Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Doesn't surprise me at all.

He wrote a book on leadership (super Christian in its writing by the way). Old school, steeped in his religious beliefs which worked fine for him as a player but I don't think he can adapt to new generations. He only has one "tool" to work with and coaching is about many ways of reaching your players: giving the ways to win and being bought into by everyone regardless of delivery, tone, different beliefs, etc.

It's a skill set that I have long suspected he cannot even begin to comprehend how to pull it off. He is not alone either. Ditka would fail if he was the same temperament and coming up in the NFL now - he would faceplant with a losing record even if he had a contender like NE, KC, NO, BAL,et al

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

He wrote a book on leadership (super Christian in its writing by the way). Old school, steeped in his religious beliefs which worked fine for him as a player but I don't think he can adapt to new generations. He only has one "tool" to work with and coaching is about many ways of reaching your players: giving the ways to win and being bought into by everyone regardless of delivery, tone, different beliefs, etc.

It's a skill set that I have long suspected he cannot even begin to comprehend how to pull it off. He is not alone either. Ditka would fail if he was the same temperament and coming up in the NFL now - he would faceplant with a losing record even if he had a contender like NE, KC, NO, BAL,et al

Christ, I am sounding like an old man lately. This was basically a variant of "damn kids these days" hahaha

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
I mean, have you heard Mike Singletary speak?? Is it any wonder that he hasn't been successful as a football coach? My HS coach was dumb as a box of rocks and we managed state 4A playoffs 2 of my 4 years. Mike Singletary was a great LB. The end.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

There's a high school in the western suburbs (I say that as if I know if you even live in the Chicagoland area) where the football team has a gameroom setup where there's 3 or 4 playstations and they have Madden tournaments. Just an example of how you're right. The best coaches understand how to interact with the youth.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There's a high school in the western suburbs (I say that as if I know if you even live in the Chicagoland area) where the football team has a gameroom setup where there's 3 or 4 playstations and they have Madden tournaments. Just an example of how you're right. The best coaches understand how to interact with the youth.

I am in PA mountain area - Steeler country. It would make sense to teach HS kids the playbook by creating a custom file to be shared online or USB. SOmething tells me that Singletary would not only disagree with that, he would be OFFENDED and rant about the lost youth of America in a (not so) slightly unbalanced evangelical tone.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Unnecessary emotion as motivation puts people off. Particularly younger people. And Singletary is very emo.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Can't win with em.
Can't do it.
Won't do it.

LetsGo34

Liked Posts:
Bill Belichick seems to do alright and he does not seem to care about players feelings or connecting with the culture.
Key to belichick is that he only brings in players who will work his system and do what he asks of them.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Mike really seems to pump himself up a lot, but nobody else gets excited so it really doesn't work very well for him.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I think he should become a priest or a minister. He'd be good in that role. People would be somewhat forced to follow.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Well, many religions require people to follow a defined path and ask limited number of questions. In that sort of world someone like Mike can not only be adequate, but possibly strive. I could see him as an extremely passionate pastor who if you've already bought into the message he's providing a level of energy that's refreshing and appreciated.

Reggie White (RIP) was similar. When he spoke in the church people loved him. Sometimes he'd step over the line when it came to racial stereotypes or homosexuality, but within those walls he was given that latitude to preach his way.

Specifically to the "forced to follow" part most people don't make objective decisions to join a specific following. Their family/network was a specific religion and went to a specific church, so they did the same. It's not like they take some time, look at all religions and pick one that feels like it's for them. Often in that world the actual person delivering the message from God can be kinda boring.

I don't mean this as a knock on organized religion or Singletary himself. I think everyone has recognized that he not a good coaching fit for this era. But, I do think he'd find a fulfilling next career within the church and I also think they would appreciate someone that has his level of energy and cache.