Place your bets on Bears starting QB

Madden

Liked Posts:
Tyler Bray impresses the coaches during preseason and outplays both Foles and Trubisky. He leads us to a 12-4 record and eventual Super Bowl win. The starting of Bray will be marked as a turning point for the franchise, and sparks the beginning of an incredible run of 5 consecutive Super Bowls.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I mean, I think Nagy lets Mitch compete for the job, but I think saying Foles was brought in as a backup just based on salary is disingenuous. In my eyes, the Trubisky/Foles combo is nothing more than a stop gap until they draft a QB in 2021. At that point, let Mitch walk, keep Foles for Vet presence and play the new guy when he's ready. That's how I envision this whole thing shaking out long term.
I think you are right. Hopefully Trubisky catches on and the game slows down for him and he is here the next ten years. But what you said is more realistic. I still have hope for Trubisky but I'm not blind. I do however think the Bears will give Trubisky the start at the beginning of the year. They want him to succeed. Foles is a break glass in case of emergency QB and hold down the fort while we look for the next QB.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Tyler Bray impresses the coaches during preseason and outplays both Foles and Trubisky. He leads us to a 12-4 record and eventual Super Bowl win. The starting of Bray will be marked as a turning point for the franchise, and sparks the beginning of an incredible run of 5 consecutive Super Bowls.
I'll have what he is having.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I think you are right. Hopefully Trubisky catches on and the game slows down for him and he is here the next ten years. But what you said is more realistic. I still have hope for Trubisky but I'm not blind. I do however think the Bears will give Trubisky the start at the beginning of the year. They want him to succeed. Foles is a break glass in case of emergency QB and hold down the fort while we look for the next QB.

You might not be blind, but trubisky sure seems to be.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, if the game hasn't slowed down for him at this point, I think it might be a lost cause.

Bearsgonewild

Liked Posts:
My last basket of avacados, yes from Mexico, on Foles as the better option.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
3 years 24 mil, if he does not opt out. If he opts out because Trubisky beats him out. 1 yr at 8 mil. I get how it works. It's a average back up salary in today's market. This is not starter money by any stretch. Starters get 3 times as much. Average starters like Dak want 40 mil per season. Bridgewater gets 25 per. Trubisky's option was for 25 for 1 season i believe. So why do some think Foles will start because the money invested? It's tiny.
There is no opt out clause if Mitch beats him out. Period.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They have every reason in the world to start Mitch. They have no reason to start Foles. Foles is here in case Mitch fails. If Mitch fails we are drafting QB next year. Foles does not change these facts.
They have all but already given up on MT, if Mitch starts week one it will have more to do with the shortened offseason than anything else.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
3 years 24 mil, if he does not opt out. If he opts out because Trubisky beats him out. 1 yr at 8 mil. I get how it works. It's a average back up salary in today's market. This is not starter money by any stretch. Starters get 3 times as much. Average starters like Dak want 40 mil per season. Bridgewater gets 25 per. Trubisky's option was for 25 for 1 season i believe. So why do some think Foles will start because the money invested? It's tiny.

Comparably
it is tiny. It is also the most the Bears can afford over the next two years. But, it is also makes him either the highest pair, or one of the highest paid backups in the NFL over the next two years as well. It is structured in such a way that Foles can still get a big payday if he performs. I doubt he would have agreed to these "incentives" had he not been given insurances that he will have every chance to earn them.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Foles has a opt out.
Only if he meets certain incentives. He can't hit those incentives if he doesn't play. Why would he opt out if MT beats him out for the starting job? You think teams will be lining up to pay him more money under those circumstances (which won't happen).

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I guess well find out guys. To me it's clear. It's Mitch's job to lose. I've been wrong before.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Only if he meets certain incentives. He can't hit those incentives if he doesn't play. Why would he opt out if MT beats him out for the starting job? You think teams will be lining up to pay him more money under those circumstances (which won't happen).
Ya I think he could make a hell of a lot more money if he was a starting NFL QB. If he does start he will be one of the lowest paid starting QBs. If not the lowest.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I guess it depends whether or not you believe they are paying a backup qb $17m guaranteed. I personally do not.
I think Foles is being paid for an open competition.

It's best for Pace and the team to have an open competition. Foles 'old' contract played a large part in this current Bears contract $/yrs. Think about it... Pace gave Glennon more ($18.5 guaranteed), and we know Pace already planned to get Trubisky, and start him as soon as possible.

Foles isn't so good that he could command a 'secret demand' that he starts (he got benched for a 6th rd rookie last season). If it doesn't benefit Pace to have a secret-start contract with Foles then it's not going to exit. Plus Foles is the type, and in the situation, to embrace an open competition.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I think Foles is being paid for an open competition.

It's best for Pace and the team to have an open competition. Foles 'old' contract played a large part in this current Bears contract $/yrs. Think about it... Pace gave Glennon more ($18.5 guaranteed), and we know Pace already planned to get Trubisky, and start him as soon as possible.

Foles isn't so good that he could command that he starts (he got benched for a 6th rd rookie last season).
Foles was worse then Mitch last year = why we could afford him = Pace did not really try to replace Mitch. If the Bears already gave up on Mitch then thought Foles is the answer then they got to go. If you're telling me they already know Mitch is not the answer and then they do no better then Foles = FK them. I pray you guys are wrong.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Foles was worse then Mitch last year = why we could afford him = Pace did not really try to replace Mitch. If the Bears already gave up on Mitch then thought Foles is the answer then they got to go. If you're telling me they already know Mitch is not the answer and then they do no better then Foles = FK them. I pray you guys are wrong.
I don't think you're wrong saying "It's Mitch's job to lose", if you mean there's a chance he won't start Game 1. I think Pace/Nagy would be thrilled if he's the best of the two. But look at it this way, they didn't give Mitch the 5th year option (yet, at least, and if they did, at this point, it would be a very luke warm gesture. This story says insider says they declined it, but have not announced it.) That says a lot. Add to that Pace said there will open competition. What logical reason would you have doubt it?

Who wouldn't benefit from there being a real competition? Pace benefits if either QB does well. He got both QBs. He'd love it if Mitch does well, but he's not going to sink the Bears and himself if Foles dispays he's clearly better.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
It's not who starts that's important but who finishes.

Mitch will start, Foles will finish

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I don't think you're wrong saying "It's Mitch's job to lose", if you mean there's a chance he won't start Game 1. I think Pace/Nagy would be thrilled if he's the best of the two. But look at it this way, they didn't give Mitch the 5th year option (yet, at least, and if they did, at this point, it would be a very luke warm gesture. This story says insider says they declined it, but have not announced it.) That says a lot. Add to that Pace said there will open competition. What logical reason would you have doubt it?

Who wouldn't benefit from there being a real competition? Pace benefits if either QB does well. He got both QBs. He'd love it if Mitch does well, but he's not going to sink the Bears and himself if Foles dispays he's clearly better.
i 100% believe there will be a fair competition. I just also believe the Bears want Mitch to succeed. They will start Foles if he is better, if he earns it.