Details of Nick Foles' contract released

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What other teams were offering a pick? We have a weak rumor that the Colts did, but then they signed Rivers.

The Bears had even greater leverage because Foles wanted to come here and was willing to redo his deal for the Bears.

Pace over paying again.
Adam Schefter reported multiple teams were inquiring about trading for him. I consider him a pretty viable source.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But Foles did that. The Jags did nothing.

In the Tannehill example, Miami ate money to facilitate that trade.

Yes but the point is the reason draft pick comp was expected to be less is that his contract was terrible. Doesn't matter who removed that obstacle. Once removed his value is higher. Seems likely Jags perhaps let the Bears talk to Foles before the deal was officially as the fact a restructure happened was announced same day as trade. We just didn't know the terms.

Nick Foles at the current contract discussed is worth more than Nick Foles at the old contract. Again I would still have gone with someone not requiring comp but I don't see how you can argue the structure is not better unless the terms are not what is now currently being reported.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Yeah hadn't heard that as that would be an interesting clause. That would seem weird to me because under the old deal if he played well, he would get the following with no need to prove himself.

2020 - $15.6
2021 - $20.6
2022 - $20.7

That is without worrying about hitting any incentives. By contrast, here is what he would now be getting.

2020 - $8m so $7.6m less with the ability to earn $6m more to get to $14m which would still be $1.6m less than what he would get otherwise.

2021 - If he hit all the incentives then he would get $14m so $6m more with ability to earn $6m more in incentives to get to $20m.

2022 - If he hit all the incentives then he would get $20m so $750k more with ability to earn $6m more in incentives to get to $26m.

So basically with that structure that would be a lot of money to put at risk based on incentives that he may not risk and wouldn't really be any upside to him except in the final year where he hit all the incentives for all 3 years he could max out at $26 million. Anything is possible but seems really odd to me if I were his agent.

without knowing what the incentives are its hard to say how much a risk there is. It could be as simple as start x amount of games. So if the insensitives are easily attained for him he has the ability to earn more. It also keeps his guarantee the same and gives him an out if Mitch continues to be the starter so he can move on to a team and become the starter.

Obviously its all speculation until more in known

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah just speculation at this point but I would think it it is better for him that if he blows up then he can be a free agent. If he sucks, the Bears are still locked in to giving him 20.25 million over 3 years. If I were him I would want to maximize my money if I were good and if I am not then I settle into a comfy backup role.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
You forgot keep drafting a QB every year until the Bears find a franchise QB. That’s what good teams do. Patriots, KC, Philly
Bears have drafted 1 less QB in the past 21 years over the Patriots (I included Jay cutler)

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

""
The restructured contract lowers Foles’ 2020 base salary from $15.125 million to $4 million, giving him a considerably smaller salary-cap hit of $5.33 million. Here is how the money breaks down in his new deal (all money is fully guaranteed with the exception of the 2022 base salary, which is guaranteed for $1 million):
  • 2020: $4 million base salary, $4 million signing bonus.
  • 2021: $4 million base salary, $4 million roster bonus.
  • 2022: $4 million base salary, $4 million roster bonus.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
without knowing what the incentives are its hard to say how much a risk there is. It could be as simple as start x amount of games. So if the insensitives are easily attained for him he has the ability to earn more. It also keeps his guarantee the same and gives him an out if Mitch continues to be the starter so he can move on to a team and become the starter.

Obviously its all speculation until more in known

The final two years of the contract would automatically void if Foles is on the field for at least half of the Bears’ offensive plays during the regular season and postseason and they reach the NFC championship game. The deal can be voided after two years if similar provisions are met in 2021.

So just as an update the void of the contract is based on us making NFC champ game and Foles playing half of offensive snaps. From Bears26 article.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Turns out to be a very nice deal for the Bears.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah just speculation at this point but I would think it it is better for him that if he blows up then he can be a free agent. If he sucks, the Bears are still locked in to giving him 20.25 million over 3 years. If I were him I would want to maximize my money if I were good and if I am not then I settle into a comfy backup role.

Exactly. Win for Foles to get his chance to prove worth and still be set either way.

+

It was my understanding the 4th Rd pick was basically the exchange for JAX is footing a $18.75m cap hit this year - allowing Bears' remaining hit to be lessened & spread out.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Turns out to be a very nice deal for the Bears.

Once again CCS was too quick to shit all over Pace for the trade before even knowing what the actual deal was.

Just sayin............

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Once again CCS was too quick to shit all over Pace for the trade before even knowing what the actual deal was.

Just sayin............

Yes and there were times when we will shit on Pace and end up being right. Such is life.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Just sayin............
You're such a dipshit.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yes and there were times when we will shit on Pace and end up being right. Such is life.

Well you would know since you shit on Pace no matter what he does.

Such is life in the world of negativity.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well you would know since you shit on Pace no matter what he does.

Such is life in the world of negativity.

Except of course I admitted it was a good deal once the full information came out. Unlike you I call it like I see it and if need be revise my opinion once new information is received.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
The final two years of the contract would automatically void if Foles is on the field for at least half of the Bears’ offensive plays during the regular season and postseason and they reach the NFC championship game. The deal can be voided after two years if similar provisions are met in 2021.

So just as an update the void of the contract is based on us making NFC champ game and Foles playing half of offensive snaps. From Bears26 article.

interesting, so Foles gets screwed over if Mitch continues to be the starter, he gets payed way less and no chance to meet the incentives and no chance to get out of a back up roll/contract.

of course there is not a big chance that happens, more then likely Mitch sucks again and Foles is the starter

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think from his perspective it is more about betting on himself to succeed. If he is not good enough to beat out Mitch then he likely wasn't going to be getting a big deal anyways but gets 21m guaranteed.

If he and the the team succeed then he can void the deal and get a bigger contract while earning up to 6 million in incentives. So that is pretty much what I expected.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
If Foles is getting backup pay does that mean Mitch starts and plays out his contract?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Those are some of the sign of the End of Times, and I quote:

"The End is nigh
when the orange guy
tries to trump
the Ursa bump
with Vaca pee
as potatoes flee
their earthly graves
whilst I, the Ho, craves
a president, not a Fole
,nor crook, nor a-hole"

This was written thousands of years ago, yet it mentions the 'orange guy' then uses trump as a form of outmaneuver (or con). Then it talks of the Ursa bump which is a reference to the Bears' cap space situation. Vaca is Spanish for cow, so cow piss leads to corona beer, a tie in to the corona virus. Potatoes fleeing their earthly graves talks about the earthquake in Idaho (I, the ho). It finally comes full circle where a real American president is needed, not some Fole (old english for fool/moron), crook and asshole.
Earthquake in Idaho? Even a thousand years ago, they'd know that was wrong...

:dramatic: