Women’s World Cup 2019

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn, France gets one back.

And deserved 2 or 3. I have never seen the U.S. squad holding on like that without any ability to attack or possess for more than a pass or two.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think the US got dominated. They could have put the game away 3-0 if not for a questionable offsides call. France tried to pour it on at the end to tie up the game, but they didn't really have that many legit scoring chances despite all their shots. I can only recall Naeher making one save where I thought "wow, that was good!".

I thought with Dunn in the backline, France would spend the whole game getting 1-on-1's with the goalie, but that never happened. You can tell France has some good individual players, but I wasn't really impressed with any of them. The US kind of did whatever they wanted for most of the game. I thought the sketchiest moment was when the ref could have called O'Hara for a handball in the box, but she waved it off.

On the other side of the bracket, I watched a bit of the games. Netherlands has a really good player in Lieke Martens, but Italy didn't seem to be much of anything. I was surprised that Sweden beat Germany, because Germany took an early lead and are usually tough, and the Swedes didn't accomplish anything against the US.
Well...

the U.S. did get dominated, but it was indeed more nuanced then that in the fact the U.S. CHOSE to get dominated by sitting back and defending...a very foolish thing to do with their mature ladies.

I hope they never stop attacking like that again...bad bad idea. They looked terrible on their heals and couldn't string 2 passes together in the midfield to even ask possession of their forwards. The combination of Rapinoe and Morgan at the top should be split up due to age. They are having a speed issue at the moment combining skilled age with some beefier girls behind them.

Team needs to play their youngest, healthiest, strongest women against the more skilled England. The only way to beat England is to beat them to the ball and counter effectively. They didn't look like they had those traits against France but France had special athletes and was able to take their time away and completely dismember their attack.

It wasn't a win by the end, it was an escape.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Well...

the U.S. did get dominated, but it was indeed more nuanced then that in the fact the U.S. CHOSE to get dominated by sitting back and defending...a very foolish thing to do with their mature ladies.

I hope they never stop attacking like that again...bad bad idea. They looked terrible on their heals and couldn't string 2 passes together in the midfield to even ask possession of their forwards. The combination of Rapinoe and Morgan at the top should be split up due to age. They are having a speed issue at the moment combining skilled age with some beefier girls behind them.

Team needs to play their youngest, healthiest, strongest women against the more skilled England. The only way to beat England is to beat them to the ball and counter effectively. They didn't look like they had those traits against France but France had special athletes and was able to take their time away and completely dismember their attack.

It wasn't a win by the end, it was an escape.

It wasn't a great game, but I think the US didn't get dominated. Had Heath's goal counted the game would have been a route in US's favor. I think through the first 70 minutes France had 1 shot on goal. They were afraid of giving up 1-on-1's toward the end of the game and they went into a shell. France got a lot of shots, but they weren't creating troublesome situations for the US defense.

I remember last WC when the US played Germany, that was a much different game. Germany was getting behind the US, Johnson probably should have been given a red card, Germany blew several early scoring chances. I don't think France was ever in control of that US game. They couldn't do anything until they were desperate.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the swing in momentum started at 1-0 around 35 minutes, where the U.S. was showing bad signs with possession and started getting tired because of it.

They were able to tack on 2-0 on the counter, and then almost 3-0...

but you keep saying that IF word...IF it had counted. It didn't count....and they barely held on, giving up way too many chances in the goal mouth, and shots just outside the box.

It was not comfortable and as a coach I hate playing that way. You have to keep the gas down and attack back, make them pay for sending numbers.

They looked very tired and about to collapse....they aren't built to play like that.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
but you keep saying that IF word...IF it had counted. It didn't count....and they barely held on, giving up way too many chances in the goal mouth, and shots just outside the box.

It was not comfortable and as a coach I hate playing that way. You have to keep the gas down and attack back, make them pay for sending numbers.

They looked very tired and about to collapse....they aren't built to play like that.

If you complain about "IF", then I don't think the US gave up "way too many chances in the goal mouth". I'm not really concerned with females taking shots from outside the box...that's kind of what you are trying to force on defense. The headed goal was the only time I can recall France connecting on a pass in the box. I think their last desperation corner/cross sailed 10 feet over the goal, and all the French girl could do was complain to the ref that she was allegedly pushed. Again, I can't recall Naeher having to make tough saves, or any miraculous "header off the line" that prevented a goal. France scored once in 95+ minutes (I love how female refs add on huge amounts of time, and then allow that huge amount to go over by 1 or 2 additional minutes)...I don't think that is "barely holding on", I think that's soccer.

I agree that the US looked tired, especially Rapinoe and Morgan...which would be all the more reason to not keep the gas down and attack back, IMO.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you complain about "IF", then I don't think the US gave up "way too many chances in the goal mouth". I'm not really concerned with females taking shots from outside the box...that's kind of what you are trying to force on defense. The headed goal was the only time I can recall France connecting on a pass in the box. I think their last desperation corner/cross sailed 10 feet over the goal, and all the French girl could do was complain to the ref that she was allegedly pushed. Again, I can't recall Naeher having to make tough saves, or any miraculous "header off the line" that prevented a goal. France scored once in 95+ minutes (I love how female refs add on huge amounts of time, and then allow that huge amount to go over by 1 or 2 additional minutes)...I don't think that is "barely holding on", I think that's soccer.

I agree that the US looked tired, especially Rapinoe and Morgan...which would be all the more reason to not keep the gas down and attack back, IMO.
they were a touch away from danger for way too many chances...

a good cross or two would have sunk them...thats living on the edge and I'll bet you U.S. plenty feel same about it as Rapinoe and I.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
they were a touch away from danger for way too many chances...

a good cross or two would have sunk them...thats living on the edge and I'll bet you U.S. plenty feel same about it as Rapinoe and I.

Mathematically it couldn't have "sunk" them...they were up 2-1. It would have tied it 2-2. Its not like they were bunkering down "Rafael Benitez style" and trying to drag a tie game into penalty kicks...the US was protecting a lead. Thats what my comparison to Germany in last WC was...Germany should have been up 2-0 early on the US. France was never in that position at any point in the game.

I don't really find fault with Jill Ellis' tactics...which admittedly makes me an army of one.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
they looked to me like a team that was defeated if the game went 2-2...like they wouldn't have lasted overtime and all knew it.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
they looked to me like a team that was defeated if the game went 2-2...like they wouldn't have lasted overtime and all knew it.

I get what you are saying, but then all the more reason to play defensive and not let the game get to 2-2, no?

Newcastle-United-v-Sunderland.jpg

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
maybe it was hot...they couldn't support each other enough to string 2 passes together for almost 30 minutes. Its was just survive wave after wave...

their air superiority and marking was superb. They cut off every angle. A fantastic bend but don't break display. They deserved the win...don't get me wrong. They did what they felt they had to do against a team that had beaten them 3 times in a row coming in.

I just feel they are too old up front to be so big and heavy behind them. Whatever led to them chasing for 55 minutes needs to be fixed for England.

My take on England is they have been incredibly skilled, and you don't want to give them the same number of chances you gave France to cross the ball. But England do not look physical to me, they are little women and skinny women, no real beefy athletes, or fast burst athletes like the U.S. have...

if they are tired from France England will pass around them and is much more dangerous finishing in your box with crosses or short passes both. They have 6 or 7 women who all have great touch with the ball and more than a little flair.

I like the England team to watch from a soccer stand point, but the U.S. can beat them up and beat them to the ball if they want to make this game physical and about speed...I just think they should possess the ball and make England the runners or they are asking for trouble.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In the other semi-final...

I think the underdogs...Sweden...have the clear advantage as they are very familiar with this level of soccer, and have excellent height to counter the Netherlands headers which are their best chance to finish.

I have seen signs of Netherlands being out of their league a bit on their impressive run. If they can't finish in the air here...I think they may be outmatched and the Swedes will be too much for them.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
USA USA USA. Sip that tea. Piers Morgan can suck a fat one

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Hell yes. What a match.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
A couple tense moments in the second half, but looked like a strong finish by our WOMEN.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Here are my thoughts on the match:

*First and foremost, lets just say England's team won't be winning any beauty contests.

*Kind of a strange game...there were moments of offensive brilliance, but lots of sloppiness and scoring chances not converted. The US defense was ok but not great...I thought England's defense was a joke. Houghton in particular was terrible to watch. I'm not sure if she ever got to a ball, but she spent a lot of time running into people and complaining afterwards. Lavelle practically ran circles around England...it really was a shame Rapinoe was out because she might have scored 2-3 goals herself.

*All of the physical play, acting, complaining and lack of crisp passes made this (again) feel like a men's WC game to me. This version of USWNT is grittier but lacks class. I think 2015 Lloyd/Holliday/Rapinoe were much better than anyone on the 2019 squad.

*I thought it was funny that Horan picked up a yellow card 15 seconds after the 2nd half started...the ref seemed "hesitant" to give out any cards to England despite the fact that they repeatedly had no intention of playing the ball, very late slide tackles, etc. Bright's cleating of Morgan is a straight red card at any level. Jill Scott somehow avoided any card for taking out Julie Ertz while completely missing the ball...and then complained about it afterwards.

*Two big plays were early in the game when Mead ends up with the ball about 15 feet from an open net, and instead of shooting she decides to try dribbling closer...and slips and falls. Later on England's goalie gives the ball to Press on the edge of the box, and instead of passing to Alex Morgan for a tap in goal, Press tries to curl the ball into the upper left corner. Terrible.

*I thought the US controlled the game, but England could have won had they converted their opportunities. The penalty was interesting, because its not like Sauerbrunn did anything unnatural to disrupt White. In racing to the ball, White hit Sauerbrunn on her "backswing"...I get why it was called a penalty, but I think in the NFL that would have been ruled 'incidental contact'.

*The game was unwatchable from the 85th minute on. Unlike France, England couldn't do much of anything, including possessing the ball. The US went into stall mode, which was questionable but understandable...until the ref put in SEVEN MINUTES of extra time. HUH? Even when Man U is trailing in an EPL match, the most they get is 5.

*All in all, it was interesting theater, but not really "uplifting".

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lovelle is a sensational little player, was a joy to watch on and off the ball. She will be the next consistent goal scorer, surprised they kept her off the sheet the game she had.

Both teams could have finished better. England struggled to possess the final third, while the U.S. kept trying to skip the middle third on waste of long balls with little panning out.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks