Is Matt Nagy on the hot seat?

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was watching The Pat McAfee Show (with Pat McAfee) the other day and when asked about who’s seat was hottest entering the season his first answer was Matt Nagy. Personally, I think Nagy has done a good job with the Bears. Heck, he went 12-4 with Mitch Trubisky after all. I could see him being on the hot seat going into next year but firing him after this year seems like a big mistake.

What say you?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I absolutely think he could be on the hot seat this year and fired next year. (Right now, I would bet it's going to happen. He could be packing his bags with Pace.)

- Forget about coach of the year, we all know that was Fangio.
- He has nothing to do with the defense or special teams.
- He's supposedly in charge of the offense.
- We find out that he didn't have much to do with the running game or o-line.
- So all he's responsible for is the passing game and it's one of the worst in the league.
- To top it off, he admits that he doesn't coach mechanics because "You throw how you throw."
- It's getting hard to pin point anything he does. Call plays? He sucks at that too.

- He's got Nick Foles next year who's a SB MVP, if he cannot do something with that, then maybe it's time to admit he - like I said from the beginning - is a glorified QB coach who got fast tracked because of the allure of hiring a young "genius" offensive mind like other teams have done.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Why should we expect a huge improvement in the offense? They didn’t invest in it really at all. The big money all went to more defense.

Coaches are important but even they need playmakers and a good oline in order to make an elite offense. Until this organization gets serious about investing assets into the offensive side of the ball it’s not happening.

The money and assets are on defense, if they are to have a winning season it will be on their backs. We will be fortunate to have a top 20 offense.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I don't think he is on the hot seat. But another sub par, run the ball 5 times a game, 8 win season and I'd say his seat is hotter than two rats making love in a wool sock.

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
Pace's seat should be warm not really hot. If he goes Nagy probably does as well. I think it would take a 6-10 or less season which I don't see happening. I think they get one more year after this one.

cubsforlife

Liked Posts:
I absolutely think he could be on the hot seat this year and fired next year. (Right now, I would bet it's going to happen. He could be packing his bags with Pace.)

- So all he's responsible for is the passing game and it's one of the worst in the league.
- To top it off, he admits that he doesn't coach mechanics because "You throw how you throw."
- It's getting hard to pin point anything he does. Call plays? He sucks at that too.

- He's got Nick Foles next year who's a SB MVP, if he cannot do something with that, then maybe it's time to admit he - like I said from the beginning - is a glorified QB coach who got fast tracked because of the allure of hiring a young "genius" offensive mind like other teams have done.

I don't disagree with you here at all. I think the one thing he can currently bring to an offense is some outside of the box thinking and a huge playbook in which he only utilized a very small amount of last year. It worked well the first year, and failed miserably last year (lack of talent, bad coaching- him included-, as well as teams adjusting to what he does. I think he can improve dramatically if he is able to reflect and improve, instead of being so stubborn. His passing game will look a lot better if they can find out how to run the ball (hopefully castillo helps, might need some new starting OL for that to happen).

All that said, I think Nagy is a master motivator, and I think players are inspired to play for him on a level that is rare. On top of that, he is very good at handling the ego's within a locker room, and getting them to focus on a single task. I think this is where he is special, not so much with what we were sold on as being an offensive genius. However, for him to remain a head coach, he has to improve on the aspects laid out by you, as well as some of the points I mention in the first paragraph. I think he can do it, but we'll have to see.

With regard to your statement about doing something with Foles, I disagree. Foles is an older version of a guy who was on a roll and ended up winning SB MVP. He had never been a guy you would even come close to expecting that level of performance from, and this is coming from someone who always thought he was a solid QB (even as the Rams ruined him). He's not a guy I would say, if he cant work magic with him, then he sucks and should be gone. But, if Mitch doesn't improve (because he'll play if Foles sucks) and Foles sucks, then Nagy will be gone.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace's seat should be warm not really hot. If he goes Nagy probably does as well. I think it would take a 6-10 or less season which I don't see happening. I think they get one more year after this one.

Yep. The ultimate factor is the W-L record. If we sink below .500 with a championship defense and a putrid offense...he's not going to make it much longer. The biggest reason he was brought here was to modernize the offense. Finishing with a bottom 5 passing game (it was bottom 7 last year) is grounds for immediate dismissal.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

This is like saying a movie director should not get any credit for a great film because he was working from an outstanding script or hired a magnificent cinematographer even though he’s ultimately in charge of the whole process.

Any good coach is going to hire the best coordinators possible if they’re smart. Any business owner that is successful usually knows he doesn’t want to be the smartest guy in the room. Hire the best people and provide an atmosphere in which they are encouraged to flourish...

This fan base just sucks for the most part. It’s generally nihilistic and always ready to fire everyone and start over.

Nagy is a young coach that is 20-12 and he’s still learning. I think he’s intelligent enough to adapt and improve.

Nagy and Pace haven’t done everything right but Pace has built a tremendous defense and Nagy has an upward career trajectory.

Last edited:

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:

I strongly agree with everything said but the Foles part. If the offense on the whole is as discombobulated as last year then it's the coaching 100%. Wr's ran wrong routes, Oline had no clue who to block, young QB looking lost and not supported with any semblance of run support or playcalling to fit the talent he brings. We did not adjust to what we could do. Nagy is a first time HC and was not ready for it. He may get better, but he needs to show something this year.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is like saying a movie director should not get any credit for a great film because he was working from an outstanding script or hired a magnificent cinematographer even though he’s ultimately in charge of the whole process.

Any good coach is going to hire the best coordinators possible if they’re smart. Any business owner that is successful usually knows he doesn’t want to be the smartest guy in the room. Hire the best people and provide an atmosphere in which they are encouraged to flourish...

This fan base just sucks in for the most part. It’s just generally nihilistic and always ready to fire everyone and start over.

Nagy is a young coach that is 20-12 and he’s still learning. I think he’s intelligent enough to adapt and improve.

Nagy and Pace haven’t done everything right but Pace has built a tremendous defense and Nagy has an upward career trajectory.

What technical aspect of coaching does Nagy excel at?

Surrounding yourself with good coaches is part of it, but you've gotta bring something to the table too.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I actually like that Pace threw money at the defense.. It forces Nagy to prove he can make someone on offense better. Accountability falls on player development.
Not one single player on offense has developed into anything, most players have gotten worse under him. ARob was great, but even he’s been better...

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
What technical aspect of coaching does Nagy excel at?

Surrounding yourself with good coaches is part of it, but you've gotta bring something to the table too.

It’s funny you think you can judge what he does and doesn’t do without access. What you can look at is 20–12. It’s his record no matter who you want to credit.

I do know the players fight hard for him and do not quit. Typically strong leaders earn an effort like that.

JUSTFINGWIN

Liked Posts:
I hope so but probably not. I think this guy is a fraud...he sounds like he knows what he's doing but he really doesn't. He is a salesman and so is Pace. He has never risen to the occasion on any opportunity. Folks may point to 2018 but he essentially rode Vangio's coattails that season. Nagy is fool's gold folks.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Nagy is absolutely on the hot seat. You don't fire your entire offensive coaching staff otherwise.

If an offensive coach can't get his offense out of the cellar after 3 years he is gone.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It's a win now / what have you done for me lately league! So yes, HELL ya he is, and so is Pace.