Zappa appreciation thread

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
One of my favorite things from his live shows, he's jamming and having some fun, then gets serious looking and puts some talc on his left hand, the crowd goes nuts, because he is about to shred, and yeah he is. I don't know what percentage of that was theatrics, but is was always fun.

Always theatrics. He used to have a big stuffed giraffe on stage, pumped full of whip cream, and the tail acted like a ... the audience would line up early to be in the front row.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Always theatrics. He used to have a big stuffed giraffe on stage, pumped full of whip cream, and the tail acted like a ... the audience would line up early to be in the front row.

One tour he hung a laundry line across the stage and would clear it before every show, and by the end of the show the 50' line was filled with womens underwear. I'm proud to say my wife's bra was in a place of prominence.

@Warden of the Northeast

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Zappa is someone I always meant to check out but the overwhelming size of his discography put me off. I've only heard Freak Out and Jazz from Hell. Where to next?

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Zappa is someone I always meant to check out but the overwhelming size of his discography put me off. I've only heard Freak Out and Jazz from Hell. Where to next?

Depends on your taste in music. Zappa did a fair bit of stuff to appeal to an audience, so he could go back and do the musical things he was really into. I think, if I recall correctly, that you are a MMW fan. Maybe try one of Zappa's earlier albums like Hot Rats. On the other side, there is his satire of Sgt. Pepper's and psychedelic music, We're only in it for the Money.

Uncle Meat might be interesting to you, or something more accessible like One Size Fits All. For a live album you could try The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

My favorites are Overnight Sensation, Apostrophe, Bongo Fury, One Size Fit's All, Sheik Yerbouti, and Joe's Garage.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
it seems to me zappa was very eclectic in style which is totally fine by me.

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Absolutely was he one of those rare geniuses that also saw talent and wasn't afraid surrounding himself with it. He worked with some damn fine musicians over the years.