You are Ryan Pace. What do you do about Kaare Vedvick?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Carolina is definitely not cutting him since they know there are teams who would be willing to trade for him.
He was a free agent 10 days ago. Bears fans are really starting to lose their shit over this kicker situation, wanting to chase the flavor of the week(literally). Not every kicker that make 3 FG in a preseason game is suddenly worth a draft pick.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
If you are looking for another P/K who looks interesting...……...Ryan Santoso, a big kicker/punter, 6-5 258 with a strong leg. Kicked in the preseason for the Lions in 2018 and now 2019. Last year and this year so far yet to miss 3 of 3 FG, 8 of 8 Pat.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He was a free agent 10 days ago. Bears fans are really starting to lose their shit over this kicker situation, wanting to chase the flavor of the week(literally). Not every kicker that make 3 FG in a preseason game is suddenly worth a draft pick.
I'm not looking for the Bears to trade for him. I'd be happy with Piniero. Just saying I don't think Carolina is cutting him when you have teams like the Jets who also need a K. If the Bears want this guy, even if Carolina cuts him, Bears don't have priority over the Jets and wouldn't be able to get him anyway.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
If you are looking for another P/K who looks interesting...……...Ryan Santoso, a big kicker/punter, 6-5 258 with a strong leg. Kicked in the preseason for the Lions in 2018 and now 2019. Last year and this year so far yet to miss 3 of 3 FG, 8 of 8 Pat.
Looks like a guy that lost his kicking job in college and then became a below average punter. What kind of draft pick are the Lions asking for?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just pick the best kicking "talent" you see...Pineiro, and let him grow into the Bears job long term. Fry might be an excellent choice as well...I think the Bears top 2 are both worthy of the opportunity and will both be around in 10 years for somebody.

We can't be giving up more draft picks for a kicker just yet, let him go to the Vikings.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ryan Santoso looks intriguing, but pure kicking talent Fry and Pineiro both have, without the freak 268 lb body. I'd trust their process they have a kicking guru in house.

Bears appear to be doing a good selection and competition.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Carolina is definitely not cutting him since they know there are teams who would be willing to trade for him.

Do they know that though? Vedvick was a whole different story and someone that put himself on the radar last year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not sure about your , meh. You think a team would rather have an extra player likely not to see the playing field any given week over the prospect of replacing both a punter and kicker in 2-3 days after an injury? You will have your answer shortly if the Vikes cut Matt Wile, their punter, also listed as a P/K, the only one last season listed as such, by the way. On top of that, the general feeling is that the kicking mechanics of the 2 specialties are different enough to adversely effect the other. They gave up a 5th for him to kick FG's nothing more.
Edit: posted before your edit. seems we are about on the same page.
I don't thin teams think about backup kickers at all.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I don't thin teams think about backup kickers at all.
Not sure what you mean. You made a point that his ability to punt opened up a roster spot, suggesting the Viking could use him as both and that factored in the 5th rnd pick. I disagree. His ability to punt, I doubt will ever factor in to a game, and only then as a emergency to an in game injury, Not really a big deal, I just see no way your assertion, "They get double duty so more cost effective for them," ever factored or factors in to him as a player.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not sure what you mean. You made a point that his ability to punt opened up a roster spot, suggesting the Viking could use him as both and that factored in the 5th rnd pick. I disagree. His ability to punt, I doubt will ever factor in to a game, and only then as a emergency to an in game injury, Not really a big deal, I just see no way your assertion, "They get double duty so more cost effective for them," ever factored or factors in to him as a player.
it was proposed as a possibility and not a fact. If he's a better punter than their guy, he may get that job as well. You don't think so because of an injury scenario but I don't think it's a factor in this case since meh punters like the one they have are relatively easy to replace. I don't think him going down as a punter is an issue. It is as a place kicker but that's not different than if that was his only gig.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
it was proposed as a possibility and not a fact. If he's a better punter than their guy he may get that job as well. You don't think so because of an injury scenario but I don't think it's a factor in this case since meh punters like the one they have are easy to replace. I don't think him going down as a punter is an issue. It is as a place kicker but that's not different than if that was his only gig.
I don't see replacing a punter and kicker on a Monday midseason as simple a task as you do.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't see replacing a punter and kicker on a Monday midseason as simple a task as you do.
Kicker is a problem to replace. Punter unless he's great, not so much so the problem is not greatly expanded. We disagree, which is fine but you won't even acknowledge the argument and made me repeat my position a 3rd time. Reminds me of a Monty discussion before the draft.

No one said either was simple. I could be wrong when it comes to the Vikes and I'm sure various teams would view it differently from one another. My position is that Kicker is tough to replace and the 30th ranked punter, not so much. Neither is simple but one is a lot easier than the other. I just read a bunch of trade reports and they seem to be saying what I am, that he may do both for them. Obviously just opinion but they are sports guys.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I seriously don't have a clue what you are claiming I won't acknowledge. You think punters are easy to replace, I don't think it is as simple as you think it is. I don't think they have an inclination to have him punt to save a roster spot, you do. I think asking a player to do both would likely affect both specialties adversely making him below average at both, a point you have not responded to, but I assume you don't agree with since you feel he adds value by doing both.

Am I missing something?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Traded to the Vikings for a 5th

Ravens trade kicker Kaare Vedvik to Vikings

The Ravens capitalized quickly on Kaare Vedvik’s stellar preseason debut, trading the back-up kicker to the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday for an unspecified draft pick, Childs Walker of the Baltimore Sun reports.

Vedvik will be a candidate to kick and punt for the Vikings, who, according to ESPN, sent a 2020 fifth-rounder to the Ravens in return. The last kicker to be dealt for such a high pick was Pete Stoyanovich in 1996.

The Ravens had no job to offer the 25-year-old Vedvik with Justin Tucker and Sam Koch locked in as their kicker and punter, respectively. So they hoped Vedvik, who had his 2018 season wiped out after he was assaulted in downtown Baltimore, would kick impressively enough to facilitate a trade. He fulfilled their wishes with a spectacular performance Thursday night against the Jacksonville Jaguars, making all four of his field-goal attempts and booming punts of 53 and 58 yards.

“I’m really fired up for Kaare,” Ravens special teams coach Chris Horton said Sunday. “Like I told you guys before, Kaare was right on schedule. He was ready when we needed him to be. [Assistant special teams] Coach [Randy] Brown and myself, we did a great job getting him ready for this opportunity, and he went out Thursday night and had an awesome night. … He deserves it, after everything he’s been through. What an opportunity for him.”

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

What is strange to me is how the Bears had 8 free agents for their Kicker Clown Car tryout who all apparently sucked, yet teams like Carolina and Baltimore who aren't even looking for a new Ks are able to 'unearth' guys who are about to make FGs from 40+ yards.

I don't understand why its 'crazy' to think the Bears should give up a draft pick for a K...its still a need, right?

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
What is strange to me is how the Bears had 8 free agents for their Kicker Clown Car tryout who all apparently sucked, yet teams like Carolina and Baltimore who aren't even looking for a new Ks are able to 'unearth' guys who are about to make FGs from 40+ yards.

I don't understand why its 'crazy' to think the Bears should give up a draft pick for a K...its still a need, right?

from the rumors swirling the bears were in on the vedvick trade but vikings were willing to give up a 5th and bears were not. i'd love to have vedvick on this team but not at the cost of a 5th rounder...history has shown that trading for kickers has not gone well.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
i'd love to have vedvick on this team but not at the cost of a 5th rounder...history has shown that trading for kickers has not gone well.

Yo, when the Eagles traded for Cody Parkey in 2014, that guy ended up scoring 150 points and making the pro bowl.

Broncos traded for Brandon McManus 5 years ago, and he's still their regular kicker.