what to make of the penalty call. Again, problem with VAR is that there is always going to be contact...the ref can deem it unworthy of a penalty, VAR can't/doesn't. I guess in the end it was an incredibly stupid play by the NED defender, as Morgan wasn't in a great scoring position even if she immediately controlled the ball, but I was fine with the ref letting play continue.

*I was so happy with Lavelle's goal. A 2-0 lead was almost insurmountable considering how anemic NED looked thus far, and that goal 'legitimized' the win since it wasn't a VAR gift. Dunn had a great steal to start the play, and TBH very few female players could have dribbled that long and shot from that far out and still beat the NED goalie. My favorite moment of the tournament was Lavelle celebrating while falling down with her back to the goal.

*Not a fan of her acting and thought the tea celebration was over the top, but Alex Morgan is underrated. Played a big part in both goals...her upfield run opened up space for Lavelle to shoot. She does a lot of dirty work and tracking back on defense. Replacing Wambach in 2015 changed/allowed that team to win the championship, and she continued her work in 2019.

*Krieger played really well considering the circumstances. I thought Crystal Dunn really improved during the tournament. Netherlands didn't really get around either player in the 2nd half.

*I didn't really understand US strategy at the end of the game to forgo scoring opportunities, especially with Tobin Heath getting breakaway after breakaway. But I found it funny that people always question Jill Ellis' tactics and lineups (Mewis over Horan for this game, too) when she hasn't lost a game in WC competition.

*I think there are more good teams internationally in 2019 than 2015, but I still think 2015 team is better. Prime Lloyd and prime Holliday are a big difference. US passing wasn't really good all tournament...Lavelle was nice in the midfield but she is just one person and wasn't as dominant as Lloyd. That said, 2019 team could beat you at any style. So I could be wrong.
Only issue I took with Ellis down the stretch against the NED was leaving Dahlkemper on late in the game on a Yellow card. NED only hope of a comeback was some crazy shit happening and losing one of your top defenders to red card and being a man down would have qualified. Super nit picky but that was my only issue.

Overall the US was clearly a class above NED and their keeper kept them in the game with a Tim Howard-esque performance.

The head official had a terrible first half..and generally game although the second half was better.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Found out that Kelley O'Hara isn't really into men. Not shocked, but am disappoint.
I thought she had like a long-time boyfriend or something. But you could totally tell from her interviews lmao

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
but yeah, everything about her is hot...stature, looks, the way she moves...fucking hot