Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Funny you mention him. He was one of the very few QBs big enough to take some hits and even he has a shortened career because of style of play. Classic pocket QBs play to into their 40s and mobile QBs don't make it to age 30 most the time. Mobile QBs are more fun to watch and are deadly but burn out fast. This does not include R Wilson, I rarely see him take a big hit. He is a very smart runner. He puts on a clinic every week on how to be mobile yet play a long time.

LMAO, that's rare. And you are 100% confusing mobile QBs with running QBs.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He (Watson) plays great back yard football but can't run a NFL offense from the pocket. He will be hurt a lot and not effective in the long haul. I'm sold on QBs that win with their decision making from the safety of the pocket. This new wave of mobile QBs are deadly but short lived. The human body can only take so much when much bigger guys are hitting you.

His QB rating on throws of 2.5 seconds or less (ie mostly in pocket) is 99.5. His QB rating over 2.5 seconds is 98.3. Most guys have huge disparities but Watson is pretty much pretty consistent whether he is in pocket or outside the pocket so not sure where this narrative is coming from.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is why most had Mitch as top guy in his draft. He seemed the most likely to acclimate to an NFL scheme and was thought to have the 2nd best arm. Hasn't worked out that way but it was not faulty reasoning.

That said, I thought Watson's reads were better last year though he still holds the ball way too long.

I think it was very faulty reasoning to think a guy with 13 college starts was most likely to acclimate to a new scheme relative to more seasoned players. While Fedora's O had RPOs and used 11 personnel so did Clemson and Texas Tech. Trubs did most of his damage from shotgun and quite frankly Fedora's scheme was designed to make things easy on the QB with half field reads and pre-determined throws. They also played up-tempo a lot. The reality is a lot of what Fedora did played to Mitch's strength which is he didn't give Mitch a lot to think about which is when Mitch is good. That is the same in the NFL when often times Mitch is better in up tempo and two minute drills where he doesn't have to think as his mental skills are quite frankly deficient.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Funny you mention him. He was one of the very few QBs big enough to take some hits and even he has a shortened career because of style of play. Classic pocket QBs play to into their 40s and mobile QBs don't make it to age 30 most the time. Mobile QBs are more fun to watch and are deadly but burn out fast. This does not include R Wilson, I rarely see him take a big hit. He is a very smart runner. He puts on a clinic every week on how to be mobile yet play a long time.

Mitch isn't going to survive as a classic pocket QB. Watson has always posted better numbers than him on throws 2.5 seconds or less even in 2018 when Mitch was decent.

So it is weird to still be white knighting for Mitch and knocking Watson on basis of the latter not being a pocket QB when Mitch is even less of a pocket QB.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, Mitch doesn't lie.

Viciousjay

Liked Posts:
Has anyone really looked at Watson's game to game stats? If it weren't for a few games like a 5 td performance his stats are almost right there with Trub, I mean sure there are more rushing and passing yards but Trubs has like 1/3 less attempts. Just some food for thought

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
His QB rating on throws of 2.5 seconds or less (ie mostly in pocket) is 99.5. His QB rating over 2.5 seconds is 98.3. Most guys have huge disparities but Watson is pretty much pretty consistent whether he is in pocket or outside the pocket so not sure where this narrative is coming from.
Noon30 homerjoe, PERIOD !!!!!

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Has anyone really looked at Watson's game to game stats? If it weren't for a few games like a 5 td performance his stats are almost right there with Trub, I mean sure there are more rushing and passing yards but Trubs has like 1/3 less attempts. Just some food for thought

I'll take a bite.

If you discount a "few games like a 5 td perfprmance" for Watson, why would you not also throw out the same "few games" Mitch performed at that level as well?

This would mean that his stats would still not be "almost right there with Trubs".

Even if you did not do such a thing, I love how his stats are "almost right there with Turbs" while simultaneously having "more rushing and passing yards" which contradicts the alleged statement his stats are "almost right there"... and that was even handicapping Watson's best games while letting Mitch keep his best games!

As to the 1/3 less attempts (fewer you mean but ok), then you would have to see if yards per attempt aligns together as "almost right there". Do they? (nope, not even close. Watson is doing well there and Mitch is one of the worst in the last 2 years and flat out worst among all QBs last year).

Also, Watson's gritty tough play, throwing a TD after getting kicked in the eye, his last minute heroics in the playoffs last year ... just no.

No.

I took a bite of this food for thought and am throwing this plate out. Watson >> Trubs and it isn't even close in any way.

Last edited:

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll take a bite.

If you discount a "few games like a 5 td perfprmance" for Watson, why would you not also throw out the same "few games" Mitch performed at that level as well?

This would mean that his stats would still not be "almost right there with Trubs".

Even if you did not do such a thing, I love how his stats are "almost right there with Turbs" while simultaneously having "more rushing and passing yards" which contradicts the alleged statement his stats are "almost right there"... and that was even handicapping Watson's best games while letting Mitch keep his best games!

As to the 1/3 less attempts (fewer you mean but ok), then you would have to see if yards per attempt aligns together as "almost right there". Do they? (nope, not even close. Watson is doing well there and Mitch is one of the worst in the last 2 years and flat out worst among all QBs last year).

Also, Watson's gritty tough play, throwing a TD after getting kicked in the eye, his last minute heroics in the playoffs last year ... just no.

No.

I took a bite of this food for thought and am throwing this plate out. Watson >> Trubs and it isn't even close in any way.
It's hard to believe that some posters on here still want to make Trubisky comparisons to Watson !! It's fucking mind boggling.