Would you be interested in trading for Derek Carr

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
His situation is very similar to Ryan Tannehill's in Miami. And while I'm not completely sold on Tannehill being the Titans franchise QB going forward, I think Derek Carr is a good NFL starting QB.

Carr has dealt with a pretty shitty situation in Oakland for most of his 6 years. He joined a pretty terrible team that looked like it was headed in the right direction. Went from 3 to 7 wins in his first 2 years. Then in his 3rd, he went 12-3, leading the 7th ranked scoring offense with 28 TDs to only 6 INTs and nearly 4000 yards before he got hurt. If he was healthy, they probably beat the Texans that year.

After his near MVP level season in 2016, Jack Del Rio decided to fire his offensive coordinator, Bill Musgrave, for reasons that have never been disclosed. The result, Carr and all his offensive weapons struggled. Carr's numbers went way down, Amari Cooper and Michael Crabtree basically quit on the team, and everyone was fired after 2017. In comes Jon Gruden to completely tear the team down. Traded away the 2nd best defensive player in the league, traded away Carr's #1 WR, and he was stuck throwing to Seth Roberts and the corpse of Jordy Nelson, while handing off to Doug Martin and Marshawn Lynch who were well past their primes. Still Carr finished 2018 with career highs in yards (4049), completion % (69.8, 5% higher than his previous best), Y/A (7.3). Carr came back in 2019 to beat all those numbers, while also increasing his TDs and lowering his INTs, and finishing top 10 in QB rating.

To top it off, he's an amazing fit for Nagy's offense as far as I can see. Carr gets rid of the ball quickly, is extremely accurate in the short and intermediate game (over 70% completion this year), and finished 2018 as the most accurate deep passer in the league, and 3rd best since 2016 per PFF.

I wouldn't give up a draft pick before the 5th for Carr, but it has nothing to do with his ability and more to do with his salary. But if Oakland decides to go in a different direction, I'd take him sooner than a heartbeat.